21 yr old- 2600 FUT- Pre and Post op pics, Please comment

OM

Im a 21 yr old- norwood 3V-4ish (because Im a diffuse thinner). Just got 2600 grafts throughout my thinning scalp (approx 400 grafts to the crown. As you can see I also reconstructed a new hairline. I measure my new hair line to be about 5.5 cm from top of eye brow to about 7 cm from bridge of nose. Attached are my pre op pics and post op pics. Note: the post op pics look thinner because I had surgical lube in my hair (didnt shave it for the procedure)- Please comment about the pics and what you think about the new hair line placement

91910769_64C76BA86563DA11E770FB53A47D577B.JPG.thumb 81910769_E6895C90F6AF68558FFF330D7B150E7A.JPG.thumb 71910769_D593E886662ED4AEE4AB9A10C6FE578A.JPG.thumb 61910769_733DAD9130354CE8A54B08468D89670B.JPG.thumb 51910769_7D50D291DE0BCCF73CCE7881405351AA.JPG.thumb 41910769_E28510FF0D965B456F4CEEC4E899B5FE.JPG.thumb 31910769_73212DF158B782AE185CFDACCCF7B811.JPG.thumb 17410869_6277754B0EE1A1291E30FD943BA300B7.JPG.thumb 12910769_F3E077501CF52C05EA8E79C22902E42A.JPG.thumb

Im a 21 yr old- norwood 3V-4ish (because Im a diffuse thinner). Just got 2600 grafts throughout my thinning scalp (approx 400 grafts to the crown. As you can see I also reconstructed a new hairline. I measure my new hair line to be about 5.5 cm from top of eye brow to about 7 cm from bridge of nose. Attached are my pre op pics and post op pics. Note: the post op pics look thinner because I had surgical lube in my hair (didnt shave it for the procedure)- Please comment about the pics and what you think about the new hair line placement

91910769_64C76BA86563DA11E770FB53A47D577B.JPG.thumb 81910769_E6895C90F6AF68558FFF330D7B150E7A.JPG.thumb 71910769_D593E886662ED4AEE4AB9A10C6FE578A.JPG.thumb 61910769_733DAD9130354CE8A54B08468D89670B.JPG.thumb 51910769_7D50D291DE0BCCF73CCE7881405351AA.JPG.thumb 41910769_E28510FF0D965B456F4CEEC4E899B5FE.JPG.thumb 31910769_73212DF158B782AE185CFDACCCF7B811.JPG.thumb 17410869_6277754B0EE1A1291E30FD943BA300B7.JPG.thumb 12910769_F3E077501CF52C05EA8E79C22902E42A.JPG.thumb

I posted the the dates on the pics, all the pre-ops are on 1/15/09, the post ops are either 1/16 or 1/17, I have been trying to take clearer pics of post ops- but i got to figure out how to fix that on my camera. Im new to this forum so Im trying to figure out how to add more pics to the same gallery. Also my hair blocks alot of the transplant of the top and crown area ( I dont want to move my hair around to much yet so I dont mess up the grafts)so I am just posting the front and side pics. As for the transplant sugeon- I dont want to disclose the name just yet -because I feel that the comments might be biased.

At 21 and having lost as much hair as you have already Im not sure a HT is the best idea. Chances are you will end up a NW7 . Sorry to be so negative but I think you should have just shaved and called it a day. I would hope that any ethical surgeon would have realized this fact as well.

I put a lot of thought and research into deciding whether or not to get a transplant. I have consulted multiple hair restoration docs and they have all come to the consensus that I would be a norwood 6 max. If you take a look at my donor area you should realized that it is nice and thick. According to my surgeon I should be able to pull out at least 10,000 grafts, and I dont think he was adding the extras I can pull out using FUE. Consdering my head size measurements that should be more than enough to cover my head entirely. I have also started propecia, minoxidil and will start the laser comb. So that should at least slow down if not improve my hair loss problem. Also, if worse comes to worse, I have an adequate supply of body hair if needed. All this is not even including the rapid advancements occuring in the hair loss industry(hair multiplication, folica studies, etc..). As long as I can maintain or slow down my hair loss, I shouldnt even have to worry about depleting my donor supply. I consider myself to be a fairly self concious person, so shaving my head is not an option. Being completely bald my be a good option for some, but not for me. Any other comments or crticisms are much appreciated, especially for some of the more knowlegeble people/docs on this forum.

I don't necessarily disagree with your choice, as you seem to have a solid grasp of your situation and are prepared for the future decisions that may very well be necessary.

10k+ from strip alone basically means you are set for life; so, unless your doc is a bullshitter (and most if not all of the good ones are conservative in the estimations they give) you should be fine.

This should op should give you a good turn-around, but it's tough to say how much perceived-density we will actually get till it grows...

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Hi OM:

Congratulations on getting the procedure done. now all you have to do is wait to see the results icon_smile.gif. You seem to have done your homework well on the different options and research going on, but as thanatopsis mentioned, 10K is a solid amount and should be more than enough to give you decent coverage.

On the 'current' research going on, don't hold your breath; I've been reading the same research for nearly 5 -6 years now and there has been minimal progress. Also, don't waste your money on a laser comb. I remember reading a fairly comprehensive thread on the benefits (or quackery) of laser combs and laser therapy on this forum - I think it will help you in making an informed decision.

Who was your HT doc? Also, any reason you decided to go with only 2600 grafts?

Dr. Rahal - 4069 Grafts - December 11, 2008

1's - 720, 2's - 2197, 3's - 1152 = Total Hair - 8570

Proscar 1 mg - Rogaine 5% - Nizoral 1% (3 times a week)

My Hair Loss WebLog

I have consulted multiple hair restoration docs and they have all come to the consensus that I would be a norwood 6 max

I'd like to know who is telling you at 21 years old that they can predict that the max NW level you would reach.

It does appear that you have great donar and that is wonderful for you, but atleast 10,000 seems to be a stretch.

Any ways Im not here to be negative and I wish you all the best in your journey.

Hi ReadyForChange:

I dont want to disclose my doc just yet, as nobody has responded to the quality of work done on me. The only reason I mention the research is that I feel that by the time I need to deplete all my donor hair to keep up with the progression of my hairloss, especially after the use of propecia, minoxidil, etc., I believe that there will be a legitamate breakthrough in the techniques available for hair restoration. As for the laser comb, I have read threads on the laser comb, some positive and many stating no results. In my stage of hair loss maintainance is key, even the analysis of the studies showed by the highly esteemed doctors on the forum, and the clinical studies themselves show that hair was pretty much maintained if not gained. Lasers have been used medically to accelarate healing. So Im thinking if worse comes to worse it should help me heal from the hair transplant quicker and maybe even spur early hair growth of the transplanted hair. Nevertheless, I have a guarantee that if I dont feel that it works for me in 6 months then I can get a FULL refund. So for me there is nothing to lose.

My pre-op pics may depict the hair loss worse than it actually looks because I think I used flash for them. I have a little worse than a 3V. So 2600 grafts seemed like enough to provide pretty decent coverage (any DOCTORs on this site wanna give their insight?) and give me a hairline that is 50 grafts per cm^2. I also am pretty optimistic that the propecia/mino combo will help me improve my crown and mid top region. I wanna be able to go atleast 4 yrs before getting another procedure done. If propecia and mino dont help enough I can use concelers as well for that region. Concelers have worked well for me thus far, believe it or not its hard to tell that Im balding with it on. With the transplant I should atleast have a nice hairline.

Hi Dakota,

I guess one cannot guarantee that I will not reach a norwood 7, however, considering that I am a diffuse thinner, my balding pattern seems to be pretty evident. I dont see any miniturization in leading me to conclude that a norwood 7 would be unlikely. Let just say that i dont have 10,000 available grafts , maybe 6000-7000 (the average amount). That would atleast frame my face, give me coverage on the top and maybe an appearence of a thinning crown. Which would be somewhat ok for me when I am much older. At least I will be able to enjoy my 20's and prolly most of 30's with the donor hair I got (I will be on propecia and minox). In addition I could used BHT to help with coverage. And this is not taking into consideration that at least in 10-20 yrs we might make major breakthorughs in hair restoration.

Hi OM,

I think all of us that are higher on the NW scale are hopefull of a major breakthorugh in the next 10-20 years. From pics I thought you could've waited a few years on the HT, but realize how tough hairloss can be on a young guy. I think you'll see a really nice improvement.

Your donor looks very good, but I think donors would be difficult to evaluate at a really young age. I know the docs have told you that you'd max at NW6, but look for pics of male relatives (grandparents on both sides, father, etc.) and if you could locate pics through their ealier years on how their hairloss progressed, that would help. I found mine closely matches my maternal grandfather, and saw pics of when he was in his 30's and his pattern was exactly like mine. Grow well!

The work looks alright, but it's really impossible to make any sort of conclusive judement with the pics that show the immediate-post-ops; the clearest shot is from 2days out, and scabbing etc has already commenced.

Most if not all veteran members wouldn't have their opinion swayed either way, IMO, on the perceived quality of work regardless of doctor. If anything, a heralded doctor will get extra-honesty if the work looks unusually poor; and an "infamous" doctor/clinic will get extra-honesty if the work happens to look good.

Also, how the work looks from immediate post-ops you can sometimes get an idea if the result will be poor, IMO, but just because the work looks "good" from that vantage doesn't mean the actual result will be good.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

At least I will be able to enjoy my 20's and prolly most of 30's with the donor hair I got (I will be on propecia and minox). In addition I could used BHT to help with coverage. And this is not taking into consideration that at least in 10-20 yrs we might make major breakthorughs in hair restoration

OM,, Good point man. Its nice to see some positive spin. You do have one thing on your side. Its age! All of us hope that some "miricle" cure is right around the corner. Magic pill, hair cloning, etc!!!!! Until then all we can do is try to keep up with our hair loss and cross our fingers. You enjoy your 20's! They go by too fast. LOL.