FUT refinement over FUE?

Woody1000

Hi lads, 

so again I’m back asking general questions (hope you don’t mind) 

When FUT grafts are being refined, are they refined much smaller than the FUE counterpart in regards to punch size? 

i look at Dr Koniors work and his FUT grafts seem to hold much less “tissue” once refined compared to the FUE punched grafts.

does graft refinement help stop pitting and unnecessary tissue growth and yield a better chance of taking root? 

why does refinement not happen within FUE procedures if one would use a larger punch? As some clinics using FUE have a lot of graft tissue hanging out the patients head. 

Does anyone know if FUE does undergo graft refinement too where necessary? 

thanks all

• Administrators

Because the grafts are already thin, refining them further could skeletonize the grafts.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It depends on the clinic. Several clinics trim grafts regardless of them being harvested by FUT (in which they of course must be trimmed) or FUE. Some clinics trim grafts to be very small ('skeletonized'). The latter is important if you want to really dense pack. Look at different post-op pictures from various clinics. Some have this very prominent white residue around the grafts after placement, whereas other clinics (e.g., H&W, Konior, etc.) do not have this tissue surrounding the grafts, thereby they can also pack at a higher density, and slits also can be smaller (= less pressure on surrounding grafts and less trauma to the scalp). In the right technical hands, a skeletonized graft has the same rate of survival as a non- or less trimmed graft.

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

I'm sure all the comments are spot on, but FUE results are fantastic with almost no discernible scarring from a couple feet away (based on my experience).  I'm sure the debate will always continue between FUT and FUE but I just didn't want to have that lengthy permanent scar with FUT.  Just my thoughts.  Best of luck which ever route you decide to go.  I'm sure your results will be great.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.