How will I look 13 days after the FUE transplant?

Hi - I'm having a FUE transplant on 19 September with Dr Greg Williams at Farjo.  I'm speaking at a conference 13 days later. 

Will the scabs have dropped away from the donor area at least, ie. the lower back?

I'll be partially shaved on the areas on the photos.  Local shave.  Will this still look terrible 13 days out or can it be dealt with through any cosmetic techniques?  I'm concerned about being self-consious.  At the least, will the obvious blooded bits be gone?  thanks

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Hi, the bloody bits will be gone by day 13. Actually, you might not look too bad from above, depending on how the implanted hair covers the redness of your scalp. I spoke at a conference 3 weeks after my HT and I was fine. 

• Valued Contributor

@craig1982

The scabs on the recipient area can easily be taken off before 13 days and i think that area won't be too noticeable to others plus i think at just 13 days most of your transplanted hairs will be there as usually they keep on hanging for more than 13 days easily before they start falling off so the area would be dark and won't highlight much and due to those hairs the redness will not get highlighted...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

What you will look like depends on what you mean by "partially shaved". Your scabs should be gone by day 7 or 8, but you will probably be red (like a sunburn) in the recipient area. The good thing is that the recipient area is small and on the back of your head. Get there early enough that you get to pick your seat. Try not to sit in the front row where the whole room is looking at the back of your head. Sit in the back or stand in the back corner of the room whenever you aren't giving your presentation. 

• Moderators

If you are combing your hair over from the side then you should be able to cover it pretty well. You don't have much hair in that spot now, so you're not going to lose much. It's just a matter of being able to hide it with existing hair which looks like you can probably do. I've been doing a series of small HT repair sessions to add density to very thin hair and I've always been able to go back to work within 8 to 10 days without anyone noticing.

EDIT: I should add that I am not having the area being worked on shaved though.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Everyone's tolerance regarding how acceptable they look post op is different:- some people rock a crazy hair cut with no care in the world, while other patients freak out about the slightest redness. However in general by day 13 your donor area will be well healed and even your recipient area should look relatively clean. 

Edited by Bhumik Shah MD
  • Like 1

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

@craig1982,

Below is an example of one of Dr. Rahal‘s patients who of course had FUE.  As I’m sure you can see, this is proof that the donor area can look not only very well healed 13 days postop but the donor can look like essentially no signs of surgery ever took place even when the size and back of the hair is worn at exceptionally short lengths.   Below is a picture of one of Dr. Rahal‘s patients immediately postop and then again at day 9,  

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Post-Op

B6A89643-500B-44A0-A6D1-2D03E4E95878.thumb.jpeg.0b7765368bee4c73eff29320a91c8e0d.jpeg

Day 9

878254E4-54DA-4940-A8FE-3542EA83B1C5.thumb.jpeg.3658fb5e67c75ec4082792603e551901.jpeg

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.