Beard hair to scalp transplant?

So as the title suggests have a question about beard hair grafts. So obviously these (along with other body hair) are very useful for people with high Norwood levels and/ or depleted donors.

My question is, does anybody know what the largest number of beard hairs transplanted is? I've seen some that have given close to 8,000 are there others that have given more?

Also, if someone needs the coverage and has no desire to grow a beard, can they harvest their entire beard to transplant to the scalp?

• Valued Contributor

Beard hair (if it is a good match) blended well with scalp hair works well as a filler. Rahul had close to 9k beard grafts used unless I’m mistaken. But you always need scalp hair (and the correct scalp hair chosen) for the hairline, temple points and the crown. Even people like myself who have had over 7k beard grafts harvested need to have the beard donor area harvested correctly. I can still grow a beard and having stubble looks ‘natural’ IMHO as an adult. All the best! 

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Beard hair (if it is a good match) blended well with scalp hair works well as a filler. Rahul had close to 9k beard grafts used unless I’m mistaken. But you always need scalp hair (and the correct scalp hair chosen) for the hairline, temple points and the crown. Even people like myself who have had over 7k beard grafts harvested need to have the beard donor area harvested correctly. I can still grow a beard and having stubble looks ‘natural’ IMHO as an adult. All the best! 

Did you have a particularly heavy beard? And if you were willing to take your whole beard, how many many grafts do you think you could get?

I did come across Rahul. From what I read he only had about 1,500 scalp grafts and the rest was pretty much all beard; only a small amount of chest.

Edited by HairAffair27

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Do you have any scars on your beard area?

Edited by 12S

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

I still have some slight redness below my cheeks which I expect to fade by the end of 12 months post op. 

Could you please show us a photo of your beard area fully shaved? And your hair transplant with the beard grafts? Aren't beard hairs more wavy and thicker than hair from scalp?

• Valued Contributor
17 minutes ago, 12S said:

Could you please show us a photo of your beard area fully shaved? And your hair transplant with the beard grafts? Aren't beard hairs more wavy and thicker than hair from scalp?

There’s plenty in my thread. 👍

• Thanks 1

Beard grafts should be mixed with scalp grafts to achive natural results, the clinic will punch both scalp and beard at the same surgery day.

Beard grafts should placed over the crown and middle, never over the hairline.

Mostly it will be preferred to punch the facial beard grafts since the hair angles are consistent compare to neck beard.

I prefer to approach beard session as 2nd priority or additional feature than substantial main source donor.

• Thanks 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

3 minutes ago, Doron Harati said:

Beard grafts should be mixed with scalp grafts to achive natural results, the clinic will punch both scalp and beard at the same surgery day.

Beard grafts should placed over the crown and middle, never over the hairline.

Mostly it will be preferred to punch the facial beard grafts since the hair angles are consistent compare to neck beard.

I prefer to approach beard session as 2nd priority or additional feature than substantial main source donor.

Do beard hairs grow wavy on the scalp? My hair is straight so I wouldn't want to mix that with thicker wavy beard hair. Would beard hairs from the side near the ears be more suitable or do these not grow long enough to place on scalp?

21 minutes ago, 12S said:

Do beard hairs grow wavy on the scalp? My hair is straight so I wouldn't want to mix that with thicker wavy beard hair. Would beard hairs from the side near the ears be more suitable or do these not grow long enough to place on scalp?

They behave the same way they did on face and slowly change to match the characteristics of the scalp. I suggest reading Gatsby thread, the things he explained is happening to my beard hairs as well more or less at the same rate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 12S said:

Every case should be personally diagnosed with it's own characteristics.

• Thanks 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

• Valued Contributor

@HairAffair27

Practically any hair can be taken out and relocated to other place with surgery...imo beard/body hairs plans an important role when a patient has high grade of baldness...but it has some drawbacks too..

- The texture of beard/body hairs is significantly different to the scalp hairs and they have to be properly mixed with scalp grafts or else the outcome wont be natural..

- More the beard/body grafts used more the unnatural visual appearance it would create 

- The hair cycle of scalp hairs and body/beard hairs is different so patient has to cope up with that too.

- Beard/body grafts have very less amount of multiple hair and mostly consist of single or double hair grafts so the average hairs per grafts ratio will be low and that results in less density comparatively..

- They can't be used on hairlines as they will look way unnatural over there..

- You get less for what you pay for due to survival/transection issues and also lower average hairs per graft  ratio.

- Scarring can be an issue too in some cases even if you go to some of the best doctors in the business as there are somethings which are beyond the surgical skills and not in hands of a doctor...because scar formation also depends on skin type and not just surgical skills

So imho beard/body hairs play an important role but has certain limitations too and if the scalp donor is short of supply and if the beard/body hair grafts needed to be used in excessive amount and has very high ratio compared to the scalp grafts than keep your expectations in check....

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023