Redness after almost 6 wks...is this normal? (Female hair transplant)

Hello guys.

I had somewhat around 2500 grafts 38 days ago. Two days ago my doctor prescribed me antibiotics because I had two pimples which were diagnosed as Folliculitis. Regimen: Doxycycline 100 mgs, 2 tablets a day for 14 days and then 1 tablet a day for another 14 days.

I was wondering

1. if the general redness can be related to Folliculitis in my recipient area,
  2. if the redness seems to be "normal" at my stage of progress and
  3. if the redness seems to have increased compared to day 14 (see images below).

Images of day 38 post-op.

20230812_162644.thumb.jpg.d1063135985553477f3085be904731d2.jpg20230812_162647.thumb.jpg.80dae756a69eb186f4d8ccfe5c049980.jpg

The next image shows my scalp from day 14 post-op:

20230719_122335a.thumb.jpg.7eebc12de1712296996a4bfe0bba7859.jpg20230719_122339a.thumb.jpg.ffd19a3858a6e534aec8f7f9c8c07a33.jpg

Edited by germangal
  • Thanks 1

looks like a completely normal post-op hair transplant to me. Redness can last up to 3 months. Redness without any other symptoms can be considered completely normal. 

Also, many docs will prescribe Doxycline 2x day for the first 5 days by default, follicitus or not. 

So it is interesting to me that you were not prescribed antibiotics until you presented with follicitus. And taking it for 2 weeks as opposed to just 5 days. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

looks like a completely normal post-op hair transplant to me. Redness can last up to 3 months. Redness without any other symptoms can be considered completely normal. 

Also, many docs will prescribe Doxycline 2x day for the first 5 days by default, follicitus or not. 

So it is interesting to me that you were not prescribed antibiotics until you presented with follicitus. And taking it for 2 weeks as opposed to just 5 days. 

Directly following HT I was given a 2 day supply of Amoxicillin. These were the first antibiotics I received. Now is the second time but much longer.

• Valued Contributor

@germangalEverything seems normal and redness takes time to fade away...might take around 3 months...actually scalp takes more time to completely heal...

There may be a case where you may not notice more redness but that can be a reason that you are into shedding phase and that will highlight redness more aggressively as there will be no hairs to hide it and the scalp will be exposed to your eyes....generally antibiotics are prescribed for 5/7 days post surgery so avoid such scalp infection related issues....but now you are already taking them and things will clear in few days and you don't need to worry about this...

• Like 2

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Valued Contributor

I still had linegring redness (but with no signs of folliculitis) all the way through to around the 9-10 month mark. It happens occasionally. 2nd HT, albeit must, much smaller, left no noticeable redness after that a couple of week.

Nothing to worry about. Just keep everything out of the sun, and something to clam the area like aloe vera gel won't do any harm.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

I still had linegring redness (but with no signs of folliculitis) all the way through to around the 9-10 month mark. It happens occasionally. 2nd HT, albeit must, much smaller, left no noticeable redness after that a couple of week.

Nothing to worry about. Just keep everything out of the sun, and something to clam the area like aloe vera gel won't do any harm.

9-10 months, wow that's a lot but good to know.

Actually my doctor discouraged me from using Aloe Vera gel, apparently due to its photosensitive properties.

Edited by germangal
  • Like 1

I think it is normal. I have some faint residual redness and it's 7 months since procedure. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Day 49 (7 week) post-op update:

Taking antibiotics for 12 days now, 16 more to go. The pimples ("Folliculitis" according to my clinic) are gone but the redness keeps unchanged. Looks worse in different lighting conditions. Sometimes when I get up in the morning I think I see some minimal improvement but I am not sure.

Clinic says "redness is normal and improvement will take time, it depends on my skin type".

If there is any doctor on this board I would be grateful to get a second opinion. (I think I have seen a certified doctor in another topic but I am not sure.)

At least I am happy about my high-resolution cell phone camera to provide some really close-up detailed images...lol.

Does somebody know if sweating/straining (weight training) does exacerbate the redness? Normally I do a lot of exercise during the week. Clinic told me I can do weight training and sweat again after the week 4 mark had passed.

20230823_134642a.jpg

20230823_134648a.jpg

20230823_134653a.jpg

20230823_135909a.jpg

20230823_135905a.jpg

Edited by germangal

• Administrators

Have you been given any topical ointments? Sweating at this point shouldn't have any effect on your skin. Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope this resolves soon.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, germangal said:

I asked for an ointment (topical steroid) and aloe vera gel but they said I should not use that. Only the antibiotic tablets.

Not that I'm suggesting you disregard what your doctor has said but the use of aloe vera or other creams/topicals to sooth redness is very common among HT patients. When I enquired to Eugenix about my redness, their advice was to apply aloe vera twice daily. I can't say for sure that it helped but it certainly didn't hurt.

The concerns your doctor has about the photosensitive properties of aloe vera gel is easily addressed by simply keeping the recipient area out of the sun I'd have thought!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I’m not a doctor but after my recent second hair transplant this year I had redness for a good four months. It is gone now and I had no redness after my first procedure 18 months ago. 

This is good to know.

6 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Not that I'm suggesting you disregard what your doctor has said but the use of aloe vera or other creams/topicals to sooth redness is very common among HT patients. When I enquired to Eugenix about my redness, their advice was to apply aloe vera twice daily. I can't say for sure that it helped but it certainly didn't hurt.

The concerns your doctor has about the photosensitive properties of aloe vera gel is easily addressed by simply keeping the recipient area out of the sun I'd have thought!

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Even the doxycycline has skin photosensibility as a side effect and they prescribed it to me for a full four weeks. I think I will wait another week and maybe then bring this up to the doctor's attention again.

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, germangal said:

This is good to know.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Even the doxycycline has skin photosensibility as a side effect and they prescribed it to me for a full four weeks. I think I will wait another week and maybe then bring this up to the doctor's attention again.

Who is your doctor/which clinic did you go to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berba11 said:

Who is your doctor/which clinic did you go to?

I was at "Facialteam" in Marbella (Spain). They are a team of doctors who mostly do gender-affirming surgeries including hair transplants. Surgeries take place at the HC Marbella Private Hospital.

The doctor operating me specifiically was Dr Ana Mota Burgos and the hair technicians at Facialteam. I also had a follow-up at day 6 post-op with Dr Teresa Meyer.

Edited by germangal
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor
18 minutes ago, germangal said:

I was at "Facialteam" in Marbella. They are a team of doctors who mostly do gender-affirming surgeries including hair transplants. The doctor operating me specifiically was Dr Ana Mota Burgos and the hair technicians at Facialteam. I also had a follow-up at day 6 post-op with Dr Teresa Meyer.

Ok cool. I hadn't heard of them before so it will be interesting to follow your case and see how the results turn out. Whatever the reason that a person decides to seek a HT, it's always good to broaden our horizons in terms knowing more clinics & doctors, what sort of work they do and how well they do it, so thanks for the info :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the latest pics show good improvement of redness. I am a female scheduled for a transplant in pretty much the same area as you. Anxiety is creeping in about how to camouflage the site in the weeks following the procedure. Can you tell us anything about how you wear your hair while healing? I assume you are wearing bangs or hats. And pictures of your progress since you last posted would be so appreciated. Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 12:53 AM, Merchmom said:

I think the latest pics show good improvement of redness. I am a female scheduled for a transplant in pretty much the same area as you. Anxiety is creeping in about how to camouflage the site in the weeks following the procedure. Can you tell us anything about how you wear your hair while healing? I assume you are wearing bangs or hats. And pictures of your progress since you last posted would be so appreciated. Thank you :)

Sure thing. This is day 105 (3.5 months):

• Hair is sprouting
  • Redness/Discoloration still present, it shows more or less obvious in different lighting conditions; I think getting better but very slowly (clinic says "it is normal", "it depends on my skin" and "I would have to be patient")
  • Clinic discourages the use of medication, ointments etc. for the redness
  • No more folliculitis so far
  • Sometimes itchy scalp below the center of the hairline
  • Some numbness remaining on top of the head but getting better slowly
  • Still wearing a cap outside
  • At work I try to cover my temples with the remaining hair

20231020_155111a.jpg

20231020_155114a.jpg

Edited by germangal

Thank you so much for the update. I think your hairline is looking really good! The waiting has got to be the hardest part. I think I am going to postpone until my kids are out of the house so I can recover without them around to see it. Again, redness looks to be much improved and the new hair coming in looks fantastic. Any regrets or are you happy now that you are over the hump?  Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement. Right now I have some mixed feelings about my progress. My clinic put me on doxycycline 100 mgs/d today for one week again after I reported having a newly formed pimple. I also was hoping for some kind of treatment to my lingering redness/discoloration. I was prescribed a topical steroid by my dermatologist but my hair clinic suggested my not to use it. Right now there is not a lot I can do except for waiting. Going out in the sun without a headpiece is still a no-no until the end of the year at least. (I was hoping for a vacation in Thailand but - according to my clinic - that shouldn't happen without wearing a hat all the time.)

Edited by germangal

• Valued Contributor
36 minutes ago, germangal said:

Thanks for the encouragement. Right now I have some mixed feelings about my progress. My clinic put me on doxycycline 100 mgs/d today for one week again after I reported having a newly formed pimple. I also was hoping for some kind of treatment to my lingering redness/discoloration. I was prescribed a topical steroid by my dermatologist but my hair clinic suggested my not to use it. Right now there is not a lot I can do except for waiting. Going out in the sun without a headpiece is still a no-no until the end of the year at least. (I was hoping for a vacation in Thailand but - according to my clinic - that shouldn't happen without wearing a hat all the time.)

I genuinely don't see any reason why a cream or gel to help redness would be a problem this many months into the process. The grafts are absolutely secure and were after just 7 days. Many clinics happily recommend aloe vera gel to help sooth the recipient area and you would be absolutely fine to do so. It might not work of course, but there's no harm in trying.

As for being in the sun - yes, definitely keep it covered with a hat or a headscarf in Thailand!

• 2 months later...