Oral minoxidil : global vascularity increase ?

Youth_Again

Hi,

I have been on oral minoxidil for more than 2 weeks now, and I don’t know if this is related but my overall body is way more vascular than before. I do workout quite a lot, but I believe to have way bigger veins, more appearing, thicker, I also get insane pumps at the gym. 

is this a common effect? Is it unrelated and I just made normal gains at the gym? Is it placebo and I am thinking the pill is working ? 

I also had quite some shedding on some tiny hair, thicker eyebrows and also my beard is becoming thicker

Oral minoxidil in the United States originated as a blood pressure med. it’s a vasodilation medication. Side effect was amplification of hair all over the body. So being a women not the best side effect. Medical community then went with your topical version for hair and put it on the self as a bp medication. Issue with topicals is absorption factor we don’t know how much absorbs on person a versus person b and it can rapidly change. What you are experiencing is your vessel are opening and relaxing to allow more blood oxygen to flow. Do not recommend for females unless you are FTM. For women there is another blood pressure medication that is wonderful but very bad for men. I am not a physician always seek medical advice from your provider. This medication is not for everyone and needs to monitored by a provider abs deemed safe with one’s medical history. 

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I'm not a doctor but I think it would be more related to intense training then oral minoxidil. Although the theory sounds logical oral minoxidil lowers blood pressure.

hm that is interesting, have you experienced anything like that ?

5 minutes ago, Adamadwaga said:

Oral minoxidil in the United States originated as a blood pressure med. it’s a vasodilation medication. Side effect was amplification of hair all over the body. So being a women not the best side effect. Medical community then went with your topical version for hair and put it on the self as a bp medication. Issue with topicals is absorption factor we don’t know how much absorbs on person a versus person b and it can rapidly change. What you are experiencing is your vessel are opening and relaxing to allow more blood oxygen to flow. Do not recommend for females unless you are FTM. For women there is another blood pressure medication that is wonderful but very bad for men. I am not a physician always seek medical advice from your provider. This medication is not for everyone and needs to monitored by a provider abs deemed safe with one’s medical history. 

that would make 100% sense, my blood vessels would dilate a lot more than usual, creating thicker veins and maybe helping reaching a better pump?

That is very interesting

• Valued Contributor

@Youth_AgainYou workout quite a lot so this can be the effect or that and can be due to medication as well....its hard to judge like this....you may consult a doctor for that....but just in 2 weeks i don't think it can thicken body hairs...it needs more time for that...whereas shedding is obvious and most people do face it  ....

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

8 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@Youth_AgainYou workout quite a lot so this can be the effect or that and can be due to medication as well....its hard to judge like this....you may consult a doctor for that....but just in 2 weeks i don't think it can thicken body hairs...it needs more time for that...whereas shedding is obvious and most people do face it  ....

It might just be placebo, but I got a comment saying my eyebrows got thicker 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 7:47 AM, Youth_Again said:

Hi,

I have been on oral minoxidil for more than 2 weeks now, and I don’t know if this is related but my overall body is way more vascular than before. I do workout quite a lot, but I believe to have way bigger veins, more appearing, thicker, I also get insane pumps at the gym. 

is this a common effect? Is it unrelated and I just made normal gains at the gym? Is it placebo and I am thinking the pill is working ? 

I also had quite some shedding on some tiny hair, thicker eyebrows and also my beard is becoming thicker

Hello, may I know your dosage for oral minoxidil. I'm on oral minoxidil 2.5 mg from the last six weeks. From yesterday I've started going back to the gym which   I stopped after my HT. I'll reply here after two weeks regarding the muscle pump while working out 😃

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shadman said:

Hello, may I know your dosage for oral minoxidil. I'm on oral minoxidil 2.5 mg from the last six weeks. From yesterday I've started going back to the gym which   I stopped after my HT. I'll reply here after two weeks regarding the muscle pump while working out 😃

Used 2.5mg for the first week, upped the dosage to 5mg after

37 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

Used 2.5mg for the first week, upped the dosage to 5mg after

By any chance are you monitoring your BP ? And do you feel any dizziness or bit weaker while working out ?

18 minutes ago, Shadman said:

By any chance are you monitoring your BP ? And do you feel any dizziness or bit weaker while working out ?

Not monitoring it but last time I checked, rest BP was around 60   
i don’t feel weaker, I actually feel stronger. Never had dizziness as well

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 12:10 PM, Shadman said:

updates?

Little update on my side : 

Pump not as crazy as it used to be, I think my body was just getting used to it and getting all that extra blood in my vessels was giving my huge pumps. 

After 1 month of use I started to feel dizzy, this happened for almost 5 days straight, feeling super dizzy and tired, and slowly disappeared, now I am almost completely fine, back to normal. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 8:56 PM, Youth_Again said:

Little update on my side : 

Pump not as crazy as it used to be, I think my body was just getting used to it and getting all that extra blood in my vessels was giving my huge pumps. 

After 1 month of use I started to feel dizzy, this happened for almost 5 days straight, feeling super dizzy and tired, and slowly disappeared, now I am almost completely fine, back to normal. 

Yes, probably the reason was getting more blood flow. In my case also, It took 10 days to adjust.  Currently I'm taking from last 7 weeks. Not taking any pre Workout only taking BCAAs while working out, which is keeping me hydrated. Never felt any dizziness.