Hairline density and volume with a transplant compared to teenage hairline

Hi, attached is my teenage photo. As you can see my hairline is as wide as  my forehead width. I mean the distance from the top of my head to the topmost hair is as wide as forehead. I think this kind of puffy hairline is the result of wavy texture than density. Would my hairline,even with half the density, look like my original with a hair transplant or the width of hairline(distance from top of head to topmost hair)  would also become half of original? Can someone tell how close they were able to get to their original teenage hairline with a hair transplant? 

IMG_20230803_152609.jpg

Edited by NAVI

That depends on your current stage. If you are a NW2 with stabilized hair loss and a good donor area, you can get a great result via a transplant that focuses just on the hairline. Although you won't get the original density, it will be as good as original for all practical purposes (50-55 grafts per sq cm). 

However, if you grade is NW 3-4 or worse and if your hair loss isn't stable, and/or your donor isn't good enough, the surgeon will have far fewer resources to fix your hairline. In which case, it won't obviously look so good. The surgeon may have to give you a maturish/higher hairline and the density would obviously be lesser (it does have an impact on the appearance)

• Valued Contributor

A teenage hairline is exactly just that. So many people ruin their scalp (myself above all) by trying to go back and recreate an unrealistic goal of hair transplantation. A hair transplant is the illusion of having more hair than you would if you never went bald. It will never replace a non balding person from MPB. A hair transplant is also for people who are bald or balding and is a last resort. Medication should always be the first port of call. All the best!

• Well Done 1

21 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

A teenage hairline is exactly just that. So many people ruin their scalp (myself above all) by trying to go back and recreate an unrealistic goal of hair transplantation. A hair transplant is the illusion of having more hair than you would if you never went bald. It will never replace a non balding person from MPB. A hair transplant is also for people who are bald or balding and is a last resort. Medication should always be the first port of call. All the best!

Congrats for your awesome result. It would be great if you could share your teenage photos, if you don't mind. Will help to understand how close you get to original. 

Edited by NAVI

17 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Well said!

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY