Dr. Bloxham's Verteporfin Trial

Hi Everyone, 

I wanted to create a thread to discuss and share updates about Dr. Bloxham's Verteporfin trial. I assisted him on the trial and got his permission to share information about it online. 

A little bit of background information: 

On July 11th, Dr Bloxham tested verteporfin on 3 different FUT patients. Some had prior surgery and we were doing more of a scar revision, while others were virgin patients having their first hair transplant. Small sections on each patient were removed, treated directly with differing concentrations of verteporfin, and closed. We will now monitor the patients and see what happens! 

Please feel free to ask questions here. I will relay all of them to Dr. Bloxham. I can probably get him to come on and answer some himself as well! 

Here is a video he made discussing verteporfin (for those who are unfamiliar) and announcing the trial. The next update should be soon and will be a detailed video going through the day of the trial. 

I will keep everything updated here. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

You should post it on our official thread. I'm speaking with Dr. Longaker, the Stanford researcher on the 1st of August regarding Verteporfin, and it's potential as adjunct to surgery. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 7/27/2023 at 3:30 PM, Nikoni said:

Thank you for posting ! Does Dr. Bloxham plan to do FUE trial or old FUE Scars revision ?

No problem. I hope it is helpful. 

Dr Bloxham spoke with Dr Barghouthi quite a bit and I think he's very satisfied with what he is doing with the FUE trials. That is part of the reason why he started with FUT. He does want to try a larger punch (like an older plug punch) and leave that open after treating it with verteporfin to really test the healing and see if there is any regeneration. According to Dr Bloxham, it would be very clear if we saw regeneration of follicles in the center of a punch this big. I also think he wants to try it in the actual thinning areas at some point. 

• 3 weeks later...