Norwood 5

Yes, after seeing the pictures, i say it is definitely worth it. You still have some hair at the top worth protecting. Especially if you do HT, it will add to the density. 

Edited by YodaHead
  • Like 1

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

What are your long term goals?

Finesteride will slow down the loss of your native hair, and possibly even result in regrowth.

As was said earlier, you have lots to same - the crown and mid scalp in particular. 

If you're destined for a NW6 or even NW7, there would a lot of hair lost without treatment.

Yes. You need to stop and stabilize the hair loss. 

Finasteride can help stopping it and if not enough you can also add Minoxidil in the following year. 

If you're still unhappy after 2 years you can go for surgery. 

I would still try all medication routes before proceeding to a surgery. 

Best of luck. 

2 hours ago, Yabala said:

IMG_20230717_144054.jpg.b696598fd868c68578167f1db279b095.jpg

OP. You will be surprised how much finasteride can do to reverse hair loss even in areas that look completely bald. Of course everyone responds differently but if you are open to starting medications I would definitely say it is worth it in your case. 

Edited by Bhumik Shah MD

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

@Yabala,

Yea, I do believe that finasteride is potentially worth a try, assuming that you’ve spoken to a physician and you understand the pros, cins, advantages and potential side effects associated with the medication.  The reason for this is because finasteride may very well reverse the miniaturization process and as a result, some of the thinning, vellus hairs may thicken and become terminal. As a result, this will thicken the appearance of your hair and make it fuller looking.  At the very least, using finasteride, may prevent your hair loss from progressing, and getting worse.  Of course, there is no guarantees that will work, but it is certainly something to consider and speak to a doctor about.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for the details guys. Tell me if l'm right or wrong but if l did understand the only interest in using finasteride for advanced Norwoods(5,6 and 7) is to keep my crown dense and high in order for me to undergo several hair transplants. Am l right ?

2 hours ago, Yabala said:

Thanks for the details guys. Tell me if l'm right or wrong but if l did understand the only interest in using finasteride for advanced Norwoods(5,6 and 7) is to keep my crown dense and high in order for me to undergo several hair transplants. Am l right ?

You have lots of hair on your head. You will continue to lose it if you don't do something to stop it. 

Finesteride will help slow down that loss and in rare cases regrow hair.

Alternatively, you could wait until your naturally stabilize (which could be NW7) and see whether a hair transplant is still  feasible.  

3 hours ago, Yabala said:

What class one is doesn't change the goal of meds, which is:

To stabilize hair loss and preserve the current state of hair.

Added bonus would be miniaturized hairs strengthening up back to terminal, and then possible regrowth in areas you currently believe are 'bald'.

NW 2, NW 4, NW7, anyone taking meds, is taking them for the same exact reasons. Stabilize/give best chances possible at halting hair loss. 

It's worth to check and try, especially if you're planning to have a hair transplant procedure, just notice that could be side effects.

I myself tried the original Propecia and experienced side, but now I'm using topical formula without any side effects til now.

Your donor looks promising in the photos, Finasteride can stabilize it if miniaturization supposed to happen.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

So even if l'm an advanced Norwood you guys think it's still worth it to start finasteride ? But if l start finasteride now it will only slows down hair loss and maintain my crown dense and high righ?! I mean the regrowth that may occur won't be so significant. 

@Yabala

Will it help your existing hair (on crown, mid-scalp, front, back, everywhere) look healthier/thicker and delay the process of male pattern baldness? Yes.

Will it reverse your loss and fill your head with a densely packed hair? Nope.

So whether something is worth it or not depends on your goal and expectations.

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

29 minutes ago, YodaHead said:

@Yabala

Will it help your existing hair (on crown, mid-scalp, front, back, everywhere) look healthier/thicker and delay the process of male pattern baldness? Yes.

Will it reverse your loss and fill your head with a densely packed hair? Nope.

So whether something is worth it or not depends on your goal and expectations.

My goal is to have a HT from frontal hairline to vertex. 

5 hours ago, Yabala said:

My goal is to have a HT from frontal hairline to vertex. 

Then I would say it's definitely worth it. If you have a ht, the doctor won't implant as many hairs in the areas where native hair still exists. If you lose native hair after the ht, then your scalp will be thin/bare in those areas and full on the rest of your scalp, creating an unnatural look.