3,092 FUT by Dr. Cooley

I am in my early 30s, losing my hair slowly since I was around 18. I have been on 1mg oral finasteride three times weekly for the past 2 years as well as a topical minoxidil.

I had my first hair transplant by Dr. Cooley June 8th 2023.  My goal with this procedure is a mature hairline to frame my face. He agreed but also said we can improve the temples and cover the mid scalp with remaining grafts.  Topical minoxidil was replaced by 2.5 mg oral minoxidil daily. I will post my progress in this thread when my hair starts growing.  

3,092 grafts FUT

1 hair: 934

2 hair: 1549

3 hair: 609. 

First photo: pre op at home with wet hair.

Second: After two weeks.  We shaved the hairs on top.  My head is covered at work.

Third: angles and placement of the hair look natural to me.

Third: 4 weeks, full shedding

IMG_5659.thumb.jpeg.00c6a3d934acdc8e17c21669d2cd1b0e.jpegIMG_5661.thumb.jpeg.972978738393887f3a8d91f4ee8a413b.jpegIMG_5318.thumb.jpeg.027b077a1b19fc59ab6c6bc9a4a47a3d.jpegIMG_5667.thumb.jpeg.46a202636a2e20e2d2aef59f3e820b78.jpeg

Just took these.. sorry not the best quality. Not really visible except the right parietal area. For some reason this was the only area where I felt any pain post op and seems to have some shock loss.

IMG_5686.jpeg

IMG_5685.jpeg

IMG_5684.jpeg

I also didn’t realize how non existent my temples were until the grafts fell out. This is a couple week post op.  All the fine, single hair grafts make a huge difference

IMG_5316.jpeg

Edited by Buddysdad
  • Like 1

I am impressed with how well the longer hair on sides and back of your head covers the fresh incision. Since you don’t have too much redness, you can basically resume life as usual now without always wearing a hat I presume?

Edited by JoeD

Just now, JoeD said:

I am impressed with how well the longer hair on sides and back of your head covers the fresh incision.

My fiance had trouble finding it to put ointment on it. I forgot to ask about my hair quality..but I think it is pretty thin. I’m happy about the coverage for what I have 

36 minutes ago, JoeD said:

I am impressed with how well the longer hair on sides and back of your head covers the fresh incision. Since you don’t have too much redness, you can basically resume life as usual now without always wearing a hat I presume?

I have redness but The hair covers it. I wear a hat alot of the time as I have for the past several years. Wouldn’t be necessary of course if we didn’t shave the top. I preferred it shaved so I could clean the scalp and things easier

10 minutes ago, Hair Triggered said:

Awesome. You went to the best. Get ready to very pleased. I was a NW 6 and now I have full coverage after 2 fut from dr. Cooley. I will post pics of 2 fut procedure of crown in few months after 1 year mark. 

How does your scalp feel after the second fut? I am cautiously optimistic. I went into this assuming I would need two procedures for decent coverage of the front and mid scalp alone with my hair quality. I figured Dr. Cooley would give me the best chance at success

Edited by Buddysdad

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ian. said:

Hi Buddysdad, was the decision to go from topical minoxidil to oral Dr. Cooley’s suggestion or something you decided for yourself?

I asked if I could switch to oral dutasteride. He recommended I switch to oral minoxidil and stay on finasteride if I wanted to try something else. 

6 minutes ago, Silent123 said:

Hey man, that's a great amount of coverage judging the after shots. You likely have a good 3000 grafts to use again in the donor. Has Doctor Cooley discussed this with you? 

No,  I told him I assumed I need two procedures. He told me he likes to assume that we will just do one with everybody. I have thin hair and less than 2 hair per graft average so I was surprised at the area that was covered. I am excited but know I don’t have the best hair qualities

• 2 weeks later...

Scar under favorable lighting and less favorable. Still red of course just a couple months since my procedure. Hair on top has grown out to original length. Have some foliculitis that Dr. Cooley is addressing with a shampoo and scalpicin I will pick up from the pharmacy after work today.  

IMG_6068.jpeg

IMG_6076.jpeg

IMG_6071.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Around 3.5 months. A lot of tiny hairs growing where I was previously completely bald. Don’t see any hairs yet in my frontal forelock area.  In favorable lighting I can see a hairline forming for the first time in probably 13 years or so. I am happy so farIMG_6660.thumb.jpeg.64cfa39d2929c86c70f848c4355be549.jpegdIn favorable lighting uou

IMG_6680.jpeg

Edited by Buddysdad

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...