Disadvantages of No-shave surgery

HLC offers the option of no-shave surgery (where recipient area is not shaved) for an additional cost and I am interested in doing this.

They assured me it does not alter the quality of the outcome, and that it simply takes more time and care. But I am still worried that it might inevitably mean a loss in quality resulting from reduced visibility and/or fatique from longer sessions.

Am I right to have any doubts and is it safer to go with full shave or would I be ok with noshave?

25 minutes ago, formesenlair said:

HLC offers the option of no-shave surgery (where recipient area is not shaved) for an additional cost and I am interested in doing this.

They assured me it does not alter the quality of the outcome, and that it simply takes more time and care. But I am still worried that it might inevitably mean a loss in quality resulting from reduced visibility and/or fatique from longer sessions.

Am I right to have any doubts and is it safer to go with full shave or would I be ok with noshave?

why don’t you just shave the recipient area if you don’t want to carry out a full shave of the head? 

40 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

why don’t you just shave the recipient area if you don’t want to carry out a full shave of the head? 

Well, that's what I mean when I mean no-shave since donor area is always shaved in any case.

• Valued Contributor
10 hours ago, formesenlair said:

Well, that's what I mean when I mean no-shave since donor area is always shaved in any case.

No its not that donor area is shaved in any case...it can be performed even without shaving donor area....but imo no shave option should be considered only if it is really a necessity otherwise normal fue procedure is better...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Moderators

If you are only talking about the recipient area, there are a number of Drs who don't shave the recipient area and prefer to work with the hair grown out, so they can see the direction and flow of your hair. It helps them know where to place grafts for better coverage since they can see what the current coverage is.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

@formesenlair,

To be honest, I’ve been hearing shaving versus no shaving debate for a long time, and the argument that is very typical on the no shaving side has always been that the quality of the result won’t be reduced, but it’s simply takes more time and care to perform and complete the surgery.

But in thinking about this more, you have to come to the conclusion that the reason why it takes more time and care, for you don’t shavers is because the degree of difficulty goes up.  And if that’s the case, then all the risks associated with hair transplant surgery also increase.

Now this isn’t to say that the end result will be affected, but why add being first level of difficulty for the surgeon, and the staff that could potentially impact the result.

I know shaving can be inconvenient.  But hair transplant surgery is a lifetime investment and in my opinion, it’s a good idea to do whatever it takes to produce an optimal an optimal result.

I hope this helps  

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Just shave your head and make it easier for everyone involved in the surgery. No need to add extra complexity to the transplant. Plus, Every man needs to see his head fully shaven at least once in his life.

On 7/10/2023 at 2:43 AM, A_4_Archan said:

No its not that donor area is shaved in any case...it can be performed even without shaving donor area....but imo no shave option should be considered only if it is really a necessity otherwise normal fue procedure is better...

It's possible to not shave the back and sides with FUE?

On 7/10/2023 at 5:28 AM, Rawkerboi said:

My advice is Shave it and proceed, post op surgery its much easier and the hair grows evenly. Hair Transplant is big investment in terms of money and time so make sure to do it once and do it right

It is easier post op but does it present any additional complication for the surgeon, even if they may otherwise be inclined to tell you it makes no difference in the quality of the result?

On 7/10/2023 at 8:05 AM, BeHappy said:

If you are only talking about the recipient area, there are a number of Drs who don't shave the recipient area and prefer to work with the hair grown out, so they can see the direction and flow of your hair. It helps them know where to place grafts for better coverage since they can see what the current coverage is.

I see, so for such a case it is actually an advantage than a disadvantage (which is what one may assume at first)

On 7/10/2023 at 12:16 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@formesenlair,

To be honest, I’ve been hearing shaving versus no shaving debate for a long time, and the argument that is very typical on the no shaving side has always been that the quality of the result won’t be reduced, but it’s simply takes more time and care to perform and complete the surgery.

But in thinking about this more, you have to come to the conclusion that the reason why it takes more time and care, for you don’t shavers is because the degree of difficulty goes up.  And if that’s the case, then all the risks associated with hair transplant surgery also increase.

Now this isn’t to say that the end result will be affected, but why add being first level of difficulty for the surgeon, and the staff that could potentially impact the result.

I know shaving can be inconvenient.  But hair transplant surgery is a lifetime investment and in my opinion, it’s a good idea to do whatever it takes to produce an optimal an optimal result.

I hope this helps  

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you for the info, and this is exactly what goes through my head when surgeons tell me it makes no difference. Surely even the most talented ones, when doing a repetitive task for 4-5 hours, experience some degree of mental fatigue that may cause a hand to slip here and there? Natural and expected, but if  the surgery time is reduced you reduce the chance of that happening

11 hours ago, KSA91 said:

Just shave your head and make it easier for everyone involved in the surgery. No need to add extra complexity to the transplant. Plus, Every man needs to see his head fully shaven at least once in his life.

Ok, so you are saying definitively it is indeed easier and less complex despite surgeons telling me it makes no difference quality wise?

Edited by formesenlair