SMP before a Eugenix transplant? Any reason not to?

I am 99% sure I am going to Eugenix for a HT procedure as soon as I can get in (I have an in-person consultation this weekend when I will learn more), but I am also going to get SMP put into my previous donor scars before that. Otherwise the scars will be very visible when my hair is shaved after the HT procedure. But I am also seriously considering having SMP on the top of my scalp prior to the HT, too, to add the appearance of density afterward. I am also leaning toward keeping my hair cut very close (1/8" or so) for the first 5 months post HT to get me through the inevitable shed phase.

What do you HT and/or SMP veterans think of this approach? Is there any reason this is a bad idea other than the added expense? Does it matter to Eugenix if I have SMP and my hair is cut that short? Does it matter post-HT if I keep the hair cut that short for a few months? 

• Valued Contributor

Imo you should do it after HT once you get your final results....thn only the smp artist would be able to see what best he/she can do and plan accordingly though you can take advice from eugenix ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Thanks, guys. I agree with you both. 👍 I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm overly anxious to put this hair thing behind me once and for all. I just need to exercise a little more patience. 

• Valued Contributor

@Odysseus are these FUT scars or FUE? I would have SMP for the scars but I would hold off with doing anymore. Wait until after you have finished with surgery. This way you will know where any weak areas are that may benefit from SMP. SMP indoors gives the illusion of density. Outside in the sunlight it doesn’t and in some cases it can stand out and look odd. All the best. 

Edited by Gatsby

IMHO it’s always best to wait and see the full visual benefits of your procedures before adding SMP to any weak areas.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

3 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@Odysseus are these FUT scars or FUE? I would have SMP for the scars but I would hold off with doing anymore. Wait until after you have finished with surgery. This way you will know where any weak areas are that may benefit from SMP. SMP indoors gives the illusion of density. Outside in the sunlight it doesn’t and in some cases it can stand out and look odd. All the best. 

I have...

- A thin linear scar that has 1000 grafts transplanted into it to camouflage it, but I have never cut it short enough to see what it looks like. I have circled it in this photo. The fact that it is visible in the photo is evidence that the camouflage wasn't a complete success...

- 5 thin, short linear scars that are unfilled and are clearly visible if my hair is cut short (because the woman who cut my hair asked me about them when I went too short once. Uuuugh). I'm not able to capture any photos of them. They are well hidden in my hair. 🤷‍♂️

- I also possibly have about 1000 FUE "dot" scars, but maybe not. I have no idea how well they healed or how visible they will be against my pale head, so they might not be a big deal.

I have my consultation with Dr Sethi this coming Sunday the 9th in Chicago. He'll be able to see things in all their glory before I do anything. Then the following Friday the 14th I have my first of two SMP appointments with Scalp Micro USA. I plan to follow the wise advice shared here and just have the donor camouflage work done for now. That might be all I ever do SMP-wise depending on whether Eugenix can do the sort of miraculous things for me that they've done for others here. 

I will record my experiences and share them on this site. Especially my experience with Eugenix, since I have benefitted so much from those who have shared their experiences there. And my case is a little different from most of their work that I have seen because I am blonde, have somewhat fine hair, and have pulled from my donor area multiple times. Working in my favor is a decent beard and the fact that my skin tone and hair color tends to make the scalp less noticeable than it would be if I had, say, dark hair with my pale skin. I also already have the equivalent of about 1500 FUs in the front third of my scalp, so they will be building on that.

Scar example highlighted.jpg