Confused on what to do

Question for you guys. Everybody talks about stabilization of hair loss before hair transplant. In my opinion there is no such thing. I am 35 years old nw 3 and am on Dutasteride and oral minoxidil and my dad is nw 6. Even with the strong stack I have continued to thin over the years and I still shed and I’m sure with time I will reach a NW 6 as well even though I appear to have a full head of hair I can still tell there is some thinning throughout. I am planning on getting a hair transplant with Konior to reinforce frontal 3rd but is this risky knowing that I will get to NW 6. Won’t I be chasing it every few years? 

• Valued Contributor
50 minutes ago, Recession1 said:

Question for you guys. Everybody talks about stabilization of hair loss before hair transplant. In my opinion there is no such thing. I am 35 years old nw 3 and am on Dutasteride and oral minoxidil and my dad is nw 6. Even with the strong stack I have continued to thin over the years and I still shed and I’m sure with time I will reach a NW 6 as well even though I appear to have a full head of hair I can still tell there is some thinning throughout. I am planning on getting a hair transplant with Konior to reinforce frontal 3rd but is this risky knowing that I will get to NW 6. Won’t I be chasing it every few years? 

Medication don't always halt your hairloss progression but it just slow it down...for eg if you are nw2 and would destined to reach nw5 in 7 years than with medication you would reach there probably in 15 years...so its just a delaying thing and not completely halting...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

That is the scary part. Everyone in my family besides me has never taken medicine and they were all NW 3s in their late 30s and progressed to NW 6s in their 40s. We are late balders I guess. The scary part is I got to hair transplant doctors and they say wow you are only a NW 3 at 35 you will be fine to do hair transplant because they think at 35 my hair loss should be more advanced but so were all of my relatives. Hard to know what to do… or maybe I won’t follow them. It’s tempting to not get frontal 3rd done being on medication. It might give me 10 years of great hair and allow time for another treatment to come out 

• Valued Contributor

Actually hairloss is unpredictable thing...what is in our hands is to be on proper medication and take care of general health and wish that it doesn't progress and if it does than have to keep it simple and accept it....if you go for a ht than just make sure you plan for a long term and be conservative due to the family history...konior is good and the other surgeon you can consider is dr munib ahmad who is producing good results being future proof...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

2 hours ago, Recession1 said:

That is similar to me. I have been religiously using finasteride and minoxidil and my hair loss has continued. But I was destined to go to Norwood 6 too in my twenties.

But if I hadn't used them, my donor would be a lot worse, remember finasteride strengthens the donor are as well, as does dutasteride.

2 hours ago, Recession1 said:

In my opinion, with a good surgeon (which you have chosen) an HT is still worth it because you're essentially buying time and delaying your fall from grace, which I think for a lot of young men could be very important. Overtime our hair will continue to go (at least with current medication available), but as you age it will naturally become far more age appropriate and you will accept some thinner spots. Everyone who commits to one HT should have the understanding that most likely at some point they will need another. 

@Recession1,

One thing you need to understand is that everybody responds differently to medication. While there may not be an exact such thing as stabilization of hair loss, you can slow it down, stop it or even possibly reverse it to some degree. Now does that last forever? Most likely not.  But then again, we also don’t live forever.

Hair restoration is about minimizing risks and giving you your natural hair back as long as possible.  In my opinion, it is still a good idea to consider non-surgical solutions such as fenestrate  and minoxidil if you are still in the early stages of hair loss or even if you have any natural hair that is prone to androgenetic alopecia.

I also advise speaking to a doctor about any non-surgical solutions before getting on them as every medication comes with a possibility of side effects.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

As a NW6, even in the best of hands I would say you are looking at 3 hair transplants for a 100% satisfactory result. 

If you demand a 'one-and-done' result, then my advice to you is to quit this journey before it even begins. 

• Like 1