Can Oral Finasteride cause less body hair ?

Youth_Again

I have been on oral finasteride for about 3 years now, and looking at old topless pictures of me, I realized that I have WAY less body hair, including my chest, neck, armpits to the point where I almost have none anymore compared to before. 

Is this a normal side effect ? did anyone experience the same thing?

If I start taking oral minoxidil would it balance it ? 

It's possible. DHT increases hair growth in every part of the body except the scalp. No one really knows why but the assumption is that there is something genetic within the hair follicles of some people's scalp that makes them susceptible to DHT causing minitarization. But that's kind of a guess on the scientific communities part as far as I understand. It's known as the "DHT paradox". People in the medical community who aren't fully sold on DHT being the main cause of hair loss point to this paradox as evidence sometimes. 

In your case, it does seem unusual that it would cause a super drastic and noticeable change though. Are you sure your eyes aren't tricking you due to lightning/angle differences and such? 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

29 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

I have been on oral finasteride for about 3 years now, and looking at old topless pictures of me, I realized that I have WAY less body hair, including my chest, neck, armpits to the point where I almost have none anymore compared to before. 

Is this a normal side effect ? did anyone experience the same thing?

If I start taking oral minoxidil would it balance it ? 

I had exactly the same (quickly - after 6 months). Much less chest hair. 

I suspect it'll all depend on the amount of DHT that is in your body. In our cases it seems to have tipped the balance so that hair follicles on the body are recieving enough to maintain growth.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I suspect it'll all depend on the amount of DHT that is in your body. In our cases it seems to have tipped the balance so that hair follicles on the body are recieving enough to maintain growth.

That's extremely interesting. Did you have other side effects too? Did you discontinue use or continue on? 

49 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

It's possible. DHT increases hair growth in every part of the body except the scalp. No one really knows why but the assumption is that there is something genetic within the hair follicles of some people's scalp that makes them susceptible to DHT causing minitarization. But that's kind of a guess on the scientific communities part as far as I understand. It's known as the "DHT paradox". People in the medical community who aren't fully sold on DHT being the main cause of hair loss point to this paradox as evidence sometimes. 

In your case, it does seem unusual that it would cause a super drastic and noticeable change though. Are you sure your eyes aren't tricking you due to lightning/angle differences and such? 

no, my eyes are not tricked, I used to have quite a lot of hair under my armpit and I have almost none anymore, I used to have some hair on my chest and now it's barely visible and quite baby hairs left, same on my belly button, used to have a lot and now it's very fine hair, not long at all

16 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

That's extremely interesting. Did you have other side effects too? Did you discontinue use or continue on? 

0 side effects, I believe from what I remember I did experience some sides the first week of use but nothing after that. 

1mg daily for the past 3 years, never had any issues so far, just observed way less body hair. At first I though I was tripping but looking at pictures before using finasteride I definitely had way more body hair than today

36 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

yeah seems like it is affecting only upper body hair, but not my arms for example, just chest, neck, belly and armpits

WTF.... You have no arm pit hair anymore? 

A lot of people are going to come in and say you should get tested for other stuff that might cause that, and they're probably right so you can rule things out. But I think your likely on to something as far as it being caused by fin. People freak out when I say that Fin has a "feminizing effect" on men, but this is another example of that. 

Just now, GoliGoliGoli said:

A lot of people are going to come in and say you should get tested for other stuff that might cause that, and they're probably right so you can rule things out. But I think your likely on to something as far as it being caused by fin. People freak out when I say that Fin has a "feminizing effect" on men, but this is another example of that. 

not 0 arm pit hair but way less than before. But to be fair even before my use of finasteride I never had a big body pilosity.

4 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

but it seems to be affecting only my upper body, my legs were not affected, still same amount of hair, same for my arms. Beard no effect as well, I have seen beard growth so seems like it is not affecting that area but chest and armpits got affected 100%

19 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

but it seems to be affecting only my upper body, my legs were not affected, still same amount of hair, same for my arms. Beard no effect as well, I have seen beard growth so seems like it is not affecting that area but chest and armpits got affected 100%

Ya I dunno mate, feel free to post the pics you're looking at if you want a 2nd opinion

40 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

I can DM you pics if you want to double check 

As has been said, DHT causes body hair growth. It's logical to assume that a reduction in DHT would also result in less body hair. I've only noticed a change in chest hair - armpits don't seem affected at all, nor my legs or arms.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, just as thickening of body hair through minoxidyl isnt.

I used to have some body hair.. after finasteride my legs n arms gots no hair or really super miniaturized hairs.. even my armpits.. I’m like a buff man with no body hair but hair on my head..

if u notice u getting less body hair . Then the medication is working .. thank goodness ..

42 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

I used to have some body hair.. after finasteride my legs n arms gots no hair or really super miniaturized hairs.. even my armpits.. I’m like a buff man with no body hair but hair on my head..

if u notice u getting less body hair . Then the medication is working .. thank goodness ..

I guess so, but kinda scary to think ? 
i am just wondering how much I am messing up with my hormones and how it is affecting me as a man 

Well I still Work out so I’m a fit guy.. been working out since I was 16..

so if u fat u gonna stay fat. Dunno how finasteride is affecting your fitness. 

I always had not that much body hair since I’m Asian..

got no chest hair but a big chest tattoo.. but yep definitely don’t have much arm or leg hair.. I don’t miss it..