Just had a consultation with Dr Pathomvanich, is this hairline design too curved? Surgery's in two days.

I told himself before going in that he's the expert who's been doing this for decades and I should just go with whatever he recommends. Now I'm back in my hotel and looking at the pictures I feel like the hairline could be a little straighter. Dr Path explained that he wouldn't recommend me getting the same very straight hairline I had when I was 10 years younger (I'm 30 now) yet I feel this is too curved. I sent it to some friends and family and they shared the same concerns. I really wish I just asked him to draw a less conservative one but I can always reassess with him on the day of surgery. 

IMG_7328.thumb.jpeg.cf79033c0e2b7875ca08a93ef440f2d7.jpegIMG_7330.thumb.jpeg.c0c7f3818e8bff49415af7ba681018b4.jpegIMG_7332.thumb.jpeg.8d79be14281d2351819fd9104228ab16.jpeg

Could anyone weigh in please? I'm really quite stressed about the whole thing, especially since he also mentioned that he'd like to take 500 grafts from my beard (the total is around 4000) and I hadn't considered that all being an option.

Edited by MyKindaMoves

i think the hairline looks okay, can you draw a line how you would prefer it?

the thing is you are just 30 and youre balding can still progress, so you need to take that into account. you dont have an unlimited number of grafts

also you would need to do something at the temples too if you get the hairline lower i think

• Administrators

Looks like they’re following the symmetry of your face. There’s no perfectly symmetrical hairline.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

i think the hairline looks okay, can you draw a line how you would prefer it?

the thing is you are just 30 and youre balding can still progress, so you need to take that into account. you dont have an unlimited number of grafts

also you would need to do something at the temples too if you get the hairline lower i think

It's more that I'd like it flattened out a bit, it seems incredibly curved to me but what do I know. Would flattening it also increase the need to do something with the temples.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Looks like they’re following the symmetry of your face. There’s no perfectly symmetrical hairline.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but I'm not worried about how symmetrical either side is, more that I'd like a straighter hairline that's all

• Valued Contributor

Seems to be allrite ..but still you may draw yours and than show it so evryone can see it and give their suggestions accordingly....

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

1 hour ago, A_4_Archan said:

Seems to be allrite ..but still you may draw yours and than show it so evryone can see it and give their suggestions accordingly....

Good idea, It's all a bit rushed now though with surgery tomorrow. I could pop down to 7/11 and get a marker pen though I guess.

My main concern now is actually the density of my donor hair. I went to BHT in Belgium last year to get a consultation with Dr Bisanga and he put me oral minoxidil for a year. I thought I noticed thicker hair on my donor areas on the sides and the back but one year later at Dr Paths clinic, after using the microscopic tool to check they told me some areas were okay for donor hairs but most weren't ideal. I know Dr Bisanga told me if I still didn't have good donor hair then he would put me on oral finasteride and I feel that's what I should do now. Rather than get a 4000 graft surgery which includes 500 beard hairs, I should wait another to see how I react to oral fin first. It could increase the density in my donor hair.

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, MyKindaMoves said:

Good idea, It's all a bit rushed now though with surgery tomorrow. I could pop down to 7/11 and get a marker pen though I guess.

My main concern now is actually the density of my donor hair. I went to BHT in Belgium last year to get a consultation with Dr Bisanga and he put me oral minoxidil for a year. I thought I noticed thicker hair on my donor areas on the sides and the back but one year later at Dr Paths clinic, after using the microscopic tool to check they told me some areas were okay for donor hairs but most weren't ideal. I know Dr Bisanga told me if I still didn't have good donor hair then he would put me on oral finasteride and I feel that's what I should do now. Rather than get a 4000 graft surgery which includes 500 beard hairs, I should wait another to see how I react to oral fin first. It could increase the density in my donor hair.

Good idea ....if you can tolerate meds than have a go at it and that can make you a better candidate for surgery for sure if you respond positively to it

--> My Thread

4 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

Good idea ....if you can tolerate meds than have a go at it and that can make you a better candidate for surgery for sure if you respond positively to it

Appreciate you think it's a good idea. I don't have enough conviction in my choice right now and that means a lot. I still can't quite work out why it makes me a better candidate for surgery though. If fin does help then would taking it at the same time as my surgery mean that the donor hairs that are transplanted grow thicker anyway over the next year, so in that case what's the point of waiting a year. On the other side of the coin if I don't react well to fin then I'm in the same position I am now anyway. Thoughts?

• Valued Contributor

First of all you need to know how both the meds works

-Minoxidil helps to increase blood flow to scalp and thats how it stimulates your hairs and make them fuller and thicker but it will not slow down or stabilise your hairloss progression..

-Finasteride helps in lowering your dht levels which is a primary cause of hairloss for most people..this will help in slowing down your hairloss progression or in some cases stabilise it completely..

Thats why both the meds are often prescribed together for the best outcome....though you should look at the pros and cons before starting it..if pro overweights the cons than you can definitely start it and if you can tolerate it well and if you you are a good responder to it thn it can help you immensely...

Medication is important before surgery because surgeon can see how you react to medication and thats how he/she can plan your surgery...for eg if you are good responder to meds and if you can tolerate it well thn your surgeon can take a bit of aggressive approach if you are not a high nw case and if the factors are favourable....and if you don't react positive to meds or can't tolerate it than he/she have to take a very conservative approach considering your future loss and need of multiple surgeries..

Imo you don't need to stress out as you mentioned your newer thread...you can go slow and don't need to take hasty decisions regarding surgery ....get on to medication after consulting a good experienced and ethical surgeon and can try non surgical therapy too according to your doctor's advice and than reassess your situation after one year and than plan you surgery accordingly...

Edited by A_4_Archan

--> My Thread

1 hour ago, MyKindaMoves said:

Remember if you have a second thought about the surgery tomorrow and want to stay on medication one more year with the oral finasteride you can do it and cancel the surgery. It is never to late or bad idea to postpone a surgery if you are not sure about it. Remember that you will have 4000 scars from the surgery and you can never go back once you do it or shave it off. Money comes and goes but the scars will stay for the rest of your life 

Edited by Ajamilo

1 hour ago, A_4_Archan said:

Medication is important before surgery because surgeon can see how you react to medication and thats how he/she can plan your surgery...for eg if you are good responder to meds and if you can tolerate it well thn your surgeon can take a bit of aggressive approach if you are not a high nw case and if the factors are favourable....and if you don't react positive to meds or can't tolerate it than he/she have to take a very conservative approach considering your future loss and need of multiple surgeries..

This is what I needed spelled out to me. Thankyou so much. I've cancelled the surgery and will reassess in one year.

1 hour ago, Ajamilo said:

Remember that you will have 4000 scars from the surgery and you can never go back once you do it or shave it off. Money comes and goes but the scars will stay for the rest of your life 

I never looked it that way, again you've helped me to go ahead and cancel the surgery. Thankyou.

Would just like to clear this up by quickly stating the Dr Path and his team were very understanding. They've even said that I've got a year to try finasteride and can do the surgery next year without losing any of my deposit. Considering I cancelled right at the very last minute this was very kind of them and I'm so grateful.

• Valued Contributor

He is a humble and ethical surgeon and don't run after money and he would probably have understood that you are having doubts about surgery and its always better to delay if there are doubts and other opinions...and am happy for you that you didn't loose your deposit ...and i wish you can stabilise evrythng within a year and thn have a go at it..😊

• Like 1

--> My Thread

Good choice. Hopefully you recover enough ground to be able to call it a day or to the very least significantly reduce the amount of grafts required for full coverage. 

Great atitude from the clinic aswell on the cancelation, prioritizing the wellbeing of their patient. I wish you the best. 

• Like 1