Melbourne HT Reviews

Hi Everyone, 

27 years old and based in Melbourne. Currently at a NW3 and looking to get a hair transplant and also get onto minoxidil and dutasteride to stop things from getting worse. Have had initial consults at both 'The Derm Lab' and 'Hair Transplants Melbourne' who both suggested around 2400-2500 grafts using manual FUE, and at fairly similar prices and inclusions. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these two clinics that they'd be able to share? Have found some online for HTM, and not much at all for The Derm Lab. Preference would be not to go overseas if I can avoid it, which is why I'm looking locally at the moment. 

Thanks in advance. 

11 minutes ago, Nightwing said:

Hi Everyone, 

27 years old and based in Melbourne. Currently at a NW3 and looking to get a hair transplant and also get onto minoxidil and dutasteride to stop things from getting worse. Have had initial consults at both 'The Derm Lab' and 'Hair Transplants Melbourne' who both suggested around 2400-2500 grafts using manual FUE, and at fairly similar prices and inclusions. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these two clinics that they'd be able to share? Have found some online for HTM, and not much at all for The Derm Lab. Preference would be not to go overseas if I can avoid it, which is why I'm looking locally at the moment. 

Thanks in advance. 

I feel @Gatsby is the guy to ask, he has a wealth of knowledge/experience in the exact location 🙃

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

I feel @Gatsby is the guy to ask, he has a wealth of knowledge/experience in the exact location 🙃

+1 @Gatsby has 30+ years of research in the hair restoration industry, specifically in Australia. You're probably better off traveling to India or Thailand for surgery. It's cheaper and higher quality. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

+1 @Gatsby has 30+ years of research in the hair restoration industry, specifically in Australia. You're probably better off traveling to India or Thailand for surgery. It's cheaper and higher quality. 

I will +1 that too 🤣🙏👍🏽

• Like 1

Yep have been reading some of the horror stories on the website. From Gatsby in particular. Thankfully found the website as it allowed me to drop off Dr. Jayaprakash from the list of potentials before I went for the initial consult. Just wondering specific to those two clinics though rather than in general. Came out of consults at both (Dr Spano at HTM, and Christian & Dr Sam Clark at The Derm Lab) feeling they were fairly good. Just wanting to see if anyone else has had experience with either prior.  

Do not get surgery in Australia. The average result will be a 6/10. You need to go overseas for a good result. Check out Dr Laorwong in Thailand. He has many reviews on here. Excellent surgeon.

• Like 1

I went to dr laorwong in Thailand from aus check out my post for 4 month progress I’m super happy, I wouldn’t get those results if I had it done in aus and I’d pay 3 times the amount also pm me if you want

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, Nightwing said:

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks in advance. 

If you have surgery in Australia you will regret it. A week ago I was looking at results from Dr Vikram Jayaprakash and 2,800 grafts were utilized to cover a Norwood 6 patient. Doubles all along the front hairline and grafts implanted at 45 degrees. I also saw other work. You must travel if you live in Australia/New Zealand if you wish to have surgery. As a repair patient myself I have taken a very keen i interest in hair restoration over the past 38 years. Both here and abroad. Have a look at patient posted results on this forum and see who the doctors are that perform them. You only get one chance at this. All the best. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

If you have surgery in Australia you will regret it. A week ago I was looking at results from Dr Vikram Jayaprakash and 2,800 grafts were utilized to cover a Norwood 6 patient. Doubles all along the front hairline and grafts implanted at 45 degrees. I also saw other work. You must travel if you live in Australia/New Zealand if you wish to have surgery. As a repair patient myself I have taken a very keen i interest in hair restoration over the past 38 years. Both here and abroad. Have a look at patient posted results on this forum and see who the doctors are that perform them. You only get one chance at this. All the best. 

This.

I'm located in Adelaide and yet to see consistently good hair transplant results from anyone within Australia.

If you are not yet on oral minox and dut get on it and give yourself a year on the meds to assess if you can stop further hairloss, or even potentially improve your hair a bit. You're young enough that you might be able to get some considerable gains from medication only. It's also worthwhile doing it to see if you can tolerate hairloss medication for an extended period prior to getting a hair transplant.

Ps if you want access to what I think is the best range of hairloss medication consider getting a consult at Sinclair Dermatology East Melbourne. I fly there for my dermatology appointments. They'll do a great job of tracking your progress on medication and tailoring it to something that works for you.

Edited by Viney
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I totally agree with @Gatsby . I had two previous surgeries with HTM in Melbourne very very average results. Trust me travel overseas my 3rd was with Eugenix can't comment on the results yet as I am only 2 months post surgery . But totally different experience at Eugenix.  Pm if you want aswell .

• Like 1

Don't do it. In my opinion Australia has the second worst value for money hair transplant industry in the world, only here in New Zealand is worse. We would be paying North American prices for even worse results than bottom end hairmills in Turkey. As others have said Dr Laorwong in Thailand is an excellent choice if you want to limit the international traveling

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 33 from Melbourne. I have talked with HTM and others. I just started researching and I am just not sure who would be the best to go. If you find someone convincing, can you update your journey? I am aiming to hair transplant this year. May be, we can travel together overseas?