Pimple or folliculitis?

Hi all,

day 50 and I have a pimple that was slightly red/inflamed and raised. It appeared to get smaller a little bit and scab over the past few days. Pics attached. The first two pics were how it looked 2 days ago, and the 3rd pic is how it looks today kind of like it popped and scabbed or something. A few qs:

1.) does it look like folliculitis?

2.) do pimples/folliculitis resolve on their own?

3.) can I lose grafts if it let I resolve on its own?

4.) how do you know whether or not antibiotics are necessary?

@Rahal Hair Transplant @sl I’m sure you’ve seen this post op a lot so would appreciate your help along anyones 🙏🏽

43394A91-3D5C-4E84-8177-7A2732F98CDA.jpeg

1AB158BF-28B4-4570-8869-F70603B96EAE.jpeg

AE406411-7A6A-4BA3-B04F-490DB7A51E0B.jpeg

Pimples are common as hair grows or you get some trapped hair and can be more an issue for those with a curl. You generally do no need any anti-biotics at this stage and for the odd one here and there.  Your clinic may have given you a post op document regarding them and what to do but nothing to worry about when the odd one comes up and they will, so expect some and very possible in the donor also. They will go on their own also so no need to be overly worried. All the best for this stage, it can be harder for first time patients for sure. 

• Like 2

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

18 hours ago, sl said:

Pimples are common as hair grows or you get some trapped hair and can be more an issue for those with a curl. You generally do no need any anti-biotics at this stage and for the odd one here and there.  Your clinic may have given you a post op document regarding them and what to do but nothing to worry about when the odd one comes up and they will, so expect some and very possible in the donor also. They will go on their own also so no need to be overly worried. All the best for this stage, it can be harder for first time patients for sure. 

@sl thanks so much, the pimple somehow scabbed on its own. Does one still not need antibiotics and can just let it resolve itself?

For our patients we say it should resolve and keep it clean and let the scab do its job and don't pick it off. Watch for change and if you have concerns then see your clinic who may want to advise on a topical anti-biotic, but for the most part any intervention is not usually needed. I think important to keep in touch with your clinic as essentially you are under their care and they may have different protocols also, so worth checking with them if not already done so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Definitely keep an eye 👁️ on this because if it manifests into a broader area and/or if any seepage occurs, that would signify an infection and antibiotics would be needed.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Don’t rub or scratch your head/hairs. If you do, do it with clean hands. 

It’s a pimple like you get on your face. It’s an infection obviously. Pimples get away on their own after sometime. But yeah like Gill said keep an eye to see if it turns nasty. 

@Ralph kaka,

To be honest, it just looks like a new transplanted hair that may be starting to break out through the scalp, which is going to be sensitive for a couple of months after the procedure.  I don't see any signs of concern as there only appears to be one or two at the moment.  Seeing a few of these or even several starting around month 3 is quite normal.  It's only if it becomes extreme that it's usually a problem.  Just keep your eye on it and use your judgment.  When it doubt, contact your surgeon and garner his or her opinion.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Send focused pics of the area to your surgeon and request their opinion.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY