Post HT hair styling Q

As someone who has not really had to brush their hair in many years, this is pretty foreign to me. Any recommendations for type of product and comb to maximize the “illusion of density” post hair transplant? Thanks. 

how far along post-op are you? pictures?

Many people who have 'styling issues' or 'unruly hair' post hair transplant actually were botched, the grafts were badly angled, etc. and people mistakenly think this is "normal"

Or if its still early in the post-op period, perhaps this is kinky hair that needs a few more months to straighten, soften, and thicken

I’m actually very happy with my results. I think it looks pretty full and natural, but don’t really know what products are best in general for looking fullest/most dense? Figured members here would be better than a random google search. 

5 hours ago, JoeD said:

I’m actually very happy with my results. I think it looks pretty full and natural, but don’t really know what products are best in general for looking fullest/most dense? Figured members here would be better than a random google search. 

Odd but true, sometimes I use rogaine foam as a type of styling mousse. This has been helpful along with a little bit of pomade. It just depends on the texture and style you're looking for. Have fun with it!

Edited by Greenlantern2020

8 hours ago, Greenlantern2020 said:

Odd but true, sometimes I use rogaine foam as a type of styling mousse.

me too 😄 . hair adjusts so well when using a hair brush in morning and hairstyle stays same for long time. but without rogaine my hair falls flat in short time after combing. but i will say that its little rough to comb through if some minoxidil got applied to hair strands.

17 hours ago, JoeD said:

As someone who has not really had to brush their hair in many years, this is pretty foreign to me. Any recommendations for type of product and comb to maximize the “illusion of density” post hair transplant? Thanks. 

most things depend on your hair length and hairstyle so get a good barber. they can cut them in a way to hide thin areas if any. 

wash hair with a volumizing shampoo/conditioner but be careful of ingredients. better to use a volumizing conditioner and apply it only on strands and using a less chemical shampoo so scalp doesnt come in contact with it. then you can use a good hair brush (they are better than combs when you want volume but always remove tangles with finger first) and style it same way your barber styled it for you after haircut. 

if you want to keep same style intact then use pomade but at own risk as they also damage just like sea salt water in long run.

@JoeD,

What you are saying is actually one of the most exciting parts of undergoing hair transplant surgery. The fact that you have hair again and can style and master your own look once again is phenomenal in my opinion.

The truth is, this is your chance to find the hairstyle that suits you best, and works and looks best for you.  Obviously, how dense your hair will appear, will depend on a number of factors including how many grafts you received over how large of an area, the caliber and thickness of your hair, the position and placement of the hair, follicles determined by the surgeon, how much natural hair do you have left, etc. 

And, of course, last, but not least… Hair style… Obviously, how you style your hair will ultimately impact the appearance and illusion of density of your hair overall.

Personally, I tried the short block for a while where I combed my hair forward and spiked up the front. I wore it, probably at about 2 to 3 inches long on top and shaved the sides to about a 3 or a 4 clip with a taper and blend into the top.

nowadays, I wear my hair long… I sport a man bun with the sides and back shaved (no taper).  Not only does my fiancé like the way this looks… I do too of course - but it also eliminates the appearance of thinning in the crown, which does need more work at some point  

Ultimately, I suggest playing around and finding the best hairstyle for you. Have fun with it, after all… If you’re like me, you’ve had dreams I’m having here and being able to brush and style it again.

On a related note, when I was probably at my peak of baldness before any hair transplants, I did actually have dreams about wearing my hair long again because I used to wear it longer in high school. Then I would wake up depressed, realizing that I would never have that option or ability again.  Never in my wildest dreams. Did I think that I’d be able to do this again. So I’m thrilled even 10 years later that I can do this.

Remember, hair transplant surgery is a lifetime investment. That’s why physician selection is critical.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.