Overharvested or shock loss?

I am a little over 2 weeks post op. Extracted 6k+ grafts over 5 days (plus another 1.5k from beard which also looks the same as scalp). 

Am I screwed? Can I transplant beard hairs into my donor in the future to fix this? I still have a lot of beard left (and lots of body hair fwiw) 

IMG_0731.jpeg

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

There are few doctors who are extracting more than this in 2 days...at this moment can't say anythng ...there will be a huge shock loss as well...you have to wait to see how it would turn out ....who was the surgeon ? Did you check whether he/she has an experience with mega or giga sessions ? 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

This was actually done over 5 days. So about 1.5k ish grafts a day (last day was just beard)

I got it done at the Assure clinic in India, they’re known for high density hair transplants. My surgeon had been working there 6 years I believe and all extraction / implant was done by surgeon not technician. Also supposedly they used a 0.7 mm punch for extraction. 

I also have a low pain tolerance so they may have used more anesthesia (not sure about this). Maybe that contributed to shock loss. 

Still though when taking photos with flash you can clearly see huge patchy areas with absolutely no hair throughout my donor. Ill upload a closer picture to possibly show punch size and the extractions. 

Photo of beard for reference. I don’t really care if they overharvested beard since I’m usually clean shaven. But it seems there may be shock loss there too? 

Second photo is a closer look at my donor scalp I think you can see the punches some of them are still red 2+ weeks after extraction. Am I healing unusually slow? 

IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0736.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

Yeh its seems to be a huge shock loss as well....i know most of the good to average clinics in india though i never heard about the one you mentioned...they have used 0.7 for scalp extraction ? Generally asian hairs are thick and bigger punch is required and most common is 0.9...at the moment we can't judge anything so soon...give it sometime ...what done is done..you cannot undo it...now you can only wait..and i hope it turns out good...and are you on medication? And how about the recipient area ? Can you show some pre op and immediate op pics...?

--> My Thread

They’re in Mumbai. 

Yes they told me 0.7 mm, and on their website it also says they use a 0.7 mm to 0.5 mm conical punch. Not sure what that means exactly. 
Also yes I’m on medication. I’ve been taking finasteride for 2 years hair loss had stabilized before transplant. Still taking it. Will start applying minoxidil too. I’m also getting some PRP which was included with the transplant package. 

I don’t have immediate post op photos of the donor unfortunately as those areas were bandaged up. I have some a few days post op. 

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

IMG_0742.jpeg

Edited by Hans - Webmaster
External link removed.

• Valued Contributor

Punch size seems to be smaller ...see if you compare with the donor which is extracted say around 3500 grafts than ofcourse the spacing would be nearer..so spacing will be dependent on the number of grafts extracted...high the number nearer the spacing..bt there are doctors who even extract 7k grafts but they are doing homogeneous extraction....you can see the recent case from Dr pittela for an example....

--> My Thread

Too soon to tell so keep us posted.  I had over 5,000 grafts down over several days in 2012 which turned out excellent.  That was a huge mega-session back then so lets hope for great results for you. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

4 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

bt there are doctors who even extract 7k grafts but they are doing homogeneous extraction....you can see the recent case from Dr pittela for an example....

Can you explain what homogenous extraction means in this scenario? By looking at the punches on my donor would you say mine was homogenous as well? 

Thanks

• Valued Contributor
13 minutes ago, OverharvestedAndSad said:

Can you explain what homogenous extraction means in this scenario? By looking at the punches on my donor would you say mine was homogenous as well? 

Thanks

It means they extract is such a pattern for eg if they extract one graft leaving evry 3 grafts than they do it the same way for whole donor so even if they extract more grafts thn donor will definitely get thinned out but still it doesn't look patchy and the overall appearance looks good..they make the donor thinned out equally so it looks normal with a naked eye....

Cannot make out from the pics abt this...so you have to wait for sometime 

• Like 1

--> My Thread

16 hours ago, JohnCasper said:

Too soon to tell so keep us posted.  I had over 5,000 grafts down over several days in 2012 which turned out excellent.  That was a huge mega-session back then so lets hope for great results for you. 

I will try and upload pics every month or so as long as I remember to. I am in India for 2 more months before I go back to the US so hopefully it looks better by then. 

My case is honestly the worst I’ve seen online with regards to shock loss/ overharvestation. Most people’s donor areas look healed by week 2 and mine still looks like I got 3rd degree burns all over lol

Try not to worry about this for the moment, your donor needs some time to heal. Mine still looked awful 3 weeks in although I had only 3400 grafts taken out. You surely have a huge shock loss, and it's going to take some time (4-9 months) to recover. 

• Like 1

Thank you, I’ll try my best to be patient. With regards to shock loss, when I zoom into my donor with my phone camera I don’t really even see any dark spots where (im guessing) a hair follicle should be. Is that normal? I don’t even see any velus hairs growing.

• 2 weeks later...

About a month after transplant now (final session was may 5th)

From the earlier pictures it does look better, but just because my hair got longer not necessarily because more hairs grew in. If there is shock loss, how long would it take for even small hairs to start growing in? 

The sides are looking really bad still losing hope every day :( 

IMG_0952.jpeg

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0946.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

It's going to take a few months, maybe 3, maybe 6, maybe 9. Try not to worry too much for the moment, it's going to get better than this anyway, whether you have been overharvested or not. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll bet you see good growth by month 4.  Hang in there!

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

So I cut my hair short on the sides (by myself) because I couldn’t stand the big patch. 

I can sort of see a scarring pattern. Just not sure if its the white part or red parts that are the scars. It seems to me the little hair I have left is growing out of the white parts which I assumed would be the scars but idk. 

If all else fails, I guess I’ll just have to rock a skin fade mohawk for the rest of my life lol

IMG_1077.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

@OverharvestedAndSad,

In my opinion, it’s very premature to panic and worry since you only just had surgery and shock loss can occur anytime over the first couple of weeks to the first couple of months. It can take up to six months or even longer for any shocked hair to return.

So while I understand a patient’s tendency to panic and worry when something looks worse than it did prior to surgery,I suggest that you don’t draw any conclusions until everything heals and grows in which can take up to 12 months.   

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Just try to be patient and post some pictures in a few months.  I know your anxious, but give it a few months.

• 2 weeks later...