Scabs aren't coming off

• Valued Contributor

Its 12 days but scabs aren't coming out..i have watched Melvin's video and did the same but nothing happened ...its all still there...any suggestions ? Does it negatively effect the outcome ...? @Melvin- Moderator

@Gatsby@Spring15@Z-- @AlexMeister21@aaalan

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, BaldV said:

soak it under water for 20 minutes and then rub them off, feel comfortable to apply more pressure as your grafts are well secured by the 12th day.

Okay i was just afraid of applying pressure thats why may be they aren't coming off

--> My Thread

• Valued Contributor
6 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

On Day 11, I was in the shower for about 30 minutes letting it soak on my head, If I were to feel any form of pain or heavy resistance I was going to stop immediately, but it ended up all coming out after giving it a good time to soak.

So i can stand under the shower now? than i guess it can be easy

--> My Thread

Soak your hair in shampoo, let it sit for 20 minutes, you can put a plastic bag on your head to keep it moist, then rub the scabs off and apply good pressure. Grafts are fully secured now

Relax. I still had mine after 14 days, I was really gentle with shampooing and eventually they just came off on their own in a day or two.

There’s no need to apply force, when they’re ready they come off easily. 

Look at Pitella patients, they have theirs upto day 20 and their results turned out great. That’s why I was in no rush to get mine off quick either

• Valued Contributor

@BaldV @mister_25 @Spring15 @baldfighter@Turkhair 

Thanks everyone for responding..i even contacted my doctor and he told me that i should apply olive oil or coconut oil and leave it for half hour and than wash and apply conditioner and again leave for half hour and than can remove it and even can apply pressure as grafts will be secured after 10 days...so i did it and almost 90%scabs are off now...will do it again tomorrow to wipe off the remaining ones...

• Like 2

--> My Thread

of course there are exceptions but in general scabs will not make or break your result. 

For both my 1st and 2nd surgeries I was super nervous about taking off the scabs so just let them naturally come off. It took around 3 weeks. As far as I can tell it had zero impact on results. 

Unless the scabs are looking infected or otherwise abnormal, there is nothing necessarily wrong with just letting them come off naturally. 

So worst case scenario you don't really have anything to worry about. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

of course there are exceptions but in general scabs will not make or break your result. 

For both my 1st and 2nd surgeries I was super nervous about taking off the scabs so just let them naturally come off. It took around 3 weeks. As far as I can tell it had zero impact on results. 

Unless the scabs are looking infected or otherwise abnormal, there is nothing necessarily wrong with just letting them come off naturally. 

So worst case scenario you don't really have anything to worry about. 

Funny because I always thought if scabs weren't off after 14 days it would usually lead you to a poor result/poor yeld. 

I will add this to my list of notes for when I get my surgery next month. 

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Funny because I always thought if scabs weren't off after 14 days it would usually lead you to a poor result/poor yeld. 

I will add this to my list of notes for when I get my surgery next month. 

@HappyMan2021 yeh even i,thought if they are for long than it may affect negative ..i have read somewhere that roots will need oxygen and scabs will be hindrance to that...still that article might be a false one...

• Like 1

--> My Thread

• Valued Contributor
14 hours ago, baldfighter said:

does the regular extra virgin olive cooking oil work, or should I buy special olive oil for hair?

No no..regular olive oil or coconut oil or even baby oil will work...and my doctor told me that after 10 days your roots are well secured and you can apply more pressure to remove scabs...did you ask you doctor about this? What did he tell you?

--> My Thread

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@HappyMan2021 yeh even i,thought if they are for long than it may affect negative ..i have read somewhere that roots will need oxygen and scabs will be hindrance to that...still that article might be a false one...

The oxygen is supplied through the bloodstream. You will be fine. 👌

@A_4_Archan,

I’m not sure the exact process you’re using to assist in scab removal however, assuming that you are using a viable and safe technique, I strongly suggest that you don’t do anything to force them off.

in my personal experience, with four distinct hair transplants, I’ve never had an issue removing scabs from my scalp, but it does take a while. Below is a brief description of what I’ve done that worked for me  

I’ll stand in the shower for 20 minutes with shampoo or conditioner on my scalp and gently massage the scab area(s) using a circular motion with my fingertips (no nails).  Sometimes I will work on one particular concentrated area and then switch to the next. But then I will come back to the original area and then switch back, etc.

Usually each time I get out of the shower, more and more scabs have been loosened, and/or have come off.   Note that loosening / removing the scabs may take a few showers and you don’t have to get everything off all at once.

It’s also helpful to keep your scalp moisturized when you’re not in the shower, such as using aloe, vera, etc.  in some cases, I have taken more than one shower day especially if I feel that some of the scabs are on the verge of coming off. I will never pick them off with my nails and we’ll just repeat the process in the shower to work them off gently and safely. 

If you are having difficulties and you feel that there is some kind of issue I do recommend contacting your surgeon/clinic to get their input.  At the end of the day, your scabs may just not be ready to come off, and it’s important that you don’t force them off.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Valued Contributor
24 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

The oxygen is supplied through the bloodstream. You will be fine. 👌

Thanks for the information ...i always doubted that article cause i think there are many people i saw had scabs for long and they were fine....

--> My Thread

• Valued Contributor
5 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@A_4_Archan,

i’m not sure the exact process you’re using to assist in the scab removal however, assuming that you are using a viable and safe technique, I wouldn’t do anything to force them off. But for me, I’ve never had an issue removing scabs from my scalp, but it does take a while. Personally, I’ll stand in the shower for 20 minutes with shampoo or conditioner on my scalp and gently massage the scab area(s) using a circular motion with my fingertips (no nails).  Usually each time I get out of the shower, more and more scabs have been loosened, and or have come off.   Note that loosening the scabs in a tick a few showers and you don’t have to get everything off all at once.

It’s also helpful to keep your scalp moisturized when you’re not in the shower, such as using aloe, vera, etc. 

But if you are having difficulties, and you feel, there is some kind of issue I do recommend contacting your surgeon/clinic to get their input.  At the end of the day, your scabs may just not be ready to come off, and it’s important that you don’t force them off.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Hey thanks for your detailed response ...i did contact my surgeon and he told me to use olive oil or coconut oil and keep it for 20-30 min and than use shampoo and conditioner and than massage for sometime ...he told me that i can apply some pressure now as grafts are well secured by now...

--> My Thread

Also, to address the misnomer that scabs will block oxygen to the follicul, and thus, hinder growth. I reject that premise for the same reason another member stated above. Oxygen flows through the bloodstream and will provide the follicle with the oxygen it needs to grow. Also, I’ve never seen or heard about hair transplant growth being hindered, simply because it took longer for that individual to remove their scabs.

Long story short, you’ll be fine either way. Typically, scab removal is really about aesthetics and feeling like we look more normal as soon as possible - not because it’s necessary for growth ,

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

@A_4_Archan,

It’s good that you checked in with your surgeon/clinic, and that they provide you with some additional input and advice. Also, one of my personal “secrets” to assist with any scalp, itch or burning during healing is Nioxen conditioner.  It’s a little on the pricier side but it was a godsend for me in dealing with scalp itch in both the donor and recipient area during the first month. I’ll just apply at the scalp shower and let it sit there for five minutes and then wash it off and my scalp.  The soothing/cooling effect really helps alleviate any discomfort to the recipient and donor areas in my opinion.  Note that this is just something I used personally doing my hair transplants and it’s not a formal recommendation of any kind.

All the Best,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@A_4_Archan,

It’s good that you checked in with your surgeon/clinic, and that they provide you with some additional input and advice. Also, one of my personal “secrets” to assist with any scalp, itch or burning during healing is Nioxen conditioner.  It’s a little on the pricier side but it was a godsend for me in dealing with scalp itch in both the donor and recipient area during the first month. I’ll just apply at the scalp shower and let it sit there for five minutes and then wash it off and my scalp.  The soothing/cooling effect really helps alleviate any discomfort to the recipient and donor areas in my opinion.  Note that this is just something I used personally doing my hair transplants and it’s not a formal recommendation of any kind.

All the Best,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you so much for giving such a detailed information ...yeh one of my friend even told me that nioxin worked well for him...i can giving it a try..and actually not just itching but nioxin is good for scalp and hair i guess...

--> My Thread

yesterday I massaged them in circular motion with the pads of my fingers and scabs start to come off. But I noticed some small hairs with white cylinder around them falling out. I am 10 days post op. Is it possible to shed that early, or I lost those grafts due to the rubbing?