Can Dutasteride work just topically for hair loss without going systemic to lower DHT?

I'm late to this topical dutasteride game, so forgive me if these questions are too newbie.

But can dut really work topically to inhibit the 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors on the scalp and not have to go systemic to lower DHT?

• Administrators

In theory, yes. But there’s no solid evidence. Anecdotally, I’ve been on it a few months. No side effects, hair feels better, but hard to say for sure. At worst, I think it’s maintaining my hair, at best, seems to thicken some thinning areas. 

I feel a noticeable difference between the fin and dut. I do believe side effects can occur more with finasteride because it absorbs more easily. Dut absorbs slower and it doesn’t penetrate as deep due to the dalton size (theoretically). I think dut is the best topical on the market, though, CosmeRNA just came out, so that may be a contender. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.