Going out without a hat?

Hey guys. 

What are your opinions on when it’s safe to go outside without a hat post op? For reference I’m about 3.5 months post op and have not gone outside without a hat yet - trying to protect the recipient from the sun and also UV rays on cloudy days.

When did you go outside without a hat? My post op says to wear a hat for 3-6 months but obviously 3 months vs 6 months is quite a big gap of time. I’ll probably just play it safe but please tell me your experiences :)

thanks!

Edited by Vortex

Vortex,

It really depends on what you mean by "safe".  Regardless of your hair transplant, long term skin exposure to the sun can lead to sunburn and even skin cancer in extreme cases.  Thus, it's a bad idea to expose thinning areas of the scalp to the sun long-term since the scalp possesses the same risk that other exposed areas of your body possesses.  That to say, your transplanted hairs are fully secured between 7 to 10 days post-op.  Thus, at 2.5 months, sun exposure won't do anything to harm your grafts.  However, if the top of your head is still healing and a bit tender at this stage, long-term exposure may cause extended postoperative redness and a longer healing period.

The above said, Dr. Rahal typically recommends wearing a hat for about 6 months after your procedure if you are exposing your scalp to the sun for an extended period of time.  Other surgeons may have different recommendations, but we feel that this is optimal to prevent any extended redness.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.