Can someone help with my bad transplant? Thanks.

I had a transplant in June 2022. I have been back and forth with the doctor, the redness is still there after 10 months, and i have been on antibiotics and other cream for 3 months. I am so disappointed with the results. I went to dr. Bisanga last month and he told me my redness has to go away before the 2nd HT. He told me to take oral minoxidil too. 

Anyone has redness this long? I am so so disappointed.

@Pelange,

Is there anyway that you can post a few more photos? Based on the photo you presented, I am actually really surprised to hear that you had a hair transplant. To be honest, from the picture it looks like you have extensive hair loss and would not be a good candidate for surgery. And that photo, was that before surgery or are you saying that’s what looks like now?

as for postoperative redness, it can last for quite some time after surgery.  But, my question to you is, have you seen any growth? At 10 months you should be almost fully grown in now. From the photo, I’m not really seeing any signs of growth.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Pelange,

Is there anyway that you can post a few more photos? Based on the photo you presented, I am actually really surprised to hear that you had a hair transplant. To be honest, from the picture it looks like you have extensive hair loss and would not be a good candidate for surgery. And that photo, was that before surgery or are you saying that’s what looks like now?

as for postoperative redness, it can last for quite some time after surgery.  But, my question to you is, have you seen any growth? At 10 months you should be almost fully grown in now. From the photo, I’m not really seeing any signs of growth.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks for your reply. I attached more pics here. Sometimes the angle i took pics will make it look different. I am not happy with my first ht. Almost 2000 grafts.  Disappointed:(

Before surgery.jpeg

Surgery 2.jpeg

Surgery 3.jpeg

Surgery 1.jpeg

Surgery 4 months after.jpeg

Surgery 6 months after.jpeg

Surgery 10 months after.jpeg

Sorry...did you say you've been on antibiotics for three months?!

Did you mean antibiotic pills? or antibiotic creams?

Neither one is good to take for so long.  Generally you shouldn't be putting anything on your healing scalp.  Using antibiotic creams excessively can irritate your skin even more, including redness.  If you've been putting antibiotic cream on your scalp this whole time, then this could be why it's still red.

If it's pills, then I would be surprised if a doctor prescribed you pills for this long of a period unless you have some sort of chronic health issue that never goes away.  A hair transplant isn't a reason to be on antibiotics this long.  

This is very amateur work. 2000 grafts spread all throughout your hair. Looks like all it did was replace the current hair you had,

which wasn’t much. You need to do it by sections and have a game plan and do your research. Don’t expect the clinic to have your best interest. You need to know what you doing too. And what the realistic outcome is.  Especially when you a difficult case with the amount of hairloss already.. best wishes. But yeah i feel ya.. all that money and time wasted just to do it again. 

Criminal result.. sorry to see that it must be hard to deal with. Try not to be too down though, great choice with Dr Bisanga to help you fix the situation. Have patience and I’m sure he can help you get the best result possible.

PS please help the community by advising which clinic did this work..

Edited by New_Barnet_Please

3 hours ago, Bucky O Hair said:

Sorry...did you say you've been on antibiotics for three months?!

Did you mean antibiotic pills? or antibiotic creams?

Neither one is good to take for so long.  Generally you shouldn't be putting anything on your healing scalp.  Using antibiotic creams excessively can irritate your skin even more, including redness.  If you've been putting antibiotic cream on your scalp this whole time, then this could be why it's still red.

If it's pills, then I would be surprised if a doctor prescribed you pills for this long of a period unless you have some sort of chronic health issue that never goes away.  A hair transplant isn't a reason to be on antibiotics this long.  

The other dermatologist gave me the antibiotics(doxycycline ) for 3 months and the moment as one and clindamycin phosphate solution too use daily for the redness. I felt the redness is better now, but still there

7 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

Criminal result.. sorry to see that it must be hard to deal with. Try not to be too down though, great choice with Dr Bisanga to help you fix the situation. Have patience and I’m sure he can help you get the best result possible.

PS please help the community by advising which clinic did this work..

Thanks for your comfort. It sucks and makes me feel worse. Dr. Bisanga said the new hair is too thin and sparse. And he wants to see me 6 months later and he told me to use oral minoxidil to help the grow. Hope it will be a little better. I felt i wasted 2000 grafts. 

From the pictures you seemed very little dense on the implantation...

I would still out the clinic if I was you because it really was a poor job on their behalf. However on a more positive note I can see that at least the majority of hairs grew from there so it's something you can use for the next transplants. 

4 hours ago, Pelange said:

Thanks for your comfort. It sucks and makes me feel worse. Dr. Bisanga said the new hair is too thin and sparse. And he wants to see me 6 months later and he told me to use oral minoxidil to help the grow. Hope it will be a little better. I felt i wasted 2000 grafts. 

Ah do not blame yourself you didn’t waste the grafts, the clinic that did this disgraceful job did. Hair restoration is a mine field, the best thing you can do is make the most positive steps from here out. Since you specifically asked for help - you are doing the right things now. See an expert dermatologist (sounds like you’ve got some good advice there) and wait until the skin has fully healed. Dr Bisanga actually did my ht (search for my thread if you’re interested) so I know he’s honest, ethical and will tell you the truth of what’s possible so I would say just try to be patient and see him again when he recommended. Oral minoxidil (2.5mg) had an amazing effect for me personally, so if you research that it could be worth a try. You’ve been through a lot - things can and will get better I’m sure just take your time and make the right calm decisions going forward - all the best!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pelange said:

The other dermatologist gave me the antibiotics(doxycycline ) for 3 months and the moment as one and clindamycin phosphate solution too use daily for the redness. I felt the redness is better now, but still there

OK.  But it's probably good to maybe get a second opinion from another dermatologist on this (or ask Dr. Bisanga if it's okay to use steroid creams on a healing scalp that is trying to grown recently transplanted hairs).  

It's not the end of the world though.  You found yourself a good HT doc and when this all heals up I'm sure you'll be able to take any next steps to make things better.

3 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

OK.  But it's probably good to maybe get a second opinion from another dermatologist on this (or ask Dr. Bisanga if it's okay to use steroid creams on a healing scalp that is trying to grown recently transplanted hairs).  

It's not the end of the world though.  You found yourself a good HT doc and when this all heals up I'm sure you'll be able to take any next steps to make things better.

Thanks so much. It is disappointing and i am going to talk to couple of HT transplant doctors this month and see what they say. 

5 hours ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

Ah do not blame yourself you didn’t waste the grafts, the clinic that did this disgraceful job did. Hair restoration is a mine field, the best thing you can do is make the most positive steps from here out. Since you specifically asked for help - you are doing the right things now. See an expert dermatologist (sounds like you’ve got some good advice there) and wait until the skin has fully healed. Dr Bisanga actually did my ht (search for my thread if you’re interested) so I know he’s honest, ethical and will tell you the truth of what’s possible so I would say just try to be patient and see him again when he recommended. Oral minoxidil (2.5mg) had an amazing effect for me personally, so if you research that it could be worth a try. You’ve been through a lot - things can and will get better I’m sure just take your time and make the right calm decisions going forward - all the best!

Thanks a lot. Tears in eyes when reading you guy's comments. Wish I know this forum better. I will keep positive and try my best. Thanks again.

6 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

From the pictures you seemed very little dense on the implantation...

I would still out the clinic if I was you because it really was a poor job on their behalf. However on a more positive note I can see that at least the majority of hairs grew from there so it's something you can use for the next transplants. 

Thanks. I will see the doc next month and will let you guys know what is going on. I don't want to reveal his name yet. I felt he is a nice guy. :(