How long does the redness stay?

Just now, Ralph kaka said:

Hi all,

How long does the redness on the scalp stay post procedure? Do you need steroids long term for it to go away or does it resolve on its own?

It will resolve itself, just takes time, differs for everyone. Can be approx 2 weeks for most people. Don’t worry if it’s a little longer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

It will resolve itself, just takes time, differs for everyone. Can be approx 2 weeks for most people. Don’t worry if it’s a little longer. 

I’m 1 month post op and I still have redness

• Like 1

@BRITA-XL thanks man, another question for you- I haven’t been excersising but my heart rate has been like 80-95 beats per minute some times post op. Normally my resting heart rate is like 60. Could this compromise my grafts? Or is it normal as your healing to have such fluctuations?

2 minutes ago, Ralph kaka said:

@BRITA-XL thanks man, another question for you- I haven’t been excersising but my heart rate has been like 80-95 beats per minute some times post op. Normally my resting heart rate is like 60. Could this compromise my grafts? Or is it normal as your healing to have such fluctuations?

How many days post op are you?

6 minutes ago, Ralph kaka said:

It’s normal for our heart rate to fluctuate regardless of what activity’s/exercising we are doing, obviously worrying/stress can cause it to spike. Nothing to worry about, it’s not going to compromise you’re grafts. Definitely follow you’re clinics advice when it comes to increasing you’re activity level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRITA-XL said:

It’s normal for our heart rate to fluctuate regardless of what activity’s/exercising we are doing, obviously worrying/stress can cause it to spike. Nothing to worry about, it’s not going to compromise you’re grafts. Definitely follow you’re clinics advice when it comes to increasing you’re activity level. 

Thanks I was stressed out today and my heart beat was pounding very hard but I’m glad to hear this that my hair will be okay and I won’t lose any grafts 

• Valued Contributor

I had little redness after my first surgery January last year. However I am now over three months post op from my second surgery and I still have redness around the hairline and temples. It has continued to fade since I had the surgery so don't worry. It will eventually be gone completely. 👍

2 hours ago, BaldV said:

It doesnt always go away completely, sometimes it stays there permanently.

Are you sure?

I believe that 'scalp redness' is the result of your blood being sent there to heal your skin (similar to why your skin is red after a sunburn).

It doesn't make sense that it would stay permanently red.  That would mean that your body is permanently trying to repair your skin, and failing to do so (which I don't think makes any sense).