FUT or FUE poll

Which do you prefer?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BRITA-XL said:

True, i remember a lot of FUT/FUE debates back around a decade ago, Dr Feller was always very pro FUT. They both still have their place, but in 2023 those patients are becoming fewer and fewer. Not many Drs are actually performing it on a regular basis.

If I started over I would absolutely be choosing FUE/BHT even as a NW6. After 2 FUTs and subsequent revision it’s still not good, and that is with trichophytic closure.

Ah yes, Dr. Feller, he once referred to us as peanuts in a peanut gallery. He was a talented surgeon. Unfortunately, he didn’t believe in FUE, and I feel that has been detrimental to his practice. As a matter of fact, that has been detrimental to the US hair transplant industry as a whole. The US is behind Europe in terms of FUE skill. 

There’s no denying there’s more up and coming talent in Europe and other parts of the world. I believe this anti-FUE narrative has come back to bite many US surgeons in the butt. Instead of learning, some surgeons have bought the Artas which we all know is not in a place to compete with talented surgeons, or technicians. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Oh I was viewing it as fut first than fue compared to just fue. But who knows maybe it wouldn’t matter. Big fue cases are taking hair outside of the safe zone too though while a good fut is usually in the safe zone. But yes multiple strips leads to big scars should rarely do more than 2 

It’s mostly just a laxity thing. Some people have enough for 5 strips. Some only have enough for one.

Just now, Melvin- Moderator said:

Ah yes, Dr. Feller, he once referred to us as peanuts in a peanut gallery. He was a talented surgeon. Unfortunately, he didn’t believe in FUE, and I feel that has been detrimental to his practice. As a matter of fact, that has been detrimental to the US hair transplant industry as a whole. The US is behind Europe in terms of FUE skill. 

There’s no denying there’s more up and coming talent in Europe and other parts of the world. I believe this anti-FUE narrative has come back to bite many US surgeons in the butt. Instead of learning, some surgeons have bought the Artas which we all know is not in a place to compete with talented surgeons, or technicians. 

Oh I remember that thread well! And yes while the US soldiered on with FUT the rest of the world moved to FUE. I know that Blake (Bloxham) trained In FUT and is still performing it. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

“Peanut gallery” is not a phrase with offensive and negative connotations in my book. Perhaps it varies country by country. It simply refers to the audience. We’re all peanuts sometimes.

That’s a very condescending and patronizing comment. It’s shocking that a doctor would use that on a public forum. It was shocking to the entire community.

• Well Done 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

14 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That’s a very condescending and patronizing comment. It’s shocking that a doctor would use that on a public forum. It was shocking to the entire community.

Fair enough. I believe Dr Feller was simply using it to distinguish between physicians and laymen. But I see your point that it came across offensively.

• Thumbs-down 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Fair enough. I believe Dr Feller was simply using it to distinguish between physicians and laymen. But I see your point that it came across offensively.

Do you know Dr. Feller?

• Wow 1

View my thread

I took a look at the topic where he used the term, that is what I mean. I was just looking for context. But I understand your position and I see how it was fairly criticised as derogatory.

I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Rafael Manelli

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I thought the practice, with Dr. Bloxham operating, is highly regarded with excellent results (largely FUT)?

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, JoeD said:

I thought the practice, with Dr. Bloxham operating, is highly regarded with excellent results (largely FUT)?

I didn’t say they weren’t, but the reality is fewer patients want FUT. Not adapting to the market is detrimental to their practice. Now, maybe Dr. Bloxham is different. I’m only speaking regarding Dr. Feller. 

• Like 1

View my thread

9 minutes ago, JoeD said:

I see good work here, but looking at other forums/outlets not so much, some “meh” work too. 

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you trying to say European surgeons produce better results than US surgeons with FUE procedures? Does that include Canadian?

Edited by Sunset Dune

I got FUT for my first procedure give i'm relatively young (mid 30s) and a norwood 6, so I wanted to maximize grafts and reduce chance of transection. Luckily I was able to get a high graft count (close to 6k), but am still having slight buyers remorse due the possibility of a visible scar. If I were to get another procedure it would definitely be FUE at this point

For me I really wanted the  ability to wear a fade cut, therefore, a FUE/BHT combo was the only way forward for me.  This approach also felt more risk-adverse to me, as I went in the with mindset, it it failed I could just smp and shave (without fear of a linear scar). FUE/BHT  worked for me, but I had good beard to supplement. For someone who is comfortable with having there hair long on the back, there is no denying FUT is a great way to max scalp grafts. But I think FUT downfall in demand lies in that the majority of males in there 20s & 30s want the ability to have short hair on the back and sides.

Edited by Bandit90

12 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Interesting. Who are the 5 or so doctors you have in mind?

Konior, Nadimi, Hattengin, Shapiro, H&W. Personally, if you want the smallest scar, I’d opt for the first two only. The rest do larger sessions, but the trade-off is that you are more likely to get a wider scar. 

24 minutes ago, BaldV said:

I would never do FUT

Fair enough. Why? Do you like very short haircuts? Are you scared of scar stretching or would even a good scar be unacceptable to you? Are you afraid of just getting a big slab of flesh cut from your head? 

56 minutes ago, Z-- said:

Konior, Nadimi, Hattengin, Shapiro, H&W. Personally, if you want the smallest scar, I’d opt for the first two only. The rest do larger sessions, but the trade-off is that you are more likely to get a wider scar. 

There are all top quality for sure. 

4 hours ago, MaximusEastwood said:

I got FUT for my first procedure give i'm relatively young (mid 30s) and a norwood 6, so I wanted to maximize grafts and reduce chance of transection. Luckily I was able to get a high graft count (close to 6k), but am still having slight buyers remorse due the possibility of a visible scar. If I were to get another procedure it would definitely be FUE at this point

Are you worried that you are "locked in" to having hair now, incase hair loss advances and you can't maintain an aesthetic result, but you can't shave your head either? 

1 hour ago, Bandit90 said:

For me I really wanted the  ability to wear a fade cut, therefore, a FUE/BHT combo was the only way forward for me.  This approach also felt less risk-adverse to me, as I went in the with mindset, it it failed I could just smp and shave (without fear of a linear scar). FUE/BHT  worked for me, but I had good beard to supplement. For someone who is comfortable with having there hair long on the back, there is no denying FUT is a great way to max scalp grafts. But I think FUT downfall in demand lies in that the majority of males in there 20s & 30s want the ability to have short hair on the back and sides.

I think this is pretty accurate. The only thing I would add is that FUE has risen not just due to consumer demand but also because it's far more accessible to physicians. Learning how to do strip takes a big investment, they need a large staff, and at the end of it you have to sell it to patients with education because average guy just doesn't want it and doesn't see the point. Especially young guys in their 20s and 30s. The other thing is learning FUE gives the doctor access to BHT as well. It's clearly worked out very well in your case. 

9 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Fair enough. Why? Do you like very short haircuts? Are you scared of scar stretching or would even a good scar be unacceptable to you? Are you afraid of just getting a big slab of flesh cut from your head? 

Basically everything that you mentioned, and I wouldnt describe the last part as a simple thing. 

25 minutes ago, BaldV said:

Basically everything that you mentioned, and I wouldnt describe the last part as a simple thing. 

I understand. I think you mistook my use of the word "just". I didn't mean to imply it was 'simple', but more that it's just kind of obvious. As in, it's just common sense. People don't want that done to them. They find it gruesome. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

FUE overall is less invasive and takes less time to recover. Everything equal, it makes FUE the go-to procedure. Now, are there cases where FUT may be more appropriate, sure, but they are few and far in between.

”just getting a big slab of flesh cut from your head.” Is not something small or insignificant. There’s chance of permanent nerve damage if done incorrectly. Higher chances of infection. Overall, it’s more invasive. If you can get the same growth, with minimal scarring, and recover with less pain, in less time. It’s a no-brainer for most.

• Like 1

View my thread

FUE only.

I held off on getting a hair transplant for 10 years because I wanted to avoid the linear scar that FUT brings, as I always that 'get out of jail free' card where I could buzz my head short (in case my hair loss progresses to the point where a HT can't fix it anymore).  I also waited a bit longer because FUE was pretty early and was still using larger punches and doing small sessions only.

According to all hair transplant forums (15 years ago) it was always about getting FUT only.  Then, a few years later the best practice was to always start with FUT + a small FUE procedure for your second procedure.  Nowadays, FUE has became the standard with much smaller punches with many clinics conducting FUE megasessions (with FUT largely being extinct).

The argument was always that FUT was some "gold standard" with FUE just giving you the benefit of having no linear scar.  But, now it seems that argument has been debunked as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I didn’t say they weren’t, but the reality is fewer patients want FUT. Not adapting to the market is detrimental to their practice. Now, maybe Dr. Bloxham is different. I’m only speaking regarding Dr. Feller. 

I've always hated how Dr. Feller released all those hit pieces on YouTube bashing FUE.  He was a great FUT doc, but he just seems like a grumpy old-head who refuses to adapt and change, so he chooses to attack it.  I've never met him, but it's just how he comes across in these videos.

However, I have to stand up for Dr. Bloxham.  

I had a consultation with him (9 years ago) and I had put a down payment on an FUE procedure that I decided to cancel afterward.  He gave me back my down payment (when he didn't have to) and he'll always be a stand up guy to me for doing that.

Edited by Bucky O Hair
  • Like 1

I'm 99% convinced Rafael Manelli is Dr Alan Feller. Even more so that his username is an anagram of Alan Feller. Be interesting to get his take on FUE/BHT as replacement for FUT in higher norwoods. 

• Wow 1
  • Well Done 2
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Bandit90 said:

I'm 99% convinced Rafael Manelli is Dr Alan Feller. Even more so that his username is an anagram of Alan Feller. Be interesting to get his take on FUE/BHT as replacement for FUT in higher norwoods. 

I found it very odd that he was bumping 15 year old posts of Dr. Feller. I did ask him if he knew Dr. Feller. I would be interested to hear what he says. 

View my thread

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

I've always hated how Dr. Feller released all those hit pieces on YouTube bashing FUE.  He was a great FUT doc, but he just seems like a grumpy old-head who refuses to adapt and change, so he chooses to attack it.  I've never met him, but it's just how he comes across in these videos.

However, I have to stand up for Dr. Bloxham.  

I had a consultation with him (9 years ago) and I had put a down payment on an FUE procedure that I decided to cancel afterward.  He gave me back my down payment (when he didn't have to) and he'll always be a stand up guy to me for doing that.

I have nothing against Feller or Bloxham. I feel Dr. Bloxham should probably explore FUE more, if he isn’t already. 

View my thread