Poor Looking Hair - 2.5 year Post Op - 2nd Transplant Needed

Hi guys,

Last year I started feeling as if my hair transplant was falling apart, or that perhaps my hair just wasn't looking as good as it did 1 year after surgery.

Then I think I might have went into denial about the quality of my hair - I even posted here suggesting things are not so bad.

Now however I have accepted that I am deeply unsatisfied with my hair.

I had a 2,040 FUE transplant with Saifi 2.5 years ago. Looked good when it first developed. Doesn't look great any more.

I have been losing a lot of hair. Loads of hair coming out almost every day. I'm not sure exactly where the hairs are coming from. This is despite using 1.25mg fin daily + Regaine.

I'm convinced that my hair transplant area has thinned, and that a lot of the transplanted hairs have fallen out.

Dr Saifi of course says that my native hair has fallen out, I personally believe a lot of my transplanted hair has fallen apart.

The right side is not too bad, but it would benefit from a top up.

The left side is terrible. Its just really thin and weak. I've become very self conscious of it. It doesn't look right. It doesn't seem to be growing right, and I'm now limited in how I can style it.

I need a transplant ASAP. Anyone any idea how many grafts I would need?

Also should I increase my dose of finasteride? Has finasteride and Regaine lost efficacy? Should I start taking dutasteride? 

Any Dr reccomendations?

I am pretty much ready to book a transplant immediately.

Thanks.

20230422_111904.jpg

20230422_111858.jpg

20230422_111852.jpg

20230422_111827.jpg

20230422_111814.jpg

20230422_111713.jpg

20230419_225609.jpg

• Valued Contributor

Once the transplanted hairs are fully grown thn its not doctors fault with transplant ...its not that transplanted hairs fall off aftr 2 years...you would have lost your native hair as well even if you are on finasteride ...cause its not that each and evryone will be able to slow down the hairfall...there are many people who are not good responder to meds and they don't achieve the desired results ....even if you will go for 2nd ht and if your native hair would keep falling than you will be in the same situation after an year or two...so first consult a good doctor and stabilise the hairfall and than think abt the surgery ....

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

24 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

Once the transplanted hairs are fully grown thn its not doctors fault with transplant ...its not that transplanted hairs fall off aftr 2 years...

Mostly true however there is a caveat if the doctor harvested outside of the safe zone, which is too common with FUE unfortunately as it is practiced today. There is always a risk of further thinning.

For Rossy, I would say there is no point rushing into a transplant when you haven’t even identified what has gone wrong because it could happen again. Get a biopsy. Get a professional to look at it personally.

I'm sorry to hear about this @Rossybop. I remember the forum hadn't heard from you for a long time, then you posted a few months ago saying how happy you were with everything (even though you still noted the hair falling out). It's common to go through cycles of acceptance, denial, acceptance, denial, etc with hair transplants. The end-result and patient happiness is incredibly subjective. 

While I understand how eager you are to have a 2nd HT ASAP, I do think unfortunately the wise choice is first an in-person examination. While it may be unlikely you have some sort of underlying scalp condition adversely affecting your HT, your comments and self-diagnosis of hair falling out do make a scalp condition a realistic possibility. 

You don't want to go thru the stress and money of another HT if you have an undiagnosed scalp issue. 

Who is to say hair wont fall out after the 2nd procedure?

Your hair looks good, at least from these pics.

I don't think you need to rush in another transplant. You can use some hair fiber for a while and let your hair loss settle down. Having a transplant when we have lots of native hair is tricky and a continuous money pit as we will keep on loosing native hair. Medications work only to certain extent. Also we cannot expect density of transplanted hair to be perfect. There is always something left to desire.

I will add too that thus far you have only had 1 single hair transplant. 

I would honestly say 90%+ of guys who go down this journey need at least 2 or more procedures. 

So looking at this from a 10,000 ft view, even if you do need a 2nd HT, I really wouldnt consider this to be a tragedy or a miscarriage of justice, etc. 

I hope that adds some perspective to this.