hims topical finasteride dilution: appropriate solvent, math

grassPacket

I've decided to try low concentration topical finasteride in lieu of oral due to the potential for cognitive effects. I'm working towards an engineering degree and am required to have As in some challenging classes. Cognitive deficiencies (even temporary) are not an option. Not yet, anyway.

I was planning on buying a 60 mL bottle of hims finasteride + minoxidil solution and diluting it from 0.3% finasteride to 0.01% (1 mL to localized areas daily). But what solvent should I use (a name of a particular product would be nice)? I can't find info on what hims uses and I have to match it to avoid complications.  

In addition, in order to achieve the desired concentration, I believe I should take 2 mL of the finasteride + minoxidil solution and add it to 58 mL of solvent. Would that be correct?

• Administrators

You can buy topical finasteride that is 0.01%. Topicals are all about the vehicle. For example, a liposomal silicone-based vehicle suspends the finasteride on your scalp so it penetrates slowly. These solutions usually have 2.5% finasteride as a result. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You can buy topical finasteride that is 0.01%. Topicals are all about the vehicle. For example, a liposomal silicone-based vehicle suspends the finasteride on your scalp so it penetrates slowly. These solutions usually have 2.5% finasteride as a result. 

I know both of those things, but I was considering the dilution route since hims charges a little more than half what other compounding pharmacies do for custom formulations. Money isnt necessarily a big deal, but still. 

I would like liposomal topical finasteride, but I still wouldn't want the concentration that high and I haven't had much luck finding a source of customizable liposomal finasteride.

Edited by grassPacket

• Administrators

FUEclinic might be able to prescribe this for you. That said, there have been complaints about their compounding pharmacies customer service, so proceed with caution.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, grassPacket said:

I know both of those things, but I was considering the dilution route since hims charges a little more than half what other compounding pharmacies do for custom formulations. Money isnt necessarily a big deal, but still. 

I would like liposomal topical finasteride, but I still wouldn't want the concentration that high and I haven't had much luck finding a source of customizable liposomal finasteride.

Liposomal formulations require a higher concentration. However, have you considered dutasteride? In my experience, it has less chance of side effects because the molecular weight is heavier, which means it doesn’t penetrate as easily as finasteride. 

• Like 1

View my thread