36M - Thoughts on FUT and graft count

I've been told by one popular HT doctor they wouldn't touch my hair for a HT.

I've been told by another popular HT doctor they would only do FUT.

I take topical finasteride/minodoxil mix.

Just curious what the community thinks regarding graft count and eligibility for a HT.

Thanks in advance!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4_scrubbed.png

5_scrubbed.png

• Administrators

I don’t see why you’re not a candidate at 36 and on meds. You’re a Norwood 6, is the clinic you’re contacting have a large portfolio working on class 6s?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, mrmajified said:

Hi Melvin,

I honestly thought I was a NW4.

Dr. Wong (of Hasson and Wong) quoted me at 4000-4500 grafts FUT.

Dr. Rahal said they wouldn't do it.

Thanks.

It’s not where you are, it’s where you’re headed. You have a Norwood 6 pattern. 

Let me tag @Rahal Hair Transplant maybe they can shed some light as to why you’re not a candidate. 

In my opinion, your donor looks healthy. Your not too young, and you’re on medication. I can’t see why you’re not a candidate unless your expectation are unrealistic.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@mrmajified,

I actually just posted a reply and I’m now editing it because I see that a statement was made that our clinic told you that you were not a candidate.  That said, on the surface, you do appear to be a good candidate as far as I can tell based on the information you presented…for instance, your age and the pictures you posted.  On the other hand, sometimes things come up during an information session that may change what appears to be the case on the surface.

At this time, I don’t know the details related to your situation and any discussions you had with our team.  While I am researching this and speaking with our team, anything you could provide would be helpful. For example, what was the reason  our clinic provided as to why you are not a candidate? Who did you speak with? Did you meet with Dr. Rahal? Was it an in person or video session?  

I just sent a message to Dr. Rahal and another member of our team in order to obtain the necessary details to provide a formal response.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

@Rahal Hair Transplant

Dr. Rahal reviewed your file and photos and he feels that a hair transplant is not the best option for you. With hair restoration, Dr. Rahal evaluates your donor supply (on the back & sides of your head) relative to your current & potential future hair loss. You have an advanced pattern of hair loss and many areas that require coverage. Your donor supply is very limited. Therefore, Dr. Rahal does not feel we can offer significant improvement with a procedure. Surgery is not the best option for you.

Pretty sure the photos I sent were the same ones I posted here.

13 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It’s not where you are, it’s where you’re headed. You have a Norwood 6 pattern. 

Let me tag @Rahal Hair Transplant maybe they can shed some light as to why you’re not a candidate. 

In my opinion, your donor looks healthy. Your not too young, and you’re on medication. I can’t see why you’re not a candidate unless your expectation are unrealistic.

Fair enough. Though if I look at photos from 10 years ago, not much has changed in my opinion.

6_scrubbed.png

57 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@mrmajified,

I actually just posted a reply and I’m now editing it because I see that a statement was made that our clinic told you that you were not a candidate.  That said, on the surface, you do appear to be a good candidate as far as I can tell based on the information you presented…for instance, your age and the pictures you posted.  On the other hand, sometimes things come up during an information session that may change what appears to be the case on the surface.

At this time, I don’t know the details related to your situation and any discussions you had with our team.  While I am researching this and speaking with our team, anything you could provide would be helpful. For example, what was the reason  our clinic provided as to why you are not a candidate? Who did you speak with? Did you meet with Dr. Rahal? Was it an in person or video session?  

I just sent a message to Dr. Rahal and another member of our team in order to obtain the necessary details to provide a formal response.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Hello and thank you for your response.

I sent photos in and the response I received was:

Hi

My name is James from Rahal Patient Services.

Thank you for taking the time to submit your information & photos. We appreciate your time.

Dr. Rahal reviewed your file and photos and he feels that a hair transplant is not the best option for you. With hair restoration, Dr. Rahal evaluates your donor supply (on the back & sides of your head) relative to your current & potential future hair loss. You have an advanced pattern of hair loss and many areas that require coverage. Your donor supply is very limited. Therefore, Dr. Rahal does not feel we can offer significant improvement with a procedure. Surgery is not the best option for you.

However, if you are okay with shaving your head we have another option you may be interested in!

Here at Rahal we also offer Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP). SMP is a small semi-permanent pigment that we do on the scalp to help boost the illusion of density by minimizing the contrast between your hair colour and skin tone. It lasts about 5-7 years. This is a great option to give yourself framing to your face and a full head of hair look, you just need to wear your hair short to match. I have included some result photos to this email so you can take a closer look.

If you are interested in hearing more about this option you can reach out to our patient advisor James Freda by email (click here) and he will be happy to set up a time to discuss this option with you further.

Best Regards,

I think you are a good candidate but the clinics you have to search has to be the ones doing norwood 5/6 cases. So, not just for now they can provide you with good coverage but plan for your crown too in future surgery. (With hair loss progressing)

Else you can do transplant for mid scalp and frontal area from one surgeon. but , also plan well with them for donor management by taking a conservative approach and then you leave enough grafts for next surgeon to do crown work and some density improvements touchups if and when required. (Which will be required for mid scalp once your existing hair goes) 

Can’t tell if you’re heading toward Norwood 6 or not. The comb is blocking the lower crown and that’s the main sign of Norwood 6 territory. 

i also think fue is an option. A better one. Your donor looks pretty strong 

@mrmajified,

I’ve sent you a private message as I do need your full name in order to fully investigate and provide the community with an answer. If you could respond with your full name and any information that will be helpful including the date of the session and who you spoke with a possible.

Thank you,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thank you to everyone for the responses so far.

The comb photo was taken at the request of one of the HT places, but it seems to be blocking the view. Attaching a new one that was not easy to take myself.

3 hours ago, Hair4Days said:

Can’t tell if you’re heading toward Norwood 6 or not. The comb is blocking the lower crown and that’s the main sign of Norwood 6 territory. 

i also think fue is an option. A better one. Your donor looks pretty strong 

7.jpg

I can't speak to your candidacy but I will advise you not to get an FUT at all costs. It must be FUE because if your balding is very advanced you want the option to be able to shave your head if things don't work out. You don't want a grizzly scar on a shaved head. 

• Like 2

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Please grow your hair little bit more. 

It's strange Dr. Hussain Rahal straight away rejected you based on photos, in person consultation is useful to determine the quality of donor Hair. 

You should have consultation from Eugenix as they are very good in high Norwood cases

7 hours ago, mavigo said:

I can't speak to your candidacy but I will advise you not to get an FUT at all costs. It must be FUE because if your balding is very advanced you want the option to be able to shave your head if things don't work out. You don't want a grizzly scar on a shaved head. 

You still have thousands of white dots all over your head. 

Edited by HairEnthusiast101
  • Like 1

I encourage everyone  not to jump to any conclusions at this stage   One thing I do know this point is that it was a member of our team that told the OP that he was not a candidate, NOT Dr. Rahal.

i’ve been in touch with Dr. Rahal and another member of our team but it is the weekend and thus, we have yet to connect with James and obtain all the information.  I am also speaking with the OP privately and working on getting more details from him. We do have his full name so we should have more information tomorrow when everyone is at the clinic.

Now I do want to say this… the latest picture shred by the OP does show what could be some minor thinning in the donor area.  Again, I’m going strictly off pictures and haven’t seen anything up close. The first set of photos shared by the OP shows what look like a very thick donor area and the latest picture looks like the donor area is a little thinner.  Of course, this could be blonder hair rather than scalp showing.

That’s not to say I don’t think he’s a candidate… As I stated previously, based on the information shared here, he seems to be a good candidate.

But generally speaking, if the donor area is on the thinner side, it’s possible…there may be some concerns about possible diffuse and pattern alopecia which would preclude someone from being a good candidate.

BUT The above is all speculation at this point and I wouldn’t even dream of making any determination based on strictly the above…I will definitely need to learn more which I’m working on doing.

We are still investigating what was discussed between the OP and James and will have more information likely tomorrow.

Thank you for everybody’s patience.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

10 hours ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

You still have thousands of white dots all over your head. 

Depends on how he heals. You see cases of obvious white dots, but you also see some where it just blends in with your skin. Smp is also an option to help conceal fue scars 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

I encourage everyone  not to jump to any conclusions at this stage   One thing I do know this point is that it was a member of our team that told the OP that he was not a candidate, NOT Dr. Rahal.

i’ve been in touch with Dr. Rahal and another member of our team but it is the weekend and thus, we have yet to connect with James and obtain all the information.  I am also speaking with the OP privately and working on getting more details from him. We do have his full name so we should have more information tomorrow when everyone is at the clinic.

Now I do want to say this… the latest picture shred by the OP does show what could be some minor thinning in the donor area.  Again, I’m going strictly off pictures and haven’t seen anything up close. The first set of photos shared by the OP shows what look like a very thick donor area and the latest picture looks like the donor area is a little thinner.  Of course, this could be blonder hair rather than scalp showing.

That’s not to say I don’t think he’s a candidate… As I stated previously, based on the information shared here, he seems to be a good candidate.

But generally speaking, if the donor area is on the thinner side, it’s possible…there may be some concerns about possible diffuse and pattern alopecia which would preclude someone from being a good candidate.

BUT The above is all speculation at this point and I wouldn’t even dream of making any determination based on strictly the above…I will definitely need to learn more which I’m working on doing.

We are still investigating what was discussed between the OP and James and will have more information likely tomorrow.

Thank you for everybody’s patience.

Rahal Hair Transplant

I’m not jumping to conclusions (as you say), but that a person from the clinic team (this Jeams), who gives an decision without having the surgeon see the photos (because it’s like things seem to be gone) and also says : “Dr. Rahal reviewed your file and photos and he feels that ahair transplant is not the best option for you.."  This is very serious for a clinic of the caliber of Dr. Rahal.

12 hours ago, ITA said:

I’m not jumping to conclusions (as you say), but that a person from the clinic team (this Jeams), who gives an decision without having the surgeon see the photos (because it’s like things seem to be gone) and also says : “Dr. Rahal reviewed your file and photos and he feels that ahair transplant is not the best option for you.."  This is very serious for a clinic of the caliber of Dr. Rahal.

Exactly my thoughts. 

Makes me wonder whether Dr. Rahal really reviews the photos of patients or it's their assistant who share their own thoughts. 

• Like 1

Dear members, Dr. Rahal sent me the following regarding this case

—-

The goal of a consultation is to determine if a patient is a candidate for a hair transplant. I assess various factors, such as hair loss pattern, family history, medication use, age, expectations, hair caliber, donor availability, and hair and scalp contrast. If signs of miniaturization, advanced hair loss in the family, or misaligned expectations are present, I may recommend waiting to better understand the patient's hair loss progression and ensure long-term success.

—-

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

My intention was not to call out any clinic, but to get opinions before I pay the large deposit on the 4000-4500 graft FUT quote. Thanks to everyone who commented so far. I'm still kind of torn based on some responses. 4000-4500 grafts FUT; any more opinions on this?

Thanks