Minoxidil - Double oral dose or include topical?

jim1973

As I still continue to lose ground on 2.5mg of oral Minoxidil (6 months so far after switching from topical), I am going to increase my dosage.  I take my 2.5mg pill in the morning.  Would you recommend applying topical Minoxidil in the evening or or taking another 2.5mg pill in the evening to get a total dose of 5mg/day?  I plan on doing one or the other in order to see some results (I do not have any side effects with 2.5 now.  I also had been taking 1mg of oral FIN daily but am moving on to .5mg oral Dut daily).  

• Administrators

Are you getting any sides with 2.5mg? I would probably start taking 5mg twice a week and slowly move up. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin- Moderator No negative sides other than massive shed/hair fall.  Coincidently have had 2 different doctor appts and both checked my heart rate and blood pressure and all were normal with no changes between baseline and on 2.5mg Minoxidil.  I've seen your videos where you mention significant improvement on oral Minoxidil so hoping for the same.  Since I didn't get on 2.5mg, hoping 5mg does the trick.  

If you are getting a shed, isn't that a sign that it is working? How long have you been taking 2.5mg? Give it at least 6 months. 

Hairloss began at age 23. 

Oral Finasteride 1mg daily since 2006, Topical Minoxidil since 2012. Hair transplant 3,400 grafts 2019. Second hair transplant 2,400 grafts in 2023. 

@FinallyHT I began the 2.5mg 6 months ago with no positive results, only a continuous shed since then.  I'd like to think the shed would be positive if it hasn't lasted for several months but from what I read, the positive sheds usually only last a couple of weeks, not 6 months.