2 months on oral minoxidil - no shedding

Vortex

Hey guys, just a question really - I’ve been taking oral minoxidil for approx 2 months now to support my recent HT, I was expecting some sort of shed by now (of native hair) but it hasn’t happened. Does this mean it’s not working?

Edited by Vortex

• Valued Contributor

It doesn't mean that its not working ...evryone adopts to medication in different way and its not a thumb rule that you will have shedding ..its never one thing fits all kinda thing when it comes to meds....so don't worry and continue using the meds if your body tolerated it well and you didn't face any adverse effects ...it will help your native as well as your newly implanted hairs in a great way...best of luck and keep updating ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, Vortex said:

Hey guys, just a question really - I’ve been taking oral minoxidil for approx 2 months now to support my recent HT, I was expecting some sort of shed by now (of native hair) but it hasn’t happened. Does this mean it’s not working?

Not at all. I would be giving oral minoxidil at least 6 months before casting judgement. Taking it while growing out a hair transplant will be difficult to judge due to the fact that it takes months for the new hair to mature. I would remain on the drug and be patient. I take oral minoxidil 5mg and for my situation I have found it to be a game changer. All the best!

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Not at all. I would be giving oral minoxidil at least 6 months before casting judgement. Taking it while growing out a hair transplant will be difficult to judge due to the fact that it takes months for the new hair to mature. I would remain on the drug and be patient. I take oral minoxidil 5mg and for my situation I have found it to be a game changer. All the best!

do u think 5 mg is a more effective dosage than the 2.5 in your experience? i thought 2.5 was the standard for hair loss, at least in the US. 

4 hours ago, Archan said:

It doesn't mean that its not working ...evryone adopts to medication in different way and its not a thumb rule that you will have shedding ..its never one thing fits all kinda thing when it comes to meds....so don't worry and continue using the meds if your body tolerated it well and you didn't face any adverse effects ...it will help your native as well as your newly implanted hairs in a great way...best of luck and keep updating ...

Okay thanks, I just thought it was strange! I haven’t had any side effects thankfully, so I’ll just keep taking it. 

3 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Thanks, I’ll definitely keep taking it and see what happens. On the topic of implanted hairs maturing… when they initially appear, is it like a black dot on the scalp, or are they basically invisible when they’re growing and only become noticeable once they’ve gained some pigment/matured a bit?

Edited by Vortex

3 hours ago, 12345 said:

do u think 5 mg is a more effective dosage than the 2.5 in your experience? i thought 2.5 was the standard for hair loss, at least in the US. 

Effectiveness of minoxidil along with the probability of facing side effects increases with its dosage . People start with 0.625 sometimes then go to 1.25 and then to 2.5 to see how well they tolerate it.

2.5 is the recommended dosage for men. 5 mg you can take but that comes with sides.

Remember that it is a black label drug. I know that the dosage for hair loss is low but why take the 5 mg until the lesser dosage is working for you.

Edited by duckling

3 hours ago, 12345 said:

5mg daily is the standard dosage by prescribing doctors in Europe.

If side affects are of concern, you can work your way onto this dosage - I took 2.5mg daily for 6 weeks, and then moved onto 5mg daily, split between 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5mg in the evening. 

Been on this coming up to 15 months and zero negative side effects. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

5mg daily is the standard dosage by prescribing doctors in Europe.

If side affects are of concern, you can work your way onto this dosage - I took 2.5mg daily for 6 weeks, and then moved onto 5mg daily, split between 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5mg in the evening. 

Been on this coming up to 15 months and zero negative side effects. 

how are your results on the 5 mg? 

I was on oral minoxidil monotherapy for the first 8 months, and definitely noticed some strengthening of miniaturised hair that I had. 

At 8 months, I added finasteride, so it would be impossible to attribute the further improvements I have experienced up until now solely on the minoxidil.