Low carb diet after hair transplant.

Hair transplant was 2.5 months ago. Starting to see a few new hairs sprouting through my scalp in the hairline, which is very exciting.  I was just about to start a low carb diet to lose weight, which I had done it very successfully years ago. Out of curiosity, I did a quick Google search on this diet and hair growth, and I’m reading about some potential negative affects. Some saying it is specific to low carb diet itself, some just due to calorie restriction. Thinking about scrapping any idea of losing weight right now and just eating overall healthy/balanced.

Any thoughts from those more knowledgeable? Thanks. 

• Valued Contributor

I dont know about carbs specifically ....but a healthy diet is must for hair's health as well as body health ....you can cut down your fat intake but dont cut down on your nutritions...you can have a healthy nutritious low carb shake evryday if you cut your meals ....and that would reciprocate for the loss of nutritions from meal...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

As others have said, a healthy diet is better to allow your body to recover and hair to grow.

Hair loss could be caused by a very high calorie deficit. 

Personally, I'd eat a maintenance calorific intake and healthy nutritious food. I'd focus on weight loss later so you're sure it doesn't cause issues.

• Valued Contributor

Why would a “healthy balanced diet” be in conflict with your weight loss goals?

As long as you’re getting your essential nutrients, it doesn’t really matter whether you’re “low carb” or not: you can still lose weight and still ensure good hair health. 

@JoeD,

Eating healthy, which includes low carb diet, won’t affect hair growth in any way. Any relationship between hair growth/loss and diet Hass to do with non-genetic types of hair loss, and only extreme malnutrition will cause this.

That said, there is a difference between low carb diets, and no carb diet. For example, I wouldn’t suggest the Atkins diet to anybody, not because of hair loss or growth, but simply because cutting out all carbs and eating tons of fattening and greasy meats isn’t good for you. Now, obviously people lose weight with the Atkins diet and I understand the concept of why. But it is not a good long-term diet and it’s not something that’s good for your overall health 

All that to say, I think, eating a balanced meal, which includes some carbs, but healthy ones, high protein, etc. will optimize your overall health which includes the health of your hair.  That’s not to say if you eat junk food, or don’t optimally that your hair transplant won’t grow, but if you’re concerned about overall health,  I suggest working with a dietitian or a nutritionist who can help you find and prepare the best meals that will help you lose weight in a healthy way.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.