Dr. Timothy Carman FUT reviews?

I am seriously considering booking a date with Dr. C in La Jolla for May, but just wanted to see if there were any testimonials, good or bad on here that maybe didn’t get posted on reddit or here previously. it’s all confusing to choose because there seems to be negative reviews for every doctor, but his work seems the most ethical

4 minutes ago, percahontas said:

I am seriously considering booking a date with Dr. C in La Jolla for May, but just wanted to see if there were any testimonials, good or bad on here that maybe didn’t get posted on reddit or here previously. it’s all confusing to choose because there seems to be negative reviews for every doctor, but his work seems the most ethical

Interesting post as I just don’t see any results from him these days, years ago it was a different matter, I guess if you search here then you wouldn’t really find many or any recent ones. 
Did you consider other Drs/Clinic's? Just wondering if it’s a location thing or if you saw some previous results that impressed you.

i’m not sure how to direct reply on ios but i’m looking in southern california area and saw he had good results. it is a little interesting there’s been not many testimonials recently but he was very informative and wasn’t selling me on getting a transplant. i also want to go fut first because i’m a younger dude. he said 1800 grafts would be good when most said at least 1800-2600

Just now, percahontas said:

i’m not sure how to direct reply on ios but i’m looking in southern california area and saw he had good results. it is a little interesting there’s been not many testimonials recently but he was very informative and wasn’t selling me on getting a transplant. i also want to go fut first because i’m a younger dude. he said 1800 grafts would be good when most said at least 1800-2600

If possible don’t concentrate on one area, it’s very worthwhile looking further afield to get the right Dr/Clinic. 
Don’t rely on cherry picked clinic results, look for patient posted full journeys like you will find here (or elsewhere) the more research you do the better, look at as many results as you can, look at many different Drs/Clinics too! 
See who is doing consistent work, not just from years ago but in 2023 too, I’m not going to suggest anyone in particular, you’re own research is going to be key here. 

6 minutes ago, percahontas said:

Think about if you want to start with FUT, it’s important to consider the types of scar you will have. Starting out with FUT means that linear scar will be noticeable with shorter hair cuts, FUE of course creates scars but it’s usually easier to still have the benefit of shorter styles. 
So many Drs have moved away from FUTs, you will only really see it being done in the US these days, of course it’s still used for certain cases or in higher Norwoods sometimes. 
With guys like Zarev, Pittella etc pushing what can be achieved with FUE then you really have to think about if you want that FUT scar for life. 
What Norwood level would you say you’re classed as?

I would reconsider opting for a FUT transplant unless you: 

1. Are unable to take Finasteride/Dutasteride to stabilize/halt your hair loss progression
  2. Don't intend on wearing your hair short in the future
  3. Have a family history progression of Norwood 6-7s. 
  4. Have retrograde alopecia. 

By the quote of 1800 grafts, it sounds like you are about a Norwood 3. If you are below 25, that would probably be an easily justifiable reason going for a FUT first, in addition to the factors I mentioned above. But please make sure you are gathering information and doing research about the pros/cons of FUE/FUT from unbiased sources. There's a lot of misinformation out there from surgeons who perform FUT primarily (such as Bloxham) and don't acknowledge that based on the scientific literature we have, modern FUE is essentially just as effective as FUT in terms of yield and growth. 

I’ve done a lot of research. I do have retrograde alopecia and I am not yet 25 so those were the heavy factors in my decision to go fut first, because i will presumably have another down the road. I usually get a skin fade but i like it mid to low so the scar won’t be noticeable. 

• Administrators

Dr. Carman is a solid choice, he’s the president of the ABHRS, it’s the closest thing to board certification that hair transplant surgeons can have. I would ask him to provide some patients that you could speak too, or hopefully meet in person.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

16 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

Think about if you want to start with FUT, it’s important to consider the types of scar you will have. Starting out with FUT means that linear scar will be noticeable with shorter hair cuts, FUE of course creates scars but it’s usually easier to still have the benefit of shorter styles. 
So many Drs have moved away from FUTs, you will only really see it being done in the US these days, of course it’s still used for certain cases or in higher Norwoods sometimes. 
With guys like Zarev, Pittella etc pushing what can be achieved with FUE then you really have to think about if you want that FUT scar for life. 

I would say I’m a 3ish maybe bordering 4. I don’t have an established hairline, but my frontal region of hl is in the place it was when i was 18 so just the corners have gone back. I do the jake/logan paul hairstyle right now. any good surgeons in socal that you recommend?

18 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

wound were trichophytic closure has been used is not even visible at 1.5mm haircut and is pencil thin

Edited by SoSoz

4 minutes ago, percahontas said:

I’ve done a lot of research. I do have retrograde alopecia and I am not yet 25 so those were the heavy factors in my decision to go fut first, because i will presumably have another down the road. I usually get a skin fade but i like it mid to low so the scar won’t be noticeable. 

fair enough. Are you on finasteride/dutasteride?

15 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

wound were trichophytic closure has been used is not even visible at 1.5mm haircut and is pencil thin

This is not guaranteed though, the scar in a ideal world is pencil thin, but In reality it can end up thicker and occasionally stretched. I had mine revised and it’s still not great. 

Edited by BRITA-XL
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, percahontas said:

With retrograde Alopecia then you have to be careful you don’t end up drawing attention to a FUT scar, a thinned out donor area could easily make it more prominent. The risks are there for both FUT or FUE of course, just different scarring. 

1 minute ago, percahontas said:

with 1500-1800 grafts on the hairline and fine hair, will there be a noticeable change? Also, will I be required to shave my head if there are grafts implanted into the mid section?

We'd need to see pictures, but probably - unless you're diffusely thinning. Every surgeon is different with the options they offer for shave/no-shave/patchy/etc. It's generally one of three options: Complete shave, a partial trim, or leaving it long. It all depends on the preference of the surgeon. Some surgeons like to leave some hair length in the recipient site to better see the natural angulation and direction of the hair. Very long hair is much more challenging and time consuming, which means fewer grafts per session and more expensive. It's also harder to judge native density when the hair is unshaven. 

My suggestion would be to just follow whatever surgeon prefers and suggests.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2023 at 8:00 AM, SoSoz said:

hey are you sure you can't see the scar at 1.5mm? That's like a 1 guard. I've heard not to go less than a 4 or 5. this is the only thing stopping me at the moment

On 3/30/2023 at 7:41 AM, BRITA-XL said:

I'm going with Fue and have a surgery date booked with Dr. Pan who is a younger guy who works with Parsa Mohebi's at the same clinic. He is legit

• 4 months later...
On 5/6/2023 at 2:39 AM, percahontas said:

I'm going with Fue and have a surgery date booked with Dr. Pan who is a younger guy who works with Parsa Mohebi's at the same clinic. He is legit

May I ask if you can share your experience with Dr. Pan if you went ahead with it?  I’m looking into him (and Dr. Carman) as well—and there is hardly any info on both online, especially Dr. Pan.

Edited by Vesperian