Losing grafts 3 weeks post op?

Hi all

I'm currently 22 days post op and I just noticed a couple of little bloody spots where my newly transplanted hair is. I know that bleeding is a sign of losing grafts but thought that would only be the case for the first 10 days? I noticed the bleeding after appying minoxidil directly along the hairline. I usually massage it in gently and doubt it would cause grafts to come loose. Would like to get others' opinions on this and am hoping they were just where pimples have been popped and not infact grafts coming loose.

Thanks!

20230328_233602.jpg

20230328_233424.jpg

• Administrators

Watch this

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@deane95,

While hair transplant surgery is considered a non-invasive procedure, it still produces minor trauma to the scalp. As a result, the scalp must heal and takes some time to do so.  It only takes about 7 days for the follicular units to take root underneath the surface of the scalp. Therefore, at this stage, you won’t have to worry about losing any grafts.  However, the scalp takes longer to heal and you will likely experience some level of redness, inflammation, perhaps even some minor bleeding, pimples/bumps, etc.

Also keep in mind that all of the Transplanted hair will likely shed between 4 to 6 weeks.

Truth be told, it’s going to take several months for your scalp to fully heal.  Even then, when the newly transplanted hair starts to grow in between 3 to 5 months, you will likely experience pimples and some minor irritation of the scalp while this occurs.

All the above to say, what you seem to be experiencing sounds normal so I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.