At what Month do the hairs really start to thicken?

Hey guys was just wondering at what point did you guys notice your transplant hairs to start thickening and really add into the density? I'm well aware the hairs start to grow between 3-5 months but I was curious at what point does the thickening of those hairs peak at? Thanks!

@Hair4Dummys,

The answer to this question really varies and depends on when growth actually starts for the patient. But on average, I’d say that hair transplant patients typically notice significant growth and density between 6 to 7 months.  Now, every patient is different and so I may experience substantial growth between four and five months, but I would say it’s pretty rare to see substantial growth and density at four months. Five isn’t as rare, but a lot of people only start growing at that rate, although that’s on the higher end of the average side.

As you can see, there is no real firm answer that anyone can really give you in terms of exactly when somebody experiences substantial growth, which is why I can really only give you average estimates in a date range format. And even then, you may very easily fall outside of that range because it’s highly unpredictable and there’s no real way to find out for sure ahead of time where you will fall into these categories.

Long story short, this is why you tell people not to evaluate their final results until between 12 and 18 months. Essentially, 12 months or a year is where it’s pretty safe to suggest you’re seeing the final result however, there are some slow growing patients that may see some additional growth and thickness between 12 to 18 months.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

3 hours ago, StillAlive said:

If you are not using minoxidil, then very roughly, you are looking at Months 6-9 for the greatest visible progress. Might take even longer depending on your physiology and unique characteristics. 

9 - 15 months then for textural changes, thicker hairs etc which look more normal and less brittle...