What do most people do during the awkward stages post-transplant?

I'm going to be having an FUE transplant in about a week and I'm trying to figure out what options are possible for simply being in public during the following year as I wait for the grafts to grow in. Previously I've used hair fibers and worn wigs, but the latter is I'm sure not a good idea after I have grafts in, even after they're rooted, as the only way I can get a wig to to stay and blend invisibly involves glue/hair gel, a blowdryer, and pressure--so like the opposite of what I should be doing after a transplant.

So how can I cover up a bunch of very sparse, noticeable hairs all over my scalp for 6-12 months? Would going back to hair fibers damage the grafts? Is it soft hats only? If I trim all of my hair very very short after 3 months or so, will it not be noticeable? I'm wondering if maybe I can just keep it very close-cut for months and it'll just look progressively better as the grafts start showing. Everyone who knows me would be shocked I have short hair, but at least strangers might not notice...?

Anyway, sorry if this is a dumb question. It's just been hard to seach for this information, as most information about hats and haircuts that I found was just "Here is when you're able to start doing this at all," not "Here's what people do to look at all normal for the year after FUE." 

To be honest, the easiest way forward is to just own it and be up front with everyone about it.

I showed up to remote work meetings 5 days post op and laughing about my new-fangled hairline, telling everyone about the procedure. Nobody even blinked, I got compliments and a couple of guys expressed interest to learn more. 

If you somehow still want to try and hide it, make sure to get short buzzcuts up until Month 4 or so. At that point, you can continue buzzing/fading the sides and back and letting the top grow longer. You can wear hats and bandannas outside after a couple of weeks. If you are terribly self conscious about it all, you can do it like Johnny Depp : 

Wear a hat at all times, with a bandanna underneath. Ratty wig under the hat to give off the impression of long hair in the back optional :D

But really, now that your hair troubles will be -hopefully- over, it's the best of times to turn a new leaf and just own it all. 

• Like 1

@IonNumberFive,

Honestly, you have several options, but this is one that I’ve implemented that I think works pretty well if you can get away with it 

Start wearing a baseball cap a couple months before your procedure. But be sure to take it on and off in front of the people you’ll be seeing most. That way they see you’re wearing a hat simply because you want to or not because you’re trying to conceal anything.

As it gets closer to your hair transplant, start wearing it more and more and people will likely start asking why you’re wearing a hat. That’s when you can take it off and explain that you’re supporting your favorite team or you really like the hard it compliments, your clothes, etc. or whatever but as you take it off, you’re literally showing them that you’re not concealing anything.

By the time you have your hair transplant, everybody should be used to the fact that you’re wearing a hat, and won’t think twice about it.

If you’re worrying about the general public, most strangers not gonna ask you why are you wearing a baseball cap.   most people won’t even notice for those who do notice will draw their own conclusions privately, and keep walking by.

Now, Work is another story. I don’t know what type of job you have, but if you can’t wear a cap during work, and you’re concerned about it, there are other options. The easiest and most effective way of dealing with it at work is to just tell people that you had hair transplant or that you’re having one ahead of time.  Now, I understand most people are avoid telling people, but most people are actually very fascinated by the concepts, and aren’t as judgmental as we make them appear to be in our minds.  I used to be very hush-hush about it, but when I started becoming open about it, you’d be surprised how many people were very surprised, excited and fascinated by the fact that I went from almost completely bald to having a full looking head of hair.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Well Done 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Valued Contributor

You're really only going to need (well, not "need", but want) to cover up for the first 3-4 months. After that things kick off and you'll be looking pretty normal month by month.

You can of course just keep buzzing down through the ugly duckling phase, though how well that will work will depend on how quickly your redness fades.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IonNumberFive said:

I'm going to be having an FUE transplant in about a week and I'm trying to figure out what options are possible for simply being in public during the following year as I wait for the grafts to grow in. Previously I've used hair fibers and worn wigs, but the latter is I'm sure not a good idea after I have grafts in, even after they're rooted, as the only way I can get a wig to to stay and blend invisibly involves glue/hair gel, a blowdryer, and pressure--so like the opposite of what I should be doing after a transplant.

So how can I cover up a bunch of very sparse, noticeable hairs all over my scalp for 6-12 months? Would going back to hair fibers damage the grafts? Is it soft hats only? If I trim all of my hair very very short after 3 months or so, will it not be noticeable? I'm wondering if maybe I can just keep it very close-cut for months and it'll just look progressively better as the grafts start showing. Everyone who knows me would be shocked I have short hair, but at least strangers might not notice...?

Anyway, sorry if this is a dumb question. It's just been hard to seach for this information, as most information about hats and haircuts that I found was just "Here is when you're able to start doing this at all," not "Here's what people do to look at all normal for the year after FUE." 

You can use a concealer, after a few weeks

• Valued Contributor

The best way around this if you are worried about it is to just own it and don’t take your eye off the prize. People by nature are very self focused and absorbed. To quote Oscar Wilde. ‘The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about!’ 
Failing this the next best thing to do is shave your head prior to surgery and where a cap for a while. The same principle that @Rahal Hair Transplant mentioned. All the best!