Advice needed-should I be on Fin/Minoxidil well before a HT?

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. 

Basically, after extensive research I have decided to go for a HT at Eugenix as I have heard they're one of the best for high Norwood cases. I'm a Norwood 6. The only thing is, I have not been on any medication to aid hair loss, such as fin or minoxidil. When I first started losing my hair in my early 20s (15 years ago) I tried it for a few months, but basically just gave up on everything and didn't think it was working (maybe didn't give it a fair chance). Anyway, Eugenix have basically told me I need 5500 grafts, their consultation below;

"Currently, you seem to have Norwood Grade VI of baldness but this may progress in future

The marked area could require: 5500

Proposed Harvest from Scalp: 3500

Proposed Harvest from Beard: 2000"

Now I've read up more and more and basically everyone says you should be on Fin or something similar 6-12 months before considering a HT? Is this true? If so why haven't Eugenix advised me of this? They've said I should take it after the HT which I of course will, but haven't mentioned taking it before hand. They simply enquired if I was already on it, and not that I should start taking it before a HT if I wasn't. The reps seem quite pushy for me to book, not excessively so, but enough where it seems to me they may be more interested in taking my money quickly than the best possible outcome. I do know they are a highly regarded clinic though so I'm surprised this kind of thing wasn't mentioned.

Though I have lost an excessive amount of hair my donor area is very thick, and tbh I'd very surprised if something like these medications would bring any hair back, more like just inhibit further loss. This makes me wonder I really need to wait a year and take Fin first before going for it. 

Many thanks  

• Administrators

Unless you’re a Norwood 6/7 with no hair on your head. Absolutely you should be on medication first. I would recommend being on meds at least 6 months before considering surgery.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

You said you have very thick donor, so there isn't a short term need to improve the donor area before surgery. It can also cause a shed in the first few months, so that could make the amount of grafts taken be less depending on how soon your surgery date is. After surgery you are looking at 30+ year timeline, so it makes sense to get on Finasteride afterwards to prevent any thinning in the future. Someone who has a lower quality donor would be in a different situation where they would be trying to improve the donor first, but that is not you.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

18 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Unless you’re a Norwood 6/7 with no hair on your head. Absolutely you should be on medication first. I would recommend being on meds at least 6 months before considering surgery.

I am a Norwood 6 apparently, as I say my donor hair on the sides and back is very thick but virtually all gone on the top. I've attached a pic. Is fin still recommended for 6-12 months or not worth it? Obviously I'm gonna take it afterwards, but just want to know if I need to postpone my treatment for another year and take it or it effects are likely to be minimal. Thanks for the help. 

hair 13 march.jpg

17 hours ago, BeHappy said:

You said you have very thick donor, so there isn't a short term need to improve the donor area before surgery. It can also cause a shed in the first few months, so that could make the amount of grafts taken be less depending on how soon your surgery date is. After surgery you are looking at 30+ year timeline, so it makes sense to get on Finasteride afterwards to prevent any thinning in the future. Someone who has a lower quality donor would be in a different situation where they would be trying to improve the donor first, but that is not you.

Yeah I'm no doctor but I've always had very thick hair (it's weird I lost most of it), I am of part Mediterranean descent so the hair I do have on the sides appears to still be very thick and almost unmanageable, as it was when I was a kid. They will always take hair from my beard which is thick. So in your opinion there wouldn't be much point in waiting another year or so on Fin? I attached a pic to this post btw. Thanks for the help. 

• Valued Contributor

What did eugenix suggested you abot the medication ? 

You have high grade of baldness bt luckily you have thick donor hairs tht would help you immensely to get good coverage....

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

4 hours ago, Archan said:

What did eugenix suggested you abot the medication ? 

You have high grade of baldness bt luckily you have thick donor hairs tht would help you immensely to get good coverage....

Thanks, my thick donor hair gives me hope because my hair loss is so bad. FueCapillar told me my loss is too much for a HT even. As for Eugenix, they told me it's not compulsory to be on Fin beforehand and can still produce a good result if I'm not, but if I want to, I could try meds for 6 months first and it might help. I'm not sure if I want to wait another 6 months to 1 year but if it would help a lot I would. 

• Valued Contributor

Finasteride would help in maintaining your existing grafts .....bt as you are already nw7 patient so you dont have existing grafts other thn your donor...and generally the donor area is dht resistant so imo evn medicines won't make much of a difference in your particular case...according to my knowledge and experience and understanding finasteride won't make much of a difference in your case right nw...oral minoxidil may help you to make your donor grafts thicker and fuller ..so if you wish to go for a ht thn you cn and thn you cn start your medication ....still you should take the opinion of the surgeon you have chosen for your ht and follow his/her advice as he/she is the one who gonna be responsible for your outcome....

Edited by Archan
  • Thanks 1

--> My Thread

2 hours ago, Archan said:

Finasteride would help in maintaining your existing grafts .....bt as you are already nw7 patient so you dont have existing grafts other thn your donor...and generally the donor area is dht resistant so imo evn medicines won't make much of a difference in your particular case...according to my knowledge and experience and understanding finasteride won't make much of a difference in your case right nw...oral minoxidil may help you to make your donor grafts thicker and fuller ..so if you wish to go for a ht thn you cn and thn you cn start your medication ....still you should take the opinion of the surgeon you have chosen for your ht and follow his/her advice as he/she is the one who gonna be responsible for your outcome....

Thanks yeah thats a big help! It's hard to get to talk to the doctors as they're usually busy and have to talk to reps 

• Valued Contributor

You welcome...yeh you are right its tough to talk to the doctors...bt still its always good to personally talk to the doctor whom you have chosen and take his advice and plan accordingly ....so whoever is the representative of tht particular doctor jst ask him to fix your online consultation with the surgeon once....best of luck and keep updating 

--> My Thread