Did I lose some grafts?

baseballguy

Hey everyone, I had an FUE procedure a little over 4 weeks ago, and from everything I've read, and what my doctor told me, my grafts should be fairly secure at this point. I am currently in the middle of the shedding phase, and so far everything has gone very well and according to schedule. However today, I was massaging the recipient area a bit (lightly with my fingertips) as there was a bit of scabbing or dead skin in the area now that shedding was happening. When I looked there were two tiny blood spots. From what I understand, blood is the indication that a graft has been lost, but it's been over a month, so I thought they should be more secure. I was not picking anything, I was not scratching, I was using my fingertips to gently rub the area and remove loose dead skin and whatever gunk.

I posted two photos I took right after it happened, and a third from about 15 minutes later. When I zoom in on the photos, I still see hair in at least the bottom one, but I wanted to ask others. Did I lose grafts, or is there some possibility that I just re-irritated the wound but without losing the hair? In the pictures I also notice that small scabs seem to have formed again, so that's probably what I was rubbing off, and I might have accidentally ripped two off causing the bleeding, but would that damage the graft? After 15 minutes, the bottom one is no longer bloody and looks like it still has the hair. Also, even if I did lose those two grafts, that's just two of thousands and probably won't look noticeable in the end result, right?

Thanks

blood1.png

blood2.png

blood3.png

You have nothing to worry about!  Those grafts find a blood source and are strongly embedded just days after surgery.  Keep us posted with your progress!

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

@baseballguy,

your scalp is undergoing a significant healing process and as a result, a lot of things will happen. As you have already noted, your transplanted hair will shed And has already started to do so.  However, your recipient area is also very vulnerable because of the trauma due to surgery. As a result, there will be  inflammation, itchiness, flaking, pimples, postoperative redness, etc.  Any and all of these could last an indefinite period of time.  Ironically, there are some lucky individuals who don’t experience most of these and then there are others who experience most if not all of them.

As for what appears in the photos that you presented, everything looks quite normal as far as I can tell.  Do you have a long way to go before the healing period is over I don’t even longer to wait for growth and the final result.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

How have you progressed over the past month?  Looking good?

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.