Advice for Consultation with True and Dorin?

I’m going to True and Dorin for a consultation next week. The consultation is 175, so it’s pretty pricy.

Are there any tips I should keep in mind? Apparently I won’t be able to book a surgery until may even if I like the surgery, which is a real bummer — I want to get this over with ASAP.

Can you negotiate price? How do I know if the hairline they provide is good or not? Is True and Dorin conservative with their approach or not?

Any answers would be much appreciated!

I can’t leave the country, and so I’m relegated to the USA, and I found Dorin’s results the best. Let me know if I’m missing something else in the US that might be better/cheaper. I do live in Manhattan though.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Rc14 said:

Apparently I won’t be able to book a surgery until may even if I like the surgery, which is a real bummer — I want to get this over with ASAP.

They seem to usually be booked about 3 months ahead, so a consultation in Feb and then book a date for May sounds normal for them. Keep in mind that a lot of Drs have a 6 month or more wait time for surgery, so 3 months is short.

9 hours ago, Rc14 said:

Can you negotiate price?

If you are flexible and can do it right away (it sounds like that's what you want) then ask if they have any cancellations or if they do get a cancellation before your scheduled date then they can call you to try to schedule you for it. You may be able to get a lower graft price if a spot opens up that you are able to take. A lower price was offered to me the first time I went if I would have taken a spot coming up the next week, but I wasn't able to as I have to schedule time off from work. That was a few years ago, so I don't know how they work it now.

10 hours ago, Rc14 said:

How do I know if the hairline they provide is good or not? Is True and Dorin conservative with their approach or not?

They are conservative.  Most USA based hair transplant Drs seem to be on the conservative side. I think this is partially based on cost. It's more expensive per graft than some other countries, so they try to get away with less grafts and/or a higher hairline or plan it in stages, so you don't have to put out so much money all at once. It depends a lot on your unique situation such as how much hair loss you have, your age, what your donor area looks like, etc. Dr Dorin usually does hairlines in a zigzag type of pattern that looks crazy when it's drawn on you and even just after you have the HT done and you see the weird hairline, but once it grows it usually looks pretty natural and doesn't have a straight across and/or abrupt wall of a hairline that a lot of places will give you.

10 hours ago, Rc14 said:

do live in Manhattan though

Just a reminder that they just moved their surgical center a few miles out of Manhattan last month. They are now in Garden City NY. It's a much more relaxed area where you don't have to deal with so many people on the street while you are trying to walk to their office.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

5 hours ago, BeHappy said:

They seem to usually be booked about 3 months ahead, so a consultation in Feb and then book a date for May sounds normal for them. Keep in mind that a lot of Drs have a 6 month or more wait time for surgery, so 3 months is short.

If you are flexible and can do it right away (it sounds like that's what you want) then ask if they have any cancellations or if they do get a cancellation before your scheduled date then they can call you to try to schedule you for it. You may be able to get a lower graft price if a spot opens up that you are able to take. A lower price was offered to me the first time I went if I would have taken a spot coming up the next week, but I wasn't able to as I have to schedule time off from work. That was a few years ago, so I don't know how they work it now.

They are conservative.  Most USA based hair transplant Drs seem to be on the conservative side. I think this is partially based on cost. It's more expensive per graft than some other countries, so they try to get away with less grafts and/or a higher hairline or plan it in stages, so you don't have to put out so much money all at once. It depends a lot on your unique situation such as how much hair loss you have, your age, what your donor area looks like, etc. Dr Dorin usually does hairlines in a zigzag type of pattern that looks crazy when it's drawn on you and even just after you have the HT done and you see the weird hairline, but once it grows it usually looks pretty natural and doesn't have a straight across and/or abrupt wall of a hairline that a lot of places will give you.

Just a reminder that they just moved their surgical center a few miles out of Manhattan last month. They are now in Garden City NY. It's a much more relaxed area where you don't have to deal with so many people on the street while you are trying to walk to their office.

Interesting. I didn't know Dr. Dorin moved to Long Island. Is their NYC office gone? Or is he maintaining a presence in Manhattan too?

• 4 weeks later...

Rc14…by now you undoubtedly are aware that the practice is now known as “The Hairloss Doctors” and yes they have relocated…also glad you are impressed with Dr. Dorin’s work…I especially like his hairline designs and his skill with FUE…best wishes!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY