HELP-Tamoxifen/Nolvadex killed my Hair Transplant

hi friends, excuse my english please

i had a transplant on the front, hairline and a few grafts on the crown for  total of 1500, this was 3 years ago

I was very happy with the results, but the problem is that after one year, I changed finasteride brands and for some reason got massive gyno, I was very scared, and bought tamoxifen online(its an cancer threapy endocrine medication)

I took tamoxifen and after 3 weeks the gyno went down 80%, but the 3rd week the majority of my transplanted hair(not the rest of the hair anywhere) both in the hairline and crown fell off! It happened within a few days and i looked pre surgery like, i then stopped taking tamoxifen

My transplanted hair regrew for the first 10 months after this, but then started falling suddnly again and now it's been over a year that it grows for only 3 months and keeps falling.

Please help, the Dr's don't know what to tell me and there is little info online about this

I read that tamoxifen can attach the cells, even the hair cells and maybe it has permanently damaged my transplant, which is in my prone to baldness area and was in the first cycle of growth

What is your opinion?

Sorry no pictures

Also can you tell me if suntanning a lot and being tan causes hairloss?

Thank You!

15 hours ago, Hairagainn said:

I am learning that transplanted hairs are so sensitive and fragile, you can’t even take vitamins or pain medication without damaging them. 

The only thing you can do is do things that strengthen hairs ie finasteride, minoxidil, biotin supplements.

I'm confused. Surely transplanted grafts are just as robust as native hairs?

Why would vitamins damage hairs (and if they do, why recommend Biotin)?

• Moderators

I'm thinking Minoxidil may help lengthen the amount of time that the hair grows.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

This is where bro science off the internet can be a dangerous thing. From day one I would have placed myself under the guidance of a good dermatologist and GP. Who prescribes tamoxifen for your hair? My mother takes this drug since she had cancer. The best thing is to go back to scratch and give your history to a good doctor and dermatologist. Some things actually resolve themselves without our own interference with online meds. Wishing you all the best. 

I'm sorry to hear the challenges you faced so far. It sounds like you been through difficult experience.

Tamoxifen is medication used to treat certain types of breast cancer. It also have side effects that affect hair growth. Though it is not clear why it caused the sudden loss of your transplanted hair. It's possible medication interfered with growth cycle of transplanted hair and caused it to fall.

Regarding sun tanning and hair loss, excessive sun exposure damage hair and scalp, leading hair breakage and thinning. However, sun tanning itself is not a direct cause of hair loss. protect your hair and scalp from the damaging effects of sun exposure, such as wearing a hat or using a hair product with SPF. I hope that this information is helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to reach out! Good luck on your journey