Finasterid 0,5 mg daily - shedding question

KenzoTenma

Hey everyone,

first post here:), I hope you can guide me a little. 

My hair is getting thinner now for about 12 years...and it is nearly always in my mind, so I am thinking about getting a hair transplant, but are not sure if it makes sense or not (will make another post in the Hair Restoration Questions and Answers section with more pictures).

I first noticed my hair line very slowly receding when I was about 23 - 25. I started taking finasteride at 23 (1mg every day) for about 1-2 weeks, if I remember correctly. I stopped it right afterwards due to fear of gynecomastia. My hair line slowly receded further, but my crown and mid were still strong. In the past year my front became thinner, so I started finasterid again, this time 0,5mg daily (at around mid of September). I guess I am now about 4 month in.

I do not have pictures of my crown from before with such short hair, but could it be that the lower density is due to the finasterid and it is slowly getting better? First picture is from about 2 weeks before, the second one is from yesterday. Also and advice in how to keep track, if finasterid works or not? If it does not work, what point would there be in having a hair transplant, right? 😉IMG_7539.thumb.JPG.500bac5a8eaeabbecafa411b7855b1ac.JPG1214876222_WhatsAppImage2023-01-29at14_19_52.thumb.jpeg.be4739152c169fe949db14fb43f83f10.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

Medication is always the first step in treating MPB. If you are only four months in using Finasteride then I highly recommend that you give the drug a good twelve months to see the full benefits. If it stabilizes your hair loss (or even partially helps regrow some hair) then you are in a better position to make a decision on surgery if that is what you are considering. All the best. 

• Like 1

hello Gatsby, many thanks for the fast feedback. Maybe one more question from my site. It seems since I have started finasterid 0,5mg daily, that my mid scalp and crown started to thin out a little. I also got some itches on my skin. Should I be worried or go on and wait a few more month and see what happens. I am a little worried. 

Also does it make sense to already contact doctors about a transplant or should I wait a few more month and see how I am reacting to finasterid? I have heard that Bisanga and Pinto are both booked for the year and sometimes also for 2024, maybe contact them early I guess.

• 10 months later...
  • Valued Contributor

Good doctors have a long wait time for a reason. But you can always put your name down on their short list if someone cancels. Definitely contact doctors but again (and I think they will agree) give the medication a good 12 months before surgery. It could save you on the number of grafts also. If an area is thinning out I would continue with the medication under the watch of a GP. It could be a good sign that hair is being pushed out for new hair to come through. All the best.