adding dutasteride 0.5mg once a week questions

ive been on finasteride 1mg oral for about 6 months, if i add dutasteride 0.5mg once a week, whats the likelihood of experiencing a shed?

also, what percentage (roughly) would this routine inhibit DHT? (fin 6x a week dut 1x a week)

and should i do dut two times a week or just go with one time?

On 1/23/2023 at 10:15 PM, Aftermath said:

I added topical dut 1x per week to my regime and had zero shed. Hair generally feels thicker but it’s shorter so may be down to the length 

how long you use duta once a week?

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, zenmu said:

ive been on finasteride 1mg oral for about 6 months, if i add dutasteride 0.5mg once a week, whats the likelihood of experiencing a shed?

also, what percentage (roughly) would this routine inhibit DHT? (fin 6x a week dut 1x a week)

and should i do dut two times a week or just go with one time?

Did you try this?

On 5/9/2023 at 8:27 AM, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

Did you try this?

i ended up avoiding dutasteride completely. decided it wasn’t worth the potential shed along with other health concerns, instead i am taking a low dose of oral minoxidil for extra gains ig. it makes me feel like im doing more anyways

@zenmu,

There is always a possibility of a hair shed when making a change to your hair loss treatment regimen.  That said, I would also suggest speaking to a physician before adding/upgrading to dutasteride from finasteride.  I’m also under the opinion and belief that if something is working, don’t change it. In other words, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.  So I don’t know the reasons for wanting to add dutasteride to your regimen are, but it’s always wise and advisable to speak to a doctor before adding any prescription medication.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 5/11/2023 at 4:35 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@zenmu,

There is always a possibility of a hair shed when making a change to your hair loss treatment regimen.  That said, I would also suggest speaking to a physician before adding/upgrading to dutasteride from finasteride.  I’m also under the opinion and belief that if something is working, don’t change it. In other words, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.  So I don’t know the reasons for wanting to add dutasteride to your regimen are, but it’s always wise and advisable to speak to a doctor before adding any prescription medication.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Well, in my case finasteride has lost its effectiveness after 15 years, even earlier, so I am thinking taking the dutasteride route.