What are some good questions to ask a hair transplant surgeon during consultation?

I have a consultation with Bisanga next month and was wondering what questions I should ask him during the consultation.

Below I've made a list of what I would want to ask him and I'd be interested in seeing what you guys could add.

• If I have DUPA, how long will the transplant last?
  • If I have DUPA, would FUT be better for me?
  • Could PRP help with DUPA?
  • Who exactly will do the transplant? And are they licenced?                                                              
  • Is the main doctor involved in surgery? If so, during what stages?
  • Do I need to stop using minoxidil before the transplant? If so, for how long?
  • Will I be able to have some of my temples restored?
  • Approximately what norwood will I be after surgery?
  • How long will it take to see results?
  • How much will it cost including the 21% tax? Any other costs involved, such as costs associated with medicine?
  • Any finance options available?
  • Any before/after pictures including photos of donor area with scarring?

@TheDarkHour,

before I respond to your question with some of my thoughts on the additional questions you could ask during your consult, I thought I would offer my input on the first couple questions you scripted.

because your first couple questions seem to revolve around DUPA, I am assuming that you’ve been diagnosed with this?

My concern is, that most people with this condition are not good candidate for surgical hair restoration because there is no stable, permanent donor area safe zone.  Those with DUPA typucally lose hair all over the sides and back of their scalp in addition to the top.

Essentially, this means that any hair taken from the donor area may fall out even after transplantation because of the principle known as donor dominance.  This principle works in your favor if you possess androgenetic alopecia or genetic hair loss but against you if you possess DUPA.

so just keep these things in mind as you are researching hair transplant surgery. Now, I’ve also provided some questions our clinic feels is important during consults

Consult questions to ask prospective doctors

Below was a list of questions that our clinic feels is important for prospective patients to ask prior to undergoing FUEsurgery.  I've also provided information about each question and what you ultimately should be looking for.

1. Do they specialize (only do) hair transplants?  Doctors who specialize in hair transplantation have more skill and experience which provides their patients with a more natural looking and dense head of hair.

2. Do they only do fue? Vs. strip?  Doctors who only do the occasional FUE procedure or mix it with strip are doing fewer FUE procedures and thus, aren't as experienced.

3. Do they specialize in hairlines? Those who specialize in hairlines can create the most natural looking hairlines.

4. Do they use small punch sizes smaller than 1mm for all types of grafts?  Using larger punches can cause more damage to the donor area, making scarring more visible and can make it so less donor hair is available for transplanting.  Some doctors will argue that larger punches cause less damage to the grafts but doctors with more experience and skill won't cause any damage to the grafts using smaller punches as well.

5. Do they offer every type of fue (manual, motorized)?  Most doctors use the device/tool they are most comfortable with for every FUE procedure.  However, all patients are different and one approach isn't always best for everyone.  It's important to select a physician who adapts their technique and uses various devices depending on the patients needs rather than what's easiest for the doctor.

6. Do they inspect each graft under magnification?  Many surgeons claim to have a transection rate of less than 5%?  But how many of them really evaluate this?  Inspecting each graft under magnification during surgery is the only way a surgeon can truly measure transection rates and the truth is, very few clinics are doing this.  Many who report low transection rates are basing this off of a single experiment from one patient rather than ongoing data analysis based on the average of many patients.  Thus, it's always better to select a surgeon who inspects each graft prior to implantation and actually quantifies transection rates.

7. Do they store the grafts in hypothermosol solution? We use for heart transplant)? Most surgeons use a basic saline (salt and water) solution to store grafts while they are outside of the body.  Hypothermosol is a more advanced solution that preserves hair cells and tissue longer and is the same solution used in more advanced organ transplants such as the heart and liver.

8. Do they use 5x magnification when implanting?  Using magnification while implanting is important in order for the doctor and technicians to adequately see what they are doing.  This reduces the possibility of damage to the follicles.  Most clinics will use some kind of magnification, but using 5X magnification is considered optimal.

6. Do they use a “no touch technique” for implantation? (we use KEEP to implant).   Typically, technicians use forceps to place grafts into recipient sites however, grafts can easily be squeezed or crushed, causing irreparable damage.  "No touch" devices such as the K.E.E.P. (Koray Erdogan Embedding Placer) were developed to eliminate damage during implantation and thus, it's important to consider this when selecting a physician to perform your procedure.

7. Have they performed strip before or have they only ever performed FUE?  Doctors who used to specialize in strip are typically more versatile and understand the need to inspect grafts after extraction, use high magnification during implantation and customize a hair transplant based on an individual's needs rather than using a "one size fits all" approach.

-----

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

3 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@TheDarkHour,

before I respond to your question with some of my thoughts on the additional questions you could ask during your consult, I thought I would offer my input on the first couple questions you scripted.

because your first couple questions seem to revolve around DUPA, I am assuming that you’ve been diagnosed with this?

My concern is, that most people with this condition are not good candidate for surgical hair restoration because there is no stable, permanent donor area safe zone.  Those with DUPA typucally lose hair all over the sides and back of their scalp in addition to the top.

Essentially, this means that any hair taken from the donor area may fall out even after transplantation because of the principle known as donor dominance.  This principle works in your favor if you possess androgenetic alopecia or genetic hair loss but against you if you possess DUPA.

so just keep these things in mind as you are researching hair transplant surgery. Now, I’ve also provided some questions our clinic feels is important during consults

Consult questions to ask prospective doctors

Below was a list of questions that our clinic feels is important for prospective patients to ask prior to undergoing FUEsurgery.  I've also provided information about each question and what you ultimately should be looking for.

1. Do they specialize (only do) hair transplants?  Doctors who specialize in hair transplantation have more skill and experience which provides their patients with a more natural looking and dense head of hair.

2. Do they only do fue? Vs. strip?  Doctors who only do the occasional FUE procedure or mix it with strip are doing fewer FUE procedures and thus, aren't as experienced.

3. Do they specialize in hairlines? Those who specialize in hairlines can create the most natural looking hairlines.

4. Do they use small punch sizes smaller than 1mm for all types of grafts?  Using larger punches can cause more damage to the donor area, making scarring more visible and can make it so less donor hair is available for transplanting.  Some doctors will argue that larger punches cause less damage to the grafts but doctors with more experience and skill won't cause any damage to the grafts using smaller punches as well.

5. Do they offer every type of fue (manual, motorized)?  Most doctors use the device/tool they are most comfortable with for every FUE procedure.  However, all patients are different and one approach isn't always best for everyone.  It's important to select a physician who adapts their technique and uses various devices depending on the patients needs rather than what's easiest for the doctor.

6. Do they inspect each graft under magnification?  Many surgeons claim to have a transection rate of less than 5%?  But how many of them really evaluate this?  Inspecting each graft under magnification during surgery is the only way a surgeon can truly measure transection rates and the truth is, very few clinics are doing this.  Many who report low transection rates are basing this off of a single experiment from one patient rather than ongoing data analysis based on the average of many patients.  Thus, it's always better to select a surgeon who inspects each graft prior to implantation and actually quantifies transection rates.

7. Do they store the grafts in hypothermosol solution? We use for heart transplant)? Most surgeons use a basic saline (salt and water) solution to store grafts while they are outside of the body.  Hypothermosol is a more advanced solution that preserves hair cells and tissue longer and is the same solution used in more advanced organ transplants such as the heart and liver.

8. Do they use 5x magnification when implanting?  Using magnification while implanting is important in order for the doctor and technicians to adequately see what they are doing.  This reduces the possibility of damage to the follicles.  Most clinics will use some kind of magnification, but using 5X magnification is considered optimal.

6. Do they use a “no touch technique” for implantation? (we use KEEP to implant).   Typically, technicians use forceps to place grafts into recipient sites however, grafts can easily be squeezed or crushed, causing irreparable damage.  "No touch" devices such as the K.E.E.P. (Koray Erdogan Embedding Placer) were developed to eliminate damage during implantation and thus, it's important to consider this when selecting a physician to perform your procedure.

7. Have they performed strip before or have they only ever performed FUE?  Doctors who used to specialize in strip are typically more versatile and understand the need to inspect grafts after extraction, use high magnification during implantation and customize a hair transplant based on an individual's needs rather than using a "one size fits all" approach.

-----

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks for your additional questions Rahal.

I have not been diagnosed with DUPA which is why partly why I am having an in-person consultation since my donor area seems to have a slight moth eaten appearance when it is really short. My father and mother's side still have their donor area so I don't think I would lose the entire area, just that it might diffuse a bit. Also, since I most likely have androgenic alopecia could that means that I don't have DUPA? I thought you could have both.

20211115_012622.thumb.jpg.acbfb8b0149966ac5dfe3d5c4f02e054.jpg20210825_021806_083.thumb.jpg.054e571f577df5279778bdeb49e674d0.jpg

Edited by TheDarkHour

I can answer your first question. If you have dupa the transplant will take no time at all because Bisanga probably wouldn't take you on as a patient.

In terms of questions I would ask how many total grafts your donor holds so you can plan for future procedures. I haven't seen your hair/know your age etc so not sure the current extent of loss but it's important to remember you are likely to need further procedures down the line so these must be planned for. Bisanga is thorough so I imagine he would talk you through that

Edited by Johnny129
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The biggest question is “what are my options if my HT fails.” No surgery is ever guaranteed, but a good surgeon stands by their work. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.