Minoxidil Side effects

stephcurry30

Good morning,

I have been on oral minoxidil since April 1st 2022. Started off with 1.25 mg daily and increased to 2.5 mg daily around august. Although I don't have any systemic side effects, I've noticed my skin get substantially worse and severe dark circles under my eyes to the point where they look like black eyes. 

I've read numerous studies about minoxidil stopping collagen and causing aging and worsening skin. Has anyone else noticed these effects like on oral minoxidil.? 

I've bene on finasteride and dutasitirde for 8 and 7 years respectively and I'm worried about quitting minoxidil. What it will do to my hair whether it will cause a massive shed and lose my hairs. I am also schedule for a surgery in August of 2023 for my hairline as I am a Norwood 2. 

I think I might lower my minoxidil dosage back down to 1.25 mg daily and then maybe make a decision and see if there is any changes to my skin/eyes over the next few weeks. 

Any advise on stopping oral minoxidil would greatly be appreciated! 

51 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

Good morning,

I have been on oral minoxidil since April 1st 2022. Started off with 1.25 mg daily and increased to 2.5 mg daily around august. Although I don't have any systemic side effects, I've noticed my skin get substantially worse and severe dark circles under my eyes to the point where they look like black eyes. 

I've read numerous studies about minoxidil stopping collagen and causing aging and worsening skin. Has anyone else noticed these effects like on oral minoxidil.? 

I've bene on finasteride and dutasitirde for 8 and 7 years respectively and I'm worried about quitting minoxidil. What it will do to my hair whether it will cause a massive shed and lose my hairs. I am also schedule for a surgery in August of 2023 for my hairline as I am a Norwood 2. 

I think I might lower my minoxidil dosage back down to 1.25 mg daily and then maybe make a decision and see if there is any changes to my skin/eyes over the next few weeks. 

Any advise on stopping oral minoxidil would greatly be appreciated! 

sorry to hear about your situation, the Fin & Dut not enough anymore? would have thought those two combined would have you in good nick

13 minutes ago, samz_033 said:

I have noticed dark under eye circles since I started using topical minoxidil. Dark under eye cycles seems to be a known side effect 😭

I know. it makes me look old and tired. 

3 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

sorry to hear about your situation, the Fin & Dut not enough anymore? would have thought those two combined would have you in good nick

All good. So Finasteride and dutasitirde have both helped me stop any further heir loss. Got on finasteride at age 21/22 and on dutasitirde at age 22/23. Since then I have stayed a Norwood 2. I jumped on oral minoxidil because of all of the fuss online and thought maybe added it may give me some insane regrowth that would help eliminate the need of a hair transplant. But since jumping on it, I've seen no difference between being on oral minoxidil. That being said I'm wondering if it's safe to jump off of it without expecting a huge shed before my hair transplant in August. 

I would also document whether or not oral minoxidil is the cause of my dark circles and awful skin at the moment. I'm probably going to lower dosage to 1.25 mg and try and live a healthier lifestyle and see if that sorts everything out in the next few months. If not, i'll probably stay on 1.25 mg of oral minoxidil until my surgery and maybe taper off of it slowly there after. 

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts, advice, or experience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephcurry30 said:

I know. it makes me look old and tired. 

All good. So Finasteride and dutasitirde have both helped me stop any further heir loss. Got on finasteride at age 21/22 and on dutasitirde at age 22/23. Since then I have stayed a Norwood 2. I jumped on oral minoxidil because of all of the fuss online and thought maybe added it may give me some insane regrowth that would help eliminate the need of a hair transplant. But since jumping on it, I've seen no difference between being on oral minoxidil. That being said I'm wondering if it's safe to jump off of it without expecting a huge shed before my hair transplant in August. 

I would also document whether or not oral minoxidil is the cause of my dark circles and awful skin at the moment. I'm probably going to lower dosage to 1.25 mg and try and live a healthier lifestyle and see if that sorts everything out in the next few months. If not, i'll probably stay on 1.25 mg of oral minoxidil until my surgery and maybe taper off of it slowly there after. 

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts, advice, or experience. 

some of the more experienced gents on here will comment to confirm but if the Fin & Dut were doing their job I would defo drop the oral Min but that supposedly causes a shed 😞… where are you having your HT done if you don’t mind me asking? 

• Like 1

Also just watched a Kevin Mann video titled: "Does Minoxidil cause skin aging?". A summary of the video can be seen at 19:20. Where Kevin Mann says that "Bottom line, while skin health is important hair health is more important (for looking as youthful as possible) and even if you disagree there is no good evidence that states minoxidil causes skin aging and that there's actually antidotal evidence that minoxidil is good for skin health (produces more elastin)."

I trust Kevin Mann he was one of the youtubers that made me jump on finasteride in the first place, so I'll probably lower dosage change my life style and update this thread in the near future to see if anything changes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Rome said:

some of the more experienced gents on here will comment to confirm but if the Fin & Dut were doing their job I would defo drop the oral Min but that supposedly causes a shed 😞… where are you having your HT done if you don’t mind me asking? 

That is exactly why I am thinking about staying on it. I know you're NOT supposed to go get a surgery if you are hair shedding and stopping a medication 8 months prior my cause a massive shed. 

I'm having my hair transplant with Konior in the fall. I am looking forward to finally getting a straight/straighter hairline. I've ben saving money for years to visit the best and defiantly want to have this one and done procedure unless my hair loss continues which I doubt because of fin and dut. Might also add in topical finasteride/dutasitirde like xyon to destroy more DHT in the scalp. Also maybe increase my dutasitirde dosage from 0.5 mg to 2.5 mg to destroy as much DHT as possible. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

That is exactly why I am thinking about staying on it. I know you're NOT supposed to go get a surgery if you are hair shedding and stopping a medication 8 months prior my cause a massive shed. 

I'm having my hair transplant with Konior in the fall. I am looking forward to finally getting a straight/straighter hairline. I've ben saving money for years to visit the best and defiantly want to have this one and done procedure unless my hair loss continues which I doubt because of fin and dut. Might also add in topical finasteride/dutasitirde like xyon to destroy more DHT in the scalp. Also maybe increase my dutasitirde dosage from 0.5 mg to 2.5 mg to destroy as much DHT as possible. 

Curious if you had the dark circles/skin aging on topical min.

I got dark circles around my eyes and definitely had worse skin on topical minoxidil when I compare older pictures. I stopped topical minoxidil and my skin eventually recovered after several months. I got little to no improvement from topical minoxidil but still had a big shed and lost a lot of hair for 7-8 months after stopping. I started oral minoxidil about 6 months and have none of the side affects from topical minoxidil but more hair.

You should also be on a skincare routine if you’re not already. The 2 most important skincare products for anti-aging are prescription strength Tretinoin and sunscreen. Tretinoin is the only medication proven to increase collagen production and sun exposure is a lot more damaging to skin than minoxidil.

Edited by Tiger2050

• Administrators

I believe the collagen issues were found with the topical. You're on oral minoxidil. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

45 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

Curious if you had the dark circles/skin aging on topical min.

I tried topical minoxidil once and I don't recall unfortunately if I got dark eye circles. :(

43 minutes ago, Tiger2050 said:

I got dark circles around my eyes and definitely had worse skin on topical minoxidil when I compare older pictures. I stopped topical minoxidil and my skin eventually recovered after several months. I got little to no improvement from topical minoxidil but still had a big shed and lost a lot of hair for 7-8 months after stopping. I started oral minoxidil at 5mg/day about 6 months and have none of the side affects from topical minoxidil but more hair.

You should also be on a skincare routine if you’re not already. The 2 most important skincare products for anti-aging are prescription strength Tretinoin and sunscreen. Tretinoin is the only medication proven to increase collagen production and sun exposure is far more damaging to skin than minoxidil.

Interesting. Yeah tried topical minoxidil and unfortunately didn't notice any regrowth so is topped after 6 months. Don't recall if I got dark circles. 

As for the skin care I have been on one for roughly 3-5 years. Using 0.05% tret as well as sub screen. I wonder if maybe it's of work stress and diet. 

14 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I believe the collagen issues were found with the topical. You're on oral minoxidil. 

Correct! I am on oral. Are you saying that oral minoxidil doesn't have the same side effects as topical minoxidil? 

Hey man so I switched to oral minoxidil I think 2 weeks ago. I just went straight into 5mg and I definitely developed puffy and dark eyes (the puffiness I wasn’t sure if it was the hair transplant but as the days went by I knew it was the minoxidil) I have quite good skin so it was alarming to see the dark under eyes and people around me also told me u look like you have swelling. I thought Il stay on it to see if this changes and luckily in the last few days it has minimised. I would say keep it at for a couple of weeks to see if your body adjusts then you can make a decision accordingly. I know what you mean about being scared to drop it though it’s a tough decision with the looming danger of a shed

• Like 1

My hair transplant Journey with Dr. Freitas