Just Had HT

TrOpiC00

Hi, I just had a hair transplant a few weeks ago from Shapiro Medical. I must say that I am dissapointed to say the least. I am 25 now and was hoping to get rid of this v pattern hairline that's been with me for about 5 years now. I'll admit, I've made some mistakes in my life, taking steroids and what not, but I didn't think I would lose much hair since some people in my family only have recession in frontal temple zones while others including my dad have a full hairline. I inherited the classic v-pattern hair loss everyone else did I guess. Anyhow, I was hoping to get my youth back and round my hairline out once again. Instead I am left here with the same hairline just filled in on the sides a little. My friends saw me a few days after the procedure and laughed a little saying they couldnt tell the difference. Either can I. I came to get a hair transplant to restore my hairline, not make it look so I am starting to lose hair again. It's crazy how many people you see with straight hairlines on TV and around you, yet its not normal somehow to these doctors. (and by straight I don't mean straight exactly) Anyhow, I'm tired with my life. All I do is wear a hat around everywhere I go. It's like being in a prison. I'm supposed to graduate in a few weeks from college. I was hoping to make a good first impression in interviews and in the workplace, but it doesnt look like that is going to happen now. I can't imagine how anyone can live this way, I know I can't.

Best of luck to everyone else,

Sincerely,

Chris

Hi, I just had a hair transplant a few weeks ago from Shapiro Medical. I must say that I am dissapointed to say the least. I am 25 now and was hoping to get rid of this v pattern hairline that's been with me for about 5 years now. I'll admit, I've made some mistakes in my life, taking steroids and what not, but I didn't think I would lose much hair since some people in my family only have recession in frontal temple zones while others including my dad have a full hairline. I inherited the classic v-pattern hair loss everyone else did I guess. Anyhow, I was hoping to get my youth back and round my hairline out once again. Instead I am left here with the same hairline just filled in on the sides a little. My friends saw me a few days after the procedure and laughed a little saying they couldnt tell the difference. Either can I. I came to get a hair transplant to restore my hairline, not make it look so I am starting to lose hair again. It's crazy how many people you see with straight hairlines on TV and around you, yet its not normal somehow to these doctors. (and by straight I don't mean straight exactly) Anyhow, I'm tired with my life. All I do is wear a hat around everywhere I go. It's like being in a prison. I'm supposed to graduate in a few weeks from college. I was hoping to make a good first impression in interviews and in the workplace, but it doesnt look like that is going to happen now. I can't imagine how anyone can live this way, I know I can't.

Best of luck to everyone else,

Sincerely,

Chris

Sounds like post op depression to me...

TrOpic00,

Of course it doesn't look much different.. It's only been a few weeks.

Where do you expect to be after only a few weeks. It takes time for everything to grow out, and up to a year to see the final results.

If they filled in your temple area, then your hairline isn't high at all.

As for a straight hairline, I don't think you are being honest and truthful to yourself. Personally, about 10% of the people I know have the "straight hairline" you are referring to. That means 90% do not.

I think you really need to re-evaluate what your realistic expectation is, and look out into the open world of the not straight hairlines.

You'll be fine in the end, and noone will notice.. You may even look back and say to yourself, what the heck was I bothered by.

Definately post op depression for a first timer not knowing what to expect. By week 2-4 all the hair falls out (most of the time) and takes 3 months to start regrowing.

Just forget about the HT until around the 4th month then watch the new growth come in.

As far as your hairline design-- it is also up to the patient to tell the surgeon their expectations and desires for hairlines. I personally know Dr. Shapiro creates all types of hairlines, some want a "V" natural mature look, others want a Widows peak for example and all look natural. I would guarentee that once your regrowth occurs that your hairline will look natural even in the "V" shape.

That said, there also could have been limitations regarding your Donor and/or the amount of FU you could afford.

Did Dr. Shapiro or Dr. Rose do your HT? And how many FU did you get. Not seeing your pics, but knowing what a traditional "V" MPB pattern looks like, I would say that 2500 FU would be needed to just in the hairline to take a "V" to a "curve" patern. (and that is not addressing the midscalp or frontal core area)

Dr. Shapiro is one of the best and has trained or been associated with many surgeons in the industry recommended on this site.

Finally, after around 8 months, if your not happy-- go back to Dr. Shapiro --he is a very understanding and experience surgeon to consult on further options avaialable to you. Best of luck

I talked and sent an e-mail to TropiCoo after I learned he was disapointed and worried. He is bothered by the V shape and I was trying to balance being conservative with a young person[25yo] with safely meeting his expectations. It was a little more difficult becauses he has a lower than normal frontal tuft/widows peak so to flattent the hairline alot would mean coming out fairly aggressivel in the cornors. I thought we were on the same page before we started but apparently he felt I was going to be slightly more agressive and I apologise to him for this gap in communication. I do think that the results will look good and that we can fine tune the shape after this grow out if he is still not satisfied. It may take a slight increased bringing out of the angle with a slight removal of the abnormally low widows peak. I have to keep in mind his young age but I will follow him through this and try to get him were he wants if it is safe and possible.

He gave me permission to post his pre and post op photo and I thought it would be helpful if he and I got feed back on what was thought about the hairline work. I always want to know if I can improve on things. I think for his age that this was pretty apropriate. We did 1800 Fu in the temporal recessions which created a density of about 50+ in this area.

I would apreciate any feed back The photo are below...If they do not post I will re post and put them in a photo album thread that you can see

Slide2.jpg

Slide1.jpg

Take care

Ron Shapiro

Tropic00,

After looking at your before/after pics-- I'm 100% confident that your just post op depressed-- Remember that the hair that falls out dormant the first 14 days will grow back in 12 weeks.

Your going to love the outcome once your hair grows out. I think Dr. Shapiro did an awesome job with the balance of your face in relation to the framing of the hairline. YOu have a very NATURAL look that will be perfect the rest of your life. You got a lot of density that will look great. Also the way you had your temples closed into the hairline and sideburns looks great. If you had a lower hairline any further the temple closure would not look normal as it does in your after pics. I think the HT you got looks awesome, and personally I would not change a thing.

Save your donor for future thinning in your mid scalp/frontal core and crown.

In 12 months you are going to look like you have a full head of hair.

Hang in there and dont let the post op blues get to you. I know of many people who wish they could have had half the results you got.

Give it 12 months and for some odd reason that it is still bothering you, go back to Shapiro for future work-- But I caution you not to lower the hairline very much more because it will not look natural-- (sometimes when the hairline is too low ,it looks like a wig or hairclub for men).

Best of luck and enjoy the growth-- YOU GOT A AWESOME HT>

By the way, I guarentee you that you will make an impression in interviews and be a huge success in the workplace. You determine your success and I have no doubt with a positive attitude that you will conquer all the challenges and goals that you take on. Good luck with your career as well. Shoot for the stars!!!!

Thanks for the pics Torpic00 and Dr. Shapiro!

Heck, I don't even think I would have had a procedure done if I were you, tropic00. Trade ya scalps!

The oly thing that I see that I don't like from appearance is the squaring of the temples, which doesn't look to blend correctly, visually with the lower part of the area. Almost like an upside down spade.

It could just be that it's just because of the fresh post-op pics.

But, man.. That's minumal, compared to the awesome hairline!!

Tropic00, man what I wouldn't give for that head of hair!! I hope you can realize just how outstanding it looks.

Good Luck buddy, and I am glad to see Dr. Shapiro is concerned about his patients best interests!

If you like, I can also drive down to Troy, and take my hat off for ya. I'm only a few years older. Bet you'd think differently then!

Tropic-

You're a smart guy reflected by your choice of Shapiro. Dr S coming on here and stating he will get you where you want to be if safe and possible speaks volumes about his credibility and integrity. This is the kind of guy you want helping you make decisions about how you look the REST of your life.

Ok, since no one else said it, I will. Just how much research did you put into HT's thinking in 5 weeks your going to look like David Bowie? Maybe you should have given some thought prior to surgery about growing your hair out so you could cover your grafts while they heal. When I was an officer in the Army I was taught prior planning prevents poor performance. It appears to me you did not give much thought, if any, on how you would deal with your HT post-op. I know Dr. Shapiro's office covers these aspects of HT's because they were covered with me.

Hello everyone again. First off, I would like to thank Dr. Shapiro and his wonderful staff for the work that they have done on my hairline. I am confident that the work that they did will turn out great. Dr Shapiro is a great guy. He has personally responded on this board, through e-mail, and through telephone, which shows he is very concerned with each of his patients. I chose him because I knew he was the best in my eyes, and he is.

I've been researching HT surgery for about 5 years, meeting with several doctors and clinics along the way. I knew that after the surgery, I would lose hair from both the surgery and perhaps shock loss. I was never concerned with that really, knowing it would mostly grow back in time. I was more concerned with just rounding out my hairline. It was more or less a miscommunication on my part, and, for that I am sorry. With that being said, I am very happy with the work that was done, and would definately go back to Shapiro Medical if given the choice.

On that note, thank you to everyone who responded on this post. I appreciated your comments and want to thank you all for the encouragement that you have given me.

I will keep you all posted on my recovery! Take care!

Chris

I also think the hairline looks fine. But If I was 25, I would be more concerned with all of the area the doc didn't touch. You most likely will lose much more and will have to fill in behind your new hairline.

Wow TrOpiCOO, I just read my prior post to you and I came off kind of harsh. Sorry. That wasn't my goal. I guess it's not always easy conveying to a Dr. what you want your finished results to look like and then the disappointment that occurs when you feel your goals are not met. I think you are going to look outstanding. Just give it time. You went to one of the best HT docs out there. Your HT results will not scream HT. Get on meds if your not already. Remember, your only 25. You may very well lose more hair as you age. Dr. Shapiro is taking this possibility into account. Good luck and I hope to hear from a more satisified you in about 6 months. Regards.