Donor area, can I get a haircut ?

Hello to everyone. I am currently 1 month after my Hairline transplant, which required 2300 grafts. My donor area looks like on the pictures, it’s still itchy from time to time and I feel it’s a bit sensitive still. One concern I have is does it look overharvested ? Or am I worrying to much at 1 month mark?  The Worries come from all people telling, that after 2 weeks the donor area should be completely fine and healed. Would be very sad if it’s stays like this, hopefully I will be able to rock short back and sides again 🥹… My main question is can I get a haircut in the back of my head so it doesn’t look this uneven, and people constantly asking me why the half of my back is full and the other looks like the barber was drunk 😅 this makes me feel insecure every time.

would be pleased for any help. Thanks 😊 

PS: I now I could ask the patient follow up by my clinic, but their answer was: „don’t worry it’s fine, just wait“ , so I thought I will ask other people too, because it’s easy to say don’t worry 😅 if ykwim…

988E9BC6-5E14-4A28-9EB5-6E04D5EF0C7A.png

98FC05CF-E0E4-4BD6-B543-5F888782C05E.png

00C6DFFA-4E92-44DE-9C90-649C874DF51A.png

A fade would be the way to go.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

18 hours ago, ray35 said:

Yeah no problem getting a hair cut in the donor area... just where the grafts have been placed they typically suggest refraining from fussing with that area. 

Thank you 🙏 so I decided to go to barbershop in couple days, do you think my donor area will look undetectable after a couple more months? 

Ahhh YES, definitely go get a haircut. A nice, low fade would be ideal... Or anything to even it out. That's gonna make you feel way better and more confident about it, and will give you a more accurate depiction of how things are healing. 

Also, don't be surprised if it takes a few months before the donor evens itself back out. While it technically heals pretty fast, it can still take a few months for the density to start to look more even - particularly if there's any temporary shock loss in that area. Mine got increasingly better over the first 8 months or so after my HT

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

56 minutes ago, pkipling said:

Ahhh YES, definitely go get a haircut. A nice, low fade would be ideal... Or anything to even it out. That's gonna make you feel way better and more confident about it, and will give you a more accurate depiction of how things are healing. 

Also, don't be surprised if it takes a few months before the donor evens itself back out. While it technically heals pretty fast, it can still take a few months for the density to start to look more even - particularly if there's any temporary shock loss in that area. Mine got increasingly better over the first 8 months or so after my HT

Oh thank you so much. Now I’m sure I go for a haircut the following days, I was afraid if it’s makes the situation even worse if I get one. And it doesn’t look even and dense and I think it’s a common concern because nobody would like to have a bad looking donor area, we all of course want a good result with minimum harm. I hope after a couple months, if I get a nice low fade atm it won’t be noticeable anymore I had a Hauttransplantation, at least for the donor side, the Recipient will take more time for sure :) 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NikosHair said:

One word of caution, get the barber to use a higher guard initially to evaluate how the scarring looks. You can always cut more hair off. 

Actually I was thinking the same way, glad you mentioned it ! Thank you very much :D