Hairline - Pekiner or Freitas?

What's your opinion guys? I have been quoted from both around 3k grafts - to restore hairline, frontal and mid-scalp area (NW3). The price is a little bit in favour of Pekiner, but the difference is not major (2.7 to 3€). I can deal with that. Pekiner does all steps himself, while Freitas uses his techs for some. It's not a big deal as well, since with his reputation it must be his trusted team rather then nonamed, random people. There are those voices here and there, that the results Freitas produces are mostly with thick hair of Spaniards and that's why it looks so good on his Instagram. Any advices?

22 minutes ago, FUEUF said:

What's your opinion guys? I have been quoted from both around 3k grafts - to restore hairline, frontal and mid-scalp area (NW3). The price is a little bit in favour of Pekiner, but the difference is not major (2.7 to 3€). I can deal with that. Pekiner does all steps himself, while Freitas uses his techs for some. It's not a big deal as well, since with his reputation it must be his trusted team rather then nonamed, random people. There are those voices here and there, that the results Freitas produces are mostly with thick hair of Spaniards and that's why it looks so good on his Instagram. Any advices?

Tough one. I kind of thought about both but I’d prefer the doctor performing most of the procedure to be honest.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

Former. not only is he a bit less, but he works on one patient per day and controls the whole procedure. the later has multiple procedures going on, sure there are some home runs, but how many strikes are there who knows. 

Interesting. Didn’t know he did many patients. Yes Pekiner is super involved which I like. Are most of those clinics becoming less involved? Didn’t Lorenzo begin to handoff to techs as well?

• Like 1

They are two excellent surgeons, but as someone said above, the fact that Pekiner performs the whole procedure by himself, only one patient a day, more, lower price, would make me choose him.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I’ve seen some great results from Pekiner, but very few surgeons have the portfolio like Dr. De Freitas, in my opinion, he’s on another level.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’ve seen some great results from Pekiner, but very few surgeons have the portfolio like Dr. De Freitas, in my opinion, he’s on another level.

Yes, but many excellent results from De Freitas presented by the clinic, few from real patients here, among other things just a recent one from @ObtuseAlbatross133  si not doing very well.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, ITA said:

Yes, but many excellent results from De Freitas presented by the clinic, few from real patients here, among other things just a recent one from @ObtuseAlbatross133  si not doing very well.

There are many more cases posted on the Spanish forum. There’s also a very poor case from Dr. Pekiner from a Russian patient. Poor cases happen with all surgeons. I would consider Dr. De Freitas top 5 in all of Europe based on his results. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

27 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

There are many more cases posted on the Spanish forum

Yes, indeed, but I wrote "here" on this forum, I don't look at other forums, I don't trust them.

1 hour ago, ITA said:

Yes, indeed, but I wrote "here" on this forum, I don't look at other forums, I don't trust them.

Check out recuperarelpelo it has real patients submitting results month by month just like this forum, you would be doing yourself an injustice if you are looking to go to a Spanish doctor and did not research on the Spanish forum. 

My hair transplant Journey with Dr. Freitas

17 minutes ago, drawdownfx said:

Check out recuperarelpelo it has real patients submitting results month by month just like this forum, you would be doing yourself an injustice if you are looking to go to a Spanish doctor and did not research on the Spanish forum. 

I'm not saying that De Freitas is not a good surgeon (read my first post on this thread), I just said that here there most cases are published by the clinic, also I know European forums well, they don't easily resist the money they the clinics offer to stay there, and above all to delete the threads of disgruntled patients, which is not the case here.  In any case, De Freitas is an excellent surgeon, I know.

• Well Done 1

Both surgeons are great. But I would prefer dr Pekiner since he is doing the whole procedure by himself and taking one patient per day and also his results are awesome  

But in Spain Freitas and couto are the best. I don’t like Lorenzo results and he is doing multiple surgeries a day, so I would not suggest anyone to select dr Lorenzo in Spain

Edited by Jackdaniels
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 7:45 PM, FUEUF said:

So both top notch surgeons are basically offering 1 euro or less per graft? Not a bad deal!

On 12/7/2022 at 2:19 PM, shiba1985 said:

Former. not only is he a bit less, but he works on one patient per day and controls the whole procedure. the later has multiple procedures going on, sure there are some home runs, but how many strikes are there who knows. 

Excellent point. These Spanish surgeons (looking at you Lorenzo with your 4 per day), are scaling their practices and it’s not to benefit the patients. Even if a surgeon has a 50% failure rate yet performs multiple surgeries per day, they will still have cases to showcase 

1 hour ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Excellent point. These Spanish surgeons (looking at you Lorenzo with your 4 per day), are scaling their practices and it’s not to benefit the patients. Even if a surgeon has a 50% failure rate yet performs multiple surgeries per day, they will still have cases to showcase 

Most of not all of the Spanish clinics have techs do extractions now correct? I think for Portugal Pinto still does all the work but not certain about spain

37 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Most of not all of the Spanish clinics have techs do extractions now correct? I think for Portugal Pinto still does all the work but not certain about spain

De Freitas has Techs performing extractions but does the implantation proccess by himself. But that's not just him, Bicer has the same thing going and both are known to be reliable doctors.

• Administrators

I think we're losing sight of what matters the most, which are the results. Modern hair restoration is a team effort, especially as mega sessions gain more popularity. If you have a surgeon with an excellent team that is dedicated to  doing one part of the procedure i.e., implanting, extracting, and they master it. I don't see any problems with it, as long as the results are consistent. I would much rather go to a clinic where the team churns out consistently high quality results, rather than surgeons doing everything themselves, churning out mediocre results. The end result is what matters, we mustn't lose sight of that. 

• Like 4

View my thread

51 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I think we're losing sight of what matters the most, which are the results. Modern hair restoration is a team effort, especially as mega sessions gain more popularity. If you have a surgeon with an excellent team that is dedicated to  doing one part of the procedure i.e., implanting, extracting, and they master it. I don't see any problems with it, as long as the results are consistent. I would much rather go to a clinic where the team churns out consistently high quality results, rather than surgeons doing everything themselves, churning out mediocre results. The end result is what matters, we mustn't lose sight of that. 

Exactly, this has been told over time by people with experience on it (Rolandas, Kevin Mann etc) the whats and how's are less important then the actual work.

Not to forget that a surgeon doing everything by himself can also lead to human errors and transections if not done appropriatelly. 

39 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Not to forget that a surgeon doing everything by himself can also lead to human errors and transections if not done appropriatelly. 

All you need is knowing how to manage the work, if you do a session of 4000/5000 grafts alone in one day (which is humanly impossible) it is obvious that you could go wrong, but if a surgery of 1500/3000 grafts spreads it over 2/3 days, you can do it himself, and Pekiner does it.

41 minutes ago, ITA said:

All you need is knowing how to manage the work, if you do a session of 4000/5000 grafts alone in one day (which is humanly impossible) it is obvious that you could go wrong, but if a surgery of 1500/3000 grafts spreads it over 2/3 days, you can do it himself, and Pekiner does it.

This is a valid point, howeaver what I meant is that you can find good doctors that use competent tech teams in the proccess the same way you can find not so good ones which do the complete proccess. 

In the end, it is the results that count and each one follows their own methodology.

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, ITA said:

It’s impossible for one person, not impossible for a team. As long as there’s a dedicated team doing one thing and one thing only, there’s no issue. The problem with technicians isn’t the technicians themselves. That’s not a good outlook.

There are very talented technicians that value their job. Hasson and Wong have technicians that have been with them for over 20 years. I would put those technicians against any surgeon who’s only been doing it a few years. 

The problem is having a revolving door of technicians with varying degrees of experience and skill. This affects consistency and the results. Hair transplants is all about reducing the variables.

If you have a team with a surgeon and the same technicians performing the same things day in and day out. I see very little difference between a surgeon doing everything themselves, and in fact I believe someone doing everything themselves has a higher chance of surgical fatigue and error. 

• Like 1

View my thread