Oral Minox/Dutasteride and Children

I just want to know has anyone had kids on this site while on dutasteride or oral minoxidil? I feel like I’m getting fear mongered into stopping at that time and of course I will but I genuinely just want to know if it even has a chance of causing negative effects. I feel like getting a hair transplant should be waited until after children if I am going to stop medication for multiple months. So genuinely just curious if it is safe to still take dutasteride and oral minox while trying? 

There is no correlation between oral minoxidil and issues with pregnancy, it’s a blood pressure medication. There have never been any reported complications with a baby conceived on finasteride. Don’t think there is much data on dutasteride and pregnancy but I assume it’s not much different from finasteride, if you are worried than switch to finasteride. Stop getting advice from random strangers on the internet who are scared of taking hair loss meds, discuss it with your doctor.

• Like 2

Just stop dutasteride for 2 months, have a baby, and come back. By that point the exposure for new birth is literally 0 and there is nothing to be paranoid about. It will also make making babies faster and easier.

Don't let anyone stop you take whatever drug you want (esp. without scientific evidence and a clear solution like just stopping for 2-3 months).

• Like 1

I would personally cease Dutasteride before trying to conceive as a precautionary measure and because it does generally help on that side. Even an ardent supporter of using Finasteride or Dutasteride to help slow/stop your hair loss, i will never ever tell somebody "Yeah, absolutely, you'll be fine(!)" but the pamphlet even tells you to keep things away. 

If you're on Oral Minoxodil, as mentioned above i do not think it has any correlation to conception so you could probably keep taking that but stop Finasteride/Dutasteride long enough for the half life to clear your system, give a buffer too and then try conceive and once that process is confirmed, then i guess you can feel confident to resume the medication. The amount of ground you would lose in those months shouldn't be dramatic imo that cannot be recovered or held off from further loss. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses. What is the half life of fin/Dut? I thought that you had to be off them for a year or so but if two months is plenty time just for conception and then once a positive is confirmed you can go back on it then that works. I’m okay losing hair loss ground during those two months if it means the child will be healthy I just wanted to know if having kids while on dutasteride is something that is most of the time if not all safe.

Edited by JoDimaggio22

7 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Thank you all for your responses. What is the half life of fin/Dut? I thought that you had to be off them for a year or so but if two months is plenty time just for conception and then once a positive is confirmed you can go back on it then that works. I’m okay losing hair loss ground during those two months if it means the child will be healthy I just wanted to know if having kids while on dutasteride is something that is most of the time if not all safe.

Half life of Finasteride i think is where it clears within a month. Dutasteride is slower but because its stronger. 

• Like 1

Just now, NARMAK said:

Half life of Finasteride i think is where it clears within a month. Dutasteride is slower but because its stronger. 

Thank you. Online sometimes says 1 week to a month so knowing the legit half life of things before it is out of your system is fairly difficult. Probably a month for fin and a couple for Dut. 

Serum half life of oral finasteride is less than 12 hours. Dutasteride is longer, can take up to 2 weeks.

After 2 month there is literally 0 dut left on your blood. (There will be slight left on tissues but not blood and sperm which is the matter).

Maybe take fin. Stop 1 month before birth. Then switch to Dut after birth. Somethig like this should be fine.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

Serum half life of oral finasteride is less than 12 hours. Dutasteride is longer, can take up to 2 weeks.

After 2 month there is literally 0 dut left on your blood. (There will be slight left on tissues but not blood and sperm which is the matter).

Maybe take fin. Stop 1 month before birth. Then switch to Dut after birth. Somethig like this should be fine.

Thank you a million for this response. I saw online 6 months for Dut and got scared but I’m assuming it means tissues like you said and so 2 months for both should be plenty fine I assume. Once a positive has been determined I can get back on correct? Since I won’t be having sex or anything to cause issues

Yeah, most dermatologists would recommend this stop-2months-and-continue approach. It is overshot on purpose for safety reasons.

I asked quite a few and they said its totally fine in every case. 

Anyhow, ask your practitioner he should have the ultimate say in this!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

Yeah, most dermatologists would recommend this stop-2months-and-continue approach. It is overshot on purpose for safety reasons.

I asked quite a few and they said its totally fine in every case. 

Anyhow, ask your practitioner he should have the ultimate say in this!

It’s totally fine to stay on or totally fine to quit 2 months?

• Valued Contributor
11 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Thanks Gatsby and mr mane. I agree. My worry of losing hair is exponentially less important than my partner and future child. Hopefully I don’t lose too much in 2 months

I honestly believe you will be fine. I have watched a video somewhere before about ceasing minoxidil and it's not an overnight drop off a cliff when it comes to hair loss. I really think you'll be fine! 👌

• Like 2

Just now, Gatsby said:

I honestly believe you will be fine. I have watched a video somewhere before about ceasing minoxidil and it's not an overnight drop off a cliff when it comes to hair loss. I really think you'll be fine! 👌

Thanks Gatsby. I trust you so I’m sure it will stay the same! Always good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well!

Edited by JoDimaggio22
  • Thanks 1

Dropping off 2 months off Fin and Dut shouldn't have a massive impact, probably none. However, minoxidil is def considered a drug that creates a strong shed once you stop it, and it doesn't affect babies in any way or form, so i'd be more worried about stopping minox than fin/dut honestly! 😅

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

Dropping off 2 months off Fin and Dut shouldn't have a massive impact, probably none. However, minoxidil is def considered a drug that creates a strong shed once you stop it, and it doesn't affect babies in any way or form, so i'd be more worried about stopping minox than fin/dut honestly! 😅

I can stay on both oral and topical minox during conception?