Density- grafts per sq cm.

As we all know, realistic expectations is the name of the game. When it comes to graft availability, it’s usually always a given that a more advanced patient will need to compromise density in the crown. With that being said, does anyone have examples or input on how, say 20 or 30 grafts per sq cm looks visually?  Dr. Konior once mentioned even a 10% restoration in the crown would make an impact compared to a shiny bald area. My question is, how thin does a 10-30% restoration appear to the naked eye.  

• Administrators

Watch this

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 8 months later...

@Hair4Days,

To be honest, The final result a.k.a. the overall density will depend on more than simply the number of follicular units per square centimeter.  Other variables include, the number of hairs per follicular unit, hair caliber thickness typically measured in microns, hair color to scalp color ratio, etc.

As a result, 20 to 30 FU/cm2 Will look different on each and every patient. In general however, most people don’t start to notice they are losing their hair until they lose about 50% of their natural  hair density. Typical natural hair density ranges between 80 to 100 FU/cm2 depending on the individual.  This, 50% of these numbers would be between 40 to 50 FU/cm2.

if you figure from there, 30 FU/cm2 can be rather dense looking under most lighting conditions.  That said, 10 can be rather thin looking but it still a whole lot better then being bald.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I also want to add that the number of hairs per follicular unit matters substantially. For example, if you group 30 single haired FUs together in a square centimeter and then compared it to a group of 3 haired FUs put together in a single square centimeters, I think you would see that the latter would be far more dense. So you know honestly, you should really be asking how many pairs per square follicular unit will provide any real illusion of density rather than actual follicular units which vary in size.  I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.