How many grafts do I need?

Hi all,

I am in my mid 30s and have been losing hair since I was around 20 years old. I have been using low dose topical finasteride (1 year), topical alfatradiol (1 year) and keto shampoo (1+ year) and have just started microneedling.  Comparing to my baseline- shedding continues at a similar rate but hair loss appears to have stabilized and I definitely see improvements, hairline has filled in a bit and I see many new hairs coming in.

I am looking at getting a HT and got an estimate of 1600 which seemed low, when I mentioned that, they said we could go up to 2000 if needed.  It still seems a bit low so I wanted to get some input on here.  I am not sure if 2000 will be enough for what I want - see the couple pics below (not worried about the shape just trying to get an idea of the number of grafts).  I am just looking to work on the hairline for now, I hope that with continued treatment and the addition of microneedling the midscalp and crown will improve.

Any thoughts ?

FRONT1 - Copy.jpg

TOP1 - Copy.jpg

LEFT1 - Copy.jpg

RIGHT1 - Copy.jpg

HAIRLINE1 - Copy.jpg

HAIRLINE2 - Copy.jpg

If it's not too soon, around 2000-2500 depends how deep the clinic can go, need more photos with measurements and hair comb backwards, but the hairline you posted is VERY unnatural, too low that touching your forehead muscle with women peaks frame.

Edited by Doron Harati
  • Like 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

Yeah you'd want to bring that line back closer to the current hairline as @Doron Harati suggests and then fill those recessions and have it all balance into the temple area and for that I'd spitball a guess at around like 2500 as well, maybe up to 3k. Keep in mind where the line is drawn isn;t what the look is like when the hair is all grown, the hair extends out some even if styled with gel up. 

@NN32,

I think how many grafts you really need will depend on a number of factors including position and placement of the transplanted hairline, how far back the surgeon is willing to go back beyond the hairline into your existing hair, hair thickness/caliber, etc.  That said, I do think that 2000 to 2500 grafts is a pretty good estimate if you’re just looking at re-creating the hair line and focusing on the front.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.