Hair cut after transplant

I am around 9 weeks post from my HT. I was cutting the sides of my head with a trimmer/clipper but it had touched the implant area (more on the top sides and not the middle). My clinc advised not to use a clipper on the top for around 6 months 

Will this do any harm to implant area or the grafts at this stage.

Note:  I'm also reaching out to my clinic but will also like to hear other experts advise or people similar experience.

If you are still hesitant (What general-etwan said is right) you can use clippers on 4 at the recipient area, but don't let the trimmer touch your scalp, 'air-cut' so to speak. It won't be perfect but trust me, nobody will notice at this point. It's how I manage ugly duckling as well. 

9 hours ago, Daryl said:

I am around 9 weeks post from my HT. I was cutting the sides of my head with a trimmer/clipper but it had touched the implant area (more on the top sides and not the middle). My clinc advised not to use a clipper on the top for around 6 months 

Will this do any harm to implant area or the grafts at this stage.

Note:  I'm also reaching out to my clinic but will also like to hear other experts advise or people similar experience.

@Daryl..I’ve said this before ..waiting 6 months before you buzz be it guard or no guard is a joke 

you’re at 9 weeks …do whatever the hell you want too with youre scalp ..it’s at pre HT scenario 

3 hours ago, StillAlive said:

If you are still hesitant (What general-etwan said is right) you can use clippers on 4 at the recipient area, but don't let the trimmer touch your scalp, 'air-cut' so to speak. It won't be perfect but trust me, nobody will notice at this point. It's how I manage ugly duckling as well. 

Tks. I don't really want to use it on my implant area tbh. Because it's was hard to see with the hairs growing on the sides into the top it was hard to see where the implant area so I cut into it a little. I'm  rocking ugly duckling normal once the sides are short 😎

2 hours ago, Zoomster said:

@Daryl..I’ve said this before ..waiting 6 months before you buzz be it guard or no guard is a joke 

you’re at 9 weeks …do whatever the hell you want too with youre scalp ..it’s at pre HT scenario 

Tks. I guess there is reasoning behind it for saying 3-6 months but not sure of the consequences...by d way it's post HT not Pre. Not sure if I get what you're saying they.

34 minutes ago, Daryl said:

Tks. I guess there is reasoning behind it for saying 3-6 months but not sure of the consequences...by d way it's post HT not Pre. Not sure if I get what you're saying they.

No problem ..what i meant was your scalp at Nine weeks is as it was Pre ( before ) you had youre procedure .

Good luck with your in Coming result 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
3 minutes ago, MazAB said:

I had no issues with trimming with a 0.5 spacer. Just don't go metal plate to scalp. I was EXTREMELY light to the touch and was able to successfully buzzcut my hair without issue. 

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

Can also +1 this. Use a plastic guard (I used a 1 or 2) and just be careful. You're not going to damage or dislodge any grafts after 9 weeks. What you do want to be sensitive of is that your scalp may still be a quite red, so you want to be carefully while it's healing. But otherwise there's nothing to panic about. 6 months is nonsense advice, frankly. I buzzed my recipient area after about 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Daryl,

Don’t worry your grafts are absolutely fine. To be honest, I’m not sure why your doctor would suggest that you can’t use clippers until six months after surgery. Perhaps because the recipient area is still a little tender for a while and if you use the clippers aggressively, you might irritate the scalp. But rest assured the grafts are fine.

To be honest, I used clippers on top of my scalp as early as three weeks after surgery on several occasions and never had any problems.  Of course, I don’t want it to go without saying that it’s always important to use caution when using clippers and to not be overly aggressive.  Again, you won’t harm the grafts this late in the process but you don’t want to cause any scalp irritation.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.